Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen dozens (actually 51) car buffers on eBay but no Porter Cable, and I can't find one anywhere much less than $100 while all other brands seem to price anywhere from $20 up. Why are they so special? And are they fool-proof (and you gotta know me to understand how serious I am about that question)? [:eek:)]

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Its the quality. The $20 polishers you see are worth just that, $20. Cheap plastic and no control over RPMs.

You can pick up a Porter Cable at your local Lowes or Home Depot. The box calls it a "Dual Action Sander/Polisher"

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

As for the "fool Proof" anything in the hands of a fool will not be fool proof. However, the Porter Cable is a Dual Action, i.e. random orbital. You stand much less chance of paint damage using this vs a pure orbital. In the hands of a novice, a pure orbital can easily burn and damage the paint. The dual action makes it easy for even a novice to work with as long as you do your homework and get familiar with what you want to do.

Very good primers on usage exist at www.properautocare.com. However, the Porter Cables there are the high end model (7424)and are pricey. You will get very satisfactory results with the entry level model (7336).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts