Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my front speakers is blown. I have a vintage Denon HU that is running off the stock wiring.

I asked the dealer about replacement OEM speakers (not ready to upgrade the system and rewire at this time) and he quoted $110 for the pair.

I'm pretty sure the MB Quart 4" Discus speakers will sound better than the OEM ones, but they are rated for 4 ohms... will this cause any problems with stock wiring? Will I somehow end up blowing my rears? I don't really listen to the radio that loudly, but it has gotten to the point where the front right speaker pops all the time will very little bass now. I just want a decent sounding speaker and don't want to spend much more than what the dealer quoted me for OEM, but if possible, I would make the cheap upgrade to the MB Quarts for the time being, seeing as they are probably only $10-$15 more than OEM.

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
Most or all car speakers are 4 ohm. House speakers are 8 ohm.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
I believe the benz are 8ohm stock since they run in parallell. I find it hard to believe the Becker is 2ohm capable.

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
If your running the stock deck I wouldn't run the MB's. I thought you had an after market deck.

·
Registered
1984 300D TurboDiesel
11 Posts
Are you sure they run in parallel? Each speaker should have its own dedicated channel, (R/L/F/R) of course depending on the HU. Parallel / Series only applies with multiple speakers are on the same circuit/channel. One speaker per channel, as with most stock configs, will most likely be 4 ohms.

Plus, if you're limiting your choices to the MB Quart because it drops in easily without affecting stock appearance, you can always install the speakers from under the dash giving you more room and virtually limitless choices with 3.5" - 4" speakers.

I went with the MBQuart's myself, but that was before I realized the under dash install would be just as easy. There's particulars on it in the sound forum.

FYI... the best online pricing I found was at millionbuy.com.

I'm running (its all sitting on my living floor right now, but will install next week after my finals are over, I'll provide pics and diagram) MB Quartz for the front and rear stage (sticking with the whole german car = german speakers theme) with 2 x 12" punch stage3's in the trunk. all powered with rockford/fosgate amps (made in the USA) Though my HU is made in thailand (pioneer).

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
The stock ones? Absolutely. You only get 2 channels off the stock setup and 4 speakers. They go parallel at the fader.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
The stock ones? Absolutely. You only get 2 channels off the stock setup and 4 speakers. They go parallel at the fader.
Yep, he is right.

I have my fader disabled and the wires separated to feed each speaker separately.

The older car systems were 8ohm speakers. With newer high powered stuff rolling out, resistance dropped to 4 then to 2 ohm.

·
Registered
1984 300D TurboDiesel
11 Posts
That's good to know! Sorry, I'm still working on getting my w123ish down.

But, this means I'll have 4 spare 8 ohm speakers next week, if anyone wants em. Just pm me. I'm sure they still work, the antenae shorted out on the previous owner last January and I get white noise when I turn it on, but I don't have any tapes to test with. Plus, next week they are making way for some new ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts