Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i have a problem with the throttle housing because the workshop has identified tha code for that. They did reset the error without changing the throttle housing. I thought it was to expensive and i am now searching for a used one instead.

I'm planning to buy a OBD-II reader. The plan is to be able to read and reset diagnostic errors from my V280. Mosta cars have the "standard" OBD-II connector but Mercedes is using a 38pin connector and for that i need to buy an adapter.

On eBay they sell handheld OBD-II readers from just 50 euros but i asume that the quality comes with the money.

So give me a recomendation on what to buy ;)

/Johan

Wishlist:
I have read somewhere that it is possible to get live data from OBD-II but that is up to the manufacturer if they want to support that. And if that is possible on Mercedes i need a software solution that i can run on my laptop.

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDi year:2001
303 Posts
I've bought one of those merc diagnostic modules with carsoft software. Now I need to buy a bargain bucket laptop to put the software on and plug it all together with the laptop-module-van. Possiblity of getting a laptop this weekend. Will let you know the joys I have with it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
gents, gents, please, for your own sake, educate yourself well before going down this road. Please dont think I am presuming anything about your level of intelect, its just that this is a mine field when it comes to MB.
4xpaws, you no doubt have CS7.4 and the rect alum box with the cables, this should work better on your 112 which is pre 2004 and therefor pre CAN network. I can tell u definitivly that CS7.4 does not work with later model Vito's despite being told contrary by the vendor. Please let me know how well this works with your van.
I can read some basic data (engine rpm etc) but many modules are not interfaced and some are but cant be reset, this all obviously relates to my 115

Utopiaz, go to mp3car.com and check out the OBD forum, also do an OBD or Carsoft search on the SLK forum and read that very long thread, basically, you will be able to sit back and learn from everybodies pain, mine included
Johan, the 38 pin connector needs to have an interface tells the software which pin to poll/interogate/connect to on the mercs, without it, its a painfll process.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read the thread and it was quite educaional.

If i understood everything correct Mercedes isn't 100% OBD compatible but somehow OBD compliant :confused:

My car is a V280 modelyear -99. So the "best" way to go might be with Carsoft and a mux if i want to be able to read more than just error codes. An alternative would be a solution with a simpler interfacebox and swap cables. :confused:

/Johan

·
Registered
311 Posts
cool, the merc is OBD2 compliant, depending on which country you are.

My best summary of the OBD situation is as follows:

Certain countries mandated/forced vehicle suppliers to make certain information available off the ECU. This information is mostly limited to emmissions etc. It, is in my understanding, not compulsory to make all the information available for any testing house to read. So in the case of merc, it seems that they have made use of the vehicles on-board computer to allow some information to be made available to any tom/dick or harry, more complex information and fault codes is not covered by the OBD 2 agreement.....sorta!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4xpaws said:
I've bought one of those merc diagnostic modules with carsoft software. Now I need to buy a bargain bucket laptop to put the software on and plug it all together with the laptop-module-van. Possiblity of getting a laptop this weekend. Will let you know the joys I have with it.
Did you manage to test the gear?

/Johan

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm intrigued to know how well it will work after reading some of the other posts. Still no laptop though. Will try again next weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4xpaws said:
I'm intrigued to know how well it will work after reading some of the other posts. Still no laptop though. Will try again next weekend.
Looking forward to the report ;)

/Johan

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here’s the results. The software was easy to install with clear instructions. Plug the laptop-module-van all together. Set the interface selection to OBD, turn the ignition key to position 2 and start the general digital test. It came up with the following (up to the line).

The modules with an “X” in front I definitely haven’t. I’ve got ABS… but its supposedly not responding!.

The modules with an “??” in front I don’t know whether my vito has got them, or if the interface isn’t up to it.

Complete diagnosis

CDI diagnosis - > Status: ERROR -> Read the error memory
ABS - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X AIRBAG - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
?? Brake assist (BAS) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
?? Instrument Cluster - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X Gearbox control unit (EGS) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x AIRCO - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x Pneumatic system (PSE) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x Parktronic system (PTS) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x AirMatic/Active Body Cont (ABC) -Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
?? Signal acquisition module (SAM) -Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X Headlight range adjust. (HRA) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X Door control module (DCM) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond

- Complete diagnosis completed

I then ran the individual test on the CDI module to get the codes: Some or all of these codes relate to the air in the fuel line problem I had and the EPC light coming on. Some could be due to when one of the ECU fuse’s was missing. (See my previous post to see the problems I've had!).

I cleared all the codes tested a few days later and the list was now empty.

I don’t know what order they’re chucked out ? Codes most recent = top of the list, or whether they're the ones at the bottom?

Going by my air in fuel line problem, which was a loose drain plug on the fuel filter, these codes would’ve sent me on a goose chase p**sing around with the cam shaft sensor etc.

Single diagnosis CDI - Status: ERROR

Module Info : CDI
Module : CDI 1
MB - Nr. : 611 153 67 79
Supplier : Bosch
Hardware-Version : 33/98
Software-Version : 29/00
Diagnosis recogn. : 1/06 cdi_feh.dxt _

P1630 Drive authorization signal (FBS) Signal

--> The error will be stored within a few seconds.
--> The Electronic power control (EPC) light does not light.
--> Engine does not start

--> Possible causes:
- FBS does not respond
- Starting attempt with locked FBS
- FBS responds with a wrong code

P1187 Rail pressure monitoring
--> The EPC control light is on.
--> Emergency switch off.

--> Possible causes:

- Maximum pressure: 1450 bar
- Rail pressure to low
- It is impossible to produce the pressure.
- Pressure valve stuck
- Adjustment out off tolerance (> 1500 tr)

P1221 Controller Area Network (CAN) communication / traction systems, faulty.
--> The EPC control light does not light.
--> Perform a diagnosis of the traction control unit.

P1354 Synchronization between camshaft and crankshaft
--> It is impossible to start the engine.
--> Pin Setup crankshaft: 1: Sensor Ground; 2: Signal
--> Pin Setup camshaft: 1: Sensor Ground ; 2: Signal ; 3: +12 V

--> Possible causes :

- Camshaft frequency to high
- RPM not plausible
- Camshaft Signal missing

P1335 Crankshaft position sensor
-->The error will be stored within a few seconds.
-->The EPC control light does not light.
-->The CDI control unit is in emergency program.
-->Pin Setup : 1 : Masse Sensor; 2 : Signal

-->Possible causes :

- Signal to high : Sensor dirty, Montage Sensor, Wires and plugs
- RPM Jump : Acceleration impossible : Crankshaft Sensor, Isolation sensor, CDI control unit.

P1482 Preglow output
-->Preglow light lights until the problem disappears.
-->Pin Setup: 1: Ground; 2: Communication

- Single diagnosis completed

Finally, I had a go at the 'CDI injector test' – that worked, although haven’t a clue how to interpret the results. - see fresh thread

I haven’t tried the 'CDi live data' yet (rpm, coolant temp, intake air temp, engine torque, air flow, injection pressure, speed, throttle valve position).

The individual 'ABS brake activation' didn’t work – no surprise as it couldn’t talk to the module in the original general diagnosis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a long period of searching the net for a proper solution i finally bought a Mercedes Multiplexer from eBay in Germany. Fast shipping and a reasonable price (190 euros incl. shipping).

I brought my old laptop (IBM with WinXP) from the celler and installed Caroft 7.4 with some servicepacks etc. Connected the multiplexer with the supplied serial cable and connected the other 38pin cable to the diagnostic port of the car.

It couldn't have been easier i think. But when i try to get readings from the car i don't get any data. I get an error that says "Single diagnosis EGS - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond ! 8 Diagnosis terminated !"

IT doesn't matter what module i try the error is still the same. I have read on the Net that the computerMUST have a physsical com port, not a USB to serial converter. Nad that is what i use on my laptop. I have also tried another laptop with a USB to serial converter and i get exactly the same behavior. From what i can tell Carsoft communicates with the multiplexer. i hooked up a serial breakout box with leds so that i can se that data is both transmitted and recieved.

It seems like Carsoft recognicis the multiplexer but there is no response from the modules in my car. The multiplexer look exactly like the one on the picture and Carsoft was downloaded from a torrent.

Could it be that i have to put the car i some kind of diagnostic mode before reading the modules or do you guys (and girls) have any other idea on how to solve my problem.

/Johan

I forgot to mention that my car is a V280 modell year 1999 ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just read the threads on this post. Code p1630 sounds a bit familiar!!? looks like I saved £170!

Utopiazz, its been a while since I last used my laptop & carsoft but re-reading my thread you've got to have the key in the van turned to position 2 for all the kit to start talking to each other. Have you done this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have put the key in position 2. The difference from your car i think is that i have a 38pin connector whilst you have a standard OBDII connector. Am i wright or wrong about this?

One test i havent done so far is to set Carsoft to OBD despite that i use the 38pin connector. I will give that i try tomorrow.

/Johan

·
Registered
108d big orange shaggin wagon v280 639 109
280 Posts
After a long period of searching the net for a proper solution i finally bought a Mercedes Multiplexer from eBay in Germany. Fast shipping and a reasonable price (190 euros incl. shipping).

I brought my old laptop (IBM with WinXP) from the celler and installed Caroft 7.4 with some servicepacks etc. Connected the multiplexer with the supplied serial cable and connected the other 38pin cable to the diagnostic port of the car.

It couldn't have been easier i think. But when i try to get readings from the car i don't get any data. I get an error that says "Single diagnosis EGS - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond ! 8 Diagnosis terminated !"

IT doesn't matter what module i try the error is still the same. I have read on the Net that the computerMUST have a physsical com port, not a USB to serial converter. Nad that is what i use on my laptop. I have also tried another laptop with a USB to serial converter and i get exactly the same behavior. From what i can tell Carsoft communicates with the multiplexer. i hooked up a serial breakout box with leds so that i can se that data is both transmitted and recieved.

It seems like Carsoft recognicis the multiplexer but there is no response from the modules in my car. The multiplexer look exactly like the one on the picture and Carsoft was downloaded from a torrent.

Could it be that i have to put the car i some kind of diagnostic mode before reading the modules or do you guys (and girls) have any other idea on how to solve my problem.

/Johan

I forgot to mention that my car is a V280 modell year 1999 ;)
i ad same problem with some nissan softwhere needed to install a usb bridge thats all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i ad same problem with some nissan softwhere needed to install a usb bridge thats all :thumbsup:
Well, i have the same problem with both a physsical com port and a usb adapter.

I had some spare time this evening and did another test. I tried the software with sellecting to sellect OBD instead of sellecting 38pin. No dofference in behavior. Carsoft displays someting like "bulding communication" and after about 30-40sec it displays "Module is not build in, or does not respond ! 8 Diagnosis terminated !"

It might be a problem with a faulty multiplexer, bad software or my car.

/Johan

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, i have the same problem with both a physsical com port and a usb adapter.

I had some spare time this evening and did another test. I tried the software with sellecting to sellect OBD instead of sellecting 38pin. No dofference in behavior. Carsoft displays someting like "bulding communication" and after about 30-40sec it displays "Module is not build in, or does not respond ! 8 Diagnosis terminated !"

It might be a problem with a faulty multiplexer, bad software or my car.

/Johan
ad same sort of problem so was told to install a usb bridge can be found in a fue places will try to find the one i used :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here’s the results. The software was easy to install with clear instructions. Plug the laptop-module-van all together. Set the interface selection to OBD, turn the ignition key to position 2 and start the general digital test. It came up with the following (up to the line).

The modules with an “X” in front I definitely haven’t. I’ve got ABS… but its supposedly not responding!.

The modules with an “??” in front I don’t know whether my vito has got them, or if the interface isn’t up to it.

Complete diagnosis

CDI diagnosis - > Status: ERROR -> Read the error memory
ABS - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X AIRBAG - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
?? Brake assist (BAS) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
?? Instrument Cluster - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X Gearbox control unit (EGS) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x AIRCO - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x Pneumatic system (PSE) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x Parktronic system (PTS) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
x AirMatic/Active Body Cont (ABC) -Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
?? Signal acquisition module (SAM) -Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X Headlight range adjust. (HRA) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond
X Door control module (DCM) - Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond

- Complete diagnosis completed

I then ran the individual test on the CDI module to get the codes: Some or all of these codes relate to the air in the fuel line problem I had and the EPC light coming on. Some could be due to when one of the ECU fuse’s was missing. (See my previous post to see the problems I've had!).

I cleared all the codes tested a few days later and the list was now empty.

I don’t know what order they’re chucked out ? Codes most recent = top of the list, or whether they're the ones at the bottom?

Going by my air in fuel line problem, which was a loose drain plug on the fuel filter, these codes would’ve sent me on a goose chase p**sing around with the cam shaft sensor etc.

Single diagnosis CDI - Status: ERROR

Module Info : CDI
Module : CDI 1
MB - Nr. : 611 153 67 79
Supplier : Bosch
Hardware-Version : 33/98
Software-Version : 29/00
Diagnosis recogn. : 1/06 cdi_feh.dxt _

P1630 Drive authorization signal (FBS) Signal

--> The Electronic power control (EPC) light does not light.
--> Engine does not start

--> Possible causes:
- FBS does not respond
- Starting attempt with locked FBS
- FBS responds with a wrong code

P1187 Rail pressure monitoring
--> The EPC control light is on.
--> Emergency switch off.

--> Possible causes:

- Maximum pressure: 1450 bar
- Rail pressure to low
- It is impossible to produce the pressure.
- Pressure valve stuck
- Adjustment out off tolerance (> 1500 tr)

P1221 Controller Area Network (CAN) communication / traction systems, faulty.
--> Perform a diagnosis of the traction control unit.

P1354 Synchronization between camshaft and crankshaft
--> It is impossible to start the engine.
--> Pin Setup crankshaft: 1: Sensor Ground; 2: Signal
--> Pin Setup camshaft: 1: Sensor Ground ; 2: Signal ; 3: +12 V

--> Possible causes :

- Camshaft frequency to high
- RPM not plausible
- Camshaft Signal missing

P1335 Crankshaft position sensor
-->The CDI control unit is in emergency program.
-->Pin Setup : 1 : Masse Sensor; 2 : Signal

-->Possible causes :

- Signal to high : Sensor dirty, Montage Sensor, Wires and plugs
- RPM Jump : Acceleration impossible : Crankshaft Sensor, Isolation sensor, CDI control unit.

P1482 Preglow output
-->Preglow light lights until the problem disappears.
-->Pin Setup: 1: Ground; 2: Communication

- Single diagnosis completed

Finally, I had a go at the 'CDI injector test' – that worked, although haven’t a clue how to interpret the results. - see fresh thread

I haven’t tried the 'CDi live data' yet (rpm, coolant temp, intake air temp, engine torque, air flow, injection pressure, speed, throttle valve position).

The individual 'ABS brake activation' didn’t work – no surprise as it couldn’t talk to the module in the original general diagnosis.
very interesting reading this, i havent been able to start my van for nearly two months ..had the codes read ..and SYNCHRONIZATION between camshaft and crankshaft came up...has anyone else had this and actully been able to fix it.. would like to know what or how to fix it ...vet-racer

·
Registered
V280 LPG 2000
341 Posts
utopiazz: Did you get your problems sorted out? I want to buy one of these but am worried that some of them being sold don't work. They are bit expensive for door stops!

·
Registered
V280 LPG 2000
341 Posts
nail it, or anyone: Have you been able to access the TCU your v280? I've read that carsoft 7.4 can't.

Have you tried using vag-com with the multiplexor? It's a VAG TCU, though I don't think you need a multiplexor to use vag-com on VAG vehicles. Maybe one of those cables where you manually select the connected pin would do it. :dunno:

·
Registered
280 Posts
nail it, or anyone: Have you been able to access the TCU your v280? I've read that carsoft 7.4 can't.

Have you tried using vag-com with the multiplexor? It's a VAG TCU, though I don't think you need a multiplexor to use vag-com on VAG vehicles. Maybe one of those cables where you manually select the connected pin would do it. :dunno:
just looking in to it my self as in software and leads don't wanna wast money on stuff that wont work
must be some one who knows or some thing that works on the pc ?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
utopiazz: Did you get your problems sorted out? I want to buy one of these but am worried that some of them being sold don't work. They are bit expensive for door stops!
Nope, not yet. Still cant read any data from my car. I have tried another solution that i borrowed from a mechaninc so i know that the problem isnt my car. I have also connected a seriall protocoll analyzer between my laptop and the box and the communication works fine as far as i can tell.

I have sent couple of messages to the seller but my mail server went down the other day so i dont know i he has answered yet.

/Johan

1 - 20 of 56 Posts