Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like another holly war is coming? ;)<br> I think that nowdays as long as they have<br> similar API rating (SJ/CF or whatever) you<br> won't feel any difference. Ever.<br> Personally, i'm using MObil as Mercedes advises.<br> But used to have castrol in my engine for years<br> (previous car).<p>PSYCHOP

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reposted from the SLK forum...

posted by Butch<br> <br> ... available in today's market for major brands!!! Mobil 1 uses PAO or polyalphaolefin as their base fluid; PAO is a well-used synthetic fluid used in cooling radars and other electronic (super-computer) devices for military and aerospace applications. <br> <br> The others including Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc., use a modified petroleum hydrocarbon (dino oil) as their base fluid!!! Yes, the same stuff that comes out of the ground slightly modified and they advertise them as 'synthetic'!!!<br> <br> How did this happen, you ask? The API or American Petroleum Institute within the last year allowed these companies greater latitude in the definition amd composition of 'synthetic' motor oils!!! In essence, they argued that their modified dino oil meets the 'basic chemical structural' requirements of synthetic motor oil and the API capitulated (or maybe was afraid of a lawsuit, who knows)!!! Mobil of course dissented and kept using their true synthetic formula!<br> <br> Essentially, the other's new formula is much cheaper to produce, but whether they truly meet the tried and race-proven performance enhancing attributes of a true synthetic like Mobil 1, I'm not really sure and I'm not willing to switch either anyway just to find out! I'd rather pay $4-plus or more and get the real stuff than to pay almost the same amount for cheap misleading imitations with huge profit margins to offset costs of clever advertising!!! <p>MBNZ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts