Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, a repost from the Off-Topic. But for W123 owners, it got me curious as to what kind of music you listen to.

Here are some CD's I have in my car:

Rock/Alternative--

Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Best of RHCP
U2 - Best of U2/The B Sides
Five For Fighting - Battle For Everything
Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts
Empire Records - Original Sound Track
Korn - Korn

Some other alternative songs burned in MP3

Soft--
Tuck & Patti - Tears of Joy
Pat Coil - Steps
Enya - A Day Without Rain

Pinoy/Tagalog [:D]--
Eraserheads - Anthology
Parokya ni Edgar - Bigotilyo
Parokya ni Edgar - Buruguduystunstugudunstuy

When I copy all of these into MP3 I can burn a CD with 400 songs on it, like a virtual CD changer

[8D]

·
Registered
'72 220d, 250td, e320cdi
249 Posts
um... lots of tupac and rap [:I] also some old school rock and lots of other random stuff [:)]

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
i use an ipod flash player with a tunecast fm transmiter and play whatever it auto fills. the player fits right in that dead spot next to the shifter and the lip on the console. when apple says its as big as a pack of gum, they mean it!

ii HIGHLY reccommend the iPod line of MP3 players;)

mostly Bjork, Tori Amos, the Cranberries, Sinead O'Connor and Natalie Merchant.

Im not adverse to playing miscellanea(sp?) either, usually a smattering of Lisa Loeb, Nirvana, Jimmi Hendrix, Bobby Gentry and soome crazy off-the -wall shit like Tina Turner(the private dancer song is my new favorite "play-it-on-a-loop" song, i just laugh hardcore when i make the noises that woman makes!)

as an aside, ive been toying with the idea of adding some kind of a/v unit to the car, but im thinking i;d need to be a programmer to do anything like that!

as another aside(im ADD) how easy is it to fit rear speakers and the fader switch to a standard 240D that wasnt fitted with them as factory? i'd like to see a link/pictures of the parts if possible, 2 speakers is ok in this old car, im used to only having one speaker in front and all the engine noise in the back(ole vws)

as a line of conversation with you K, doesnt that color remind you of vomit a little? im not dissin, its a beautiful car and very shiny as well! i just passed up one exactly the same because it reminded me too much of unsavory things heh heh it was manual, though and i prefer a manual to the auto.

anyhoo, this is getting long and i have to go get supplies for an artwork for class. take care, nice topic as a departure from the usual fix-it topics, K!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I save up, I might take a look into that iPod. Is that compatible with PC's? I don't want to get an iPod if it won't be compatible with my PC. But my car already has MP3, so there might be no need for it. I don't usually walk around listening to music--I pay attention to what's going on [:D]

as an aside, ive been toying with the idea of adding some kind of a/v unit to the car, but im thinking i;d need to be a programmer to do anything like that!
It could be done, but some rewiring will be in order. Do you drive with a passenger often?

as another aside(im ADD) how easy is it to fit rear speakers and the fader switch to a standard 240D that wasnt fitted with them as factory? i'd like to see a link/pictures of the parts if possible, 2 speakers is ok in this old car, im used to only having one speaker in front and all the engine noise in the back(ole vws)
Like above, it could be done, and rewiring will be needed. You might also need to change your center console trim, or just use the head unit fader itself. That way you can use an extra switch on the center console--for an alarm, Euro light height adjuster, or something else of your liking.

as a line of conversation with you K, doesnt that color remind you of vomit a little? im not dissin, its a beautiful car and very shiny as well! i just passed up one exactly the same because it reminded me too much of unsavory things heh heh it was manual, though and i prefer a manual to the auto.
Actually I like the color, it's a pleasant color that isn't at extremes like Race Yellow on some newer cars. I got used to it also, and when I walk around my car the tone changes. One time it's plain Manila Beige, the next it's a different tone (like the usual beige), and the next it would be a bit brighter than usual. No offense taken [:)]

anyhoo, this is getting long and i have to go get supplies for an artwork for class. take care, nice topic as a departure from the usual fix-it topics, K!
If I may ask, do you take art classes? If you're in College are you majoring in Art? I'm thinking of shifting to Art classes.

------------------------------------------------------

By the way, if anybody still has the stock Becker Europa/Gran Prix, is it hard to find cassette tapes to listen to?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deathrattle - 2/21/2005 2:01 PM

All MB should carry a little Wagner on board,just to get you in the mood[}:)]
Umm, what's a Wagner? [?][8)]

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I have a Creative Labs Zen Touch 20GB MP3 player, which is just like an IPOD but better and cheaper. I usually have a playlist of 1500-2000 songs playing on random. Everything from Beatles - Radiohead - Snoop Dogg - Wilco. It's cool, kinda like my own personal radio station without comercials.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deathrattle - 2/21/2005 2:20 PM

BTW Karugs-ipod works fine on PC but you are limited the the apple s/w.On the other hand i have heard very mixed reports on the tunecast gadget.Probably you should try before you buy.
I'm not much of a techie, so I'll just pass on this one. Besides, it's not my nature to walk around listening to music. Think I've outgrown it already...

By the way, the smell that kicks me in the morning is the smell of my car's interior. Dunno, it has a unique smell to it. Benz smell? That napalm would also work [:D]

Steven, that's alot of songs! I too would sometimes play my songs in random.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
yeak, k im a drawing major here at the university of montevallo(www.montevallo.edu) if youre interested=)

its fun stuff! like whomever said, the ipod will work on both platforms, and you have to use itunes to manage your music.(free songs on pepsi caps right now! im up to 12;)

ive never met a knock-off iPod i liked.

the tunecast works VERY well in the Mercedes because of all the metal. in the neon it just plain sucks because of this safety stuff these days, everything has to be covered in plastic or some other material.

i sit the transmitter up on the ashtray touching the radio and its almost as good as the neons reception with the physical line-input jack.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Well, it depends.

When I went to the office:
- 90's and today's hits,
- Light rock (Def Leppard, Van Halen, Firehouse)
- HardRock 87,6FM

When I go home:
Love songs.

[:)]

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Usually rock and techno (trans, house, whatever you want to call it [:D])

Anyway, Im getting the factory Becker with tape player so I can use my iPod.

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
cake

·
Registered
1975 200 (sold); 1978 200 (sold); 1979 300TD (sold); 1985 230E
122 Posts
hmmm. i listen to the sweet sound of my diesel engine... i dont have a head unit installed on my car.. hehehe...:D

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
iNeon - 2/21/2005 5:19 PM
ive never met a knock-off iPod i liked.
Creative Labs introduced the original hard drive MP3 player, the NOMAD Jukebox which I also own, several years before the IPOD came out. The IPOD is a poor quality, overpriced knockoff of the Creative Labs MP3 players.

·
Registered
W123 280E
112 Posts
Rock and Metal. Some examples, in random order:

-Turbonegro
-U.D.O.
-To/Die/For
-Sonata Arctica
-Peer Günt
-Accept
-Dreamtale
-Kilpi
-Children Of Boredom
-Running Wild
Many Finnish bands.

·
Registered
200 -85 / 280E -79
1,221 Posts
Mostly Baroquemusic. Most Johann Sebastian Bach. He´s the best! [:)]

·
Registered
'81 300TD
215 Posts
alternative, lounge/electronica/techno, rock, 80's new wave, alternative country/cowpunk, bluegrass, punk, Spongebob Squarepants Soundtrack (when kids are in car)...

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like a variety of music, just like the variety of owners. Let's keep them coming, it's getting more interesting.

GreenWagon, I used to listen to that same music too, until I couldn't stand having no music any more and got myself a CD/MP3 player. Now I can listen to my music, the radio, and tune in to AM band if the traffic is bad.

Onkel, I remember you said you're a musician, right? My dad likes classical music too. Nothing in particular as I can't remember the names.

Sivonen, is that what you call grunge music?

Oh, here's a good question to add: Do you listen to the music with your windows up or down? [:D]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
windows up unless im smoking, then its down cuz i dont use the ashtray=)

i dont really believe in annoying people and creating unwanted noise pollution(aside from the engine noise now, which isnt that loud other than in park/neutral).

i cant stand it when im trying to take an exam and someone drives by in a bumblebee civic blasting bump bump music trying to revv it to 5000rpms on the nice cobbled streets...

as an aside, the mercedes has very classic lines, and rides VERY well on the cobbled streets at school! looks nice with the classical brick architecture as well=)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts