Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320 (W210)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of restoring my 98 E320. I took a picture of the worst part where the weatherstripping fell off because of the rust. Its a small piece that fits at the bottom of the front fender as you can see in the picture. I've searched many Benz parts stores including Autohauz and I can't seem to find where I can order this 8-12 inch pice of weatherstripping. Can someone tell me what this is and where to order it? Thank you in advance! :)

-K3V

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=459609&stc=1&d=1343848387

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
As the old saying goes,

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
;)

If you look in the stickies there is a link to register for the EPC; you have to use a credit card to verify a US address, but that's it, they don't charge you since you're in the US. Then you can look up every part on your car at your leisure.

However, in this case, that is a dealer (or wrecking-yard) only item, so you may as well go to the dealer and let them look it up and order it for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 E430 (base), 77 450SL, 89 420SEL, 97 E420
295 Posts
The EPC is essential for any and all MB owners HOWEVER, for this kind of part it is almost impossible to find on EPC, believe me I've tried and you have less than a 1% chance of finding trim pieces, especially the smaller ones. I had luck going to Customautotrim.com in San Diego and looking at their on-line catalogue. I was able to find at least 3 different trims that fit items on my car that needed replacement for less than 1/4 of what the dealer wanted, and I got 4 times as much on a roll than if I'd purchased it from MB.

·
Registered
1998 E320 (W210)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Weegee. Yea I went to the scrap yard the other day looking for this small piece of weatherstripping. I figured I would find at least 1 W210 in any model in any condition that may still have that little piece on the body. I mean......even if the car is totalled, and its just a shell, and everyone else has picked it to pieces, that piece may still be on the car.

Well, guess what? Not only did I not find that piece, I didn't find any W210s, in fact.....I didn't find any Mercs at ALL!! And we are talking about a quarter square mile of lined up cars with a pretty large "import" section. I saw lots of Japanese cars and a few VWs and a handful of Volvos and BMWs, but NO Mercs!

I guess that goes to show you that these are fine automobiles that people keep and take care of, and they don't end up in the normal scrap yard auto grave yard. :p

Getting back to the subject, I took my putty knife I had with me and pulled off a piece of rubber door weatherstripping off a old Mazda. I'm probably just going to cut it to the same length and width and just fabricate something for that area to match the other side. I plan on doing a lot of body work in that area anyway, and once I'm done, I plan on completely painting the entire area (including all of the black side curtains/trim around the entire car to match the color of the body). *I'm not a fan of the black bottoms on the 98s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts