Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SEL (255K), 2001 E320 Wagon (147K)
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an exciting topic, but what oil do you all run?
A benz mechanic suggested Rotella (5w-40?), and another suggested Chevron (the same weight).
I have had the car from 172k-206k, and have changed the oil every 2-3000 miles with Castrol syntec blend 10w 30.
Burgie

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
My 500 SEL has a rather persistent little leak so synthetic is ‘contra-indicated.� I use Delo 400 15w 40 in that car – Rotella is pretty much the same, also a 15w 40 oil. I used Rotella in my 300 SE but now I’m using Castrol 20w 50 due to rather high oil consumption with the 15w 40 oil. I also use Rotella in my 300 D.

·
Registered
1986 560 SEL (255K), 2001 E320 Wagon (147K)
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My engine does not leak (at this point), so is it a problem to use this oil, or is the engine better off with the ones you are suggesting? The mechanic said something about thinner oils being "chewed" up to quickly, putting the engine at risk. True?
Burgie

·
Registered
Mercedes 420SEL
58 Posts
Continue using the 10w30 Syntec.
It is not recommended to change oil types too often as it may be detrimental to the engine (I know this is controversial but I agree).

Also, my engine seal was leaking quite persistently. I used a sealer and it cured the problem, no more leak. USE THIS WISELY AS AN ENGINE SEALER WILL SWELL YOUR SEALS!!!

In my case, the swell was just perfect and since I will be rebuilding the engine in the coming future, it wasn't so much an issue.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1988 300 SEL
6 Posts
The Rotella T 5W-40 is a group III synthetic. Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil etc, are group IV/V full synthetics.

The mechanics you talked to were probably saying 15W-40 which would be the regular Rotella, Chevron Delo 400 and you could also throw in Mobil Delvac 1300 for good measure - those are three awesome oils.

I just stuck the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 in mine and it loves it. This is supposedly a consumer offering repackage of their fancy Delvac 1 fleet duty synthetic.

I would also suggest you move up to the 40 weight oil, these engines were designed for the stuff. Any of the oils mentioned here are more than enough if you're changing out 2-3k miles. The Walmart gallong jug of Rotella 5W-40 would be the best buy/performance at that change frequency.

www.bobistheoilguy.com forums will provide you with more oil reading info than you can imagine.

If you're looking to really clean up the engine and fix leaks www.auto-rx.com is the stuff to use.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I run Rotella 15-40 in all my cars that have not had their heads done (well, the 600 gets 15-40 M1). I also use it in most of my clients cars, works great, does a very nice job of cleaning/keeping the internals clean. I can buy a case of 6 jugs for 38$ so price can't be beat. IMHO you can't go wrong w/ it. Just get some good filters (Hengst, Mann, Mahle...No Bosch!) and you'll have many happy miles ahead of you:)

I do offer bulk pricing on my filters BTW!

Jonathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts