Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I recently start the post about toying with the idea of selling my 1991 420 SEL which we purchase new.

Since there are many post suggest that I should keep the car due to such a low mileage as well as the car is the bulletproof if maintain correctly.

I would like to get your suggestion of what which part I should consider changing due to the AGE of the car and not the mileage.

This is the list of the things I have done to the car last summer:

1) Spark Plugs Changed
2) Fuel Filter
3) Oil Filter
4) Air Filter
5) 4 tires
6) Collant Flush
7) Steering Fluid Flush
8) All rubber belts

As for the rest of the car, they still have the original parts....like timing chain which I know I need to change.

Again, I would like to get your suggestion before bring the car to the merchanic. I would like to get some idea rather go there and know nothing about it. Thank you very much in advance!!

By the way, do anyone know any good INDY in New Jersey area?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
As your car has been sitting for a long time:

1. Differential Oil Change
2. Transmission Oil Change
3. Brake Fluid Change
4. Engine Oil Change
5. Tune Up
6. Maybe have the wheel alignment, brakes and the pads checked?

Recommended repair shops:

U.S. - East - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Capes:

THank you for your suggestion and response.

I also noticed taht you are located in NYC. I used to live in NY before I move to NJ. Can you recomend me of which merchanic (INDY) you are using that familiar with W126?

Thank you

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
I use one in Mineola, LI. He is good and if you are upto the drive, I suggest that you use him to change everything and overhaul your car, after which, use someone nearby for your regular oil changes. Let me know if you want the address and can meet you there as I shall be going there shortly.

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Other than the fluids and the timing chain, I don't know that there is anything you *have* to change unless you are experiencing functional or driving problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts