Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1997 c230. I wanted to get the H&R 29749-1, but I'm not 100% certain if it's the set I should get. Would I need aftermarket shocks too for lowering springs too? Or could I keep the stock shocks. Also, anyone that has put lowering springs on their 202 experience uneven tire tread?

·
Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
435 Posts
No experience with those H&R's, but I can't see you having any issues with them. They should drop the car by about 40mm depending on what thickness of spring insulation rubbers you use. I fitted Eibach only because I got them at good price at the time compared to the H&R. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the springs without out fitting new shocks, ideally a gas uprated/sport shock like Bilstein, Koni etc. From what I recall H&R offer both springs and shocks as a kit (fairly sure the shocks are made by Bilstein).

As for uneven tire wear, those new springs and shocks will have no effect, uneven tire wear would be due to incorrect alignment or worn suspension/steering parts. My advise would be to sort out the suspension/steering first before changing the springs and shocks.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,392 Posts
Dropped ours with eibach springs. And then adjusted a more detailed height with the appropriate spring pads (dots 1 - 5). You WILL also need a rear camber adjustment kit (fleabay) and one for the front camber and caster (kMac).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Dropped ours with eibach springs. And then adjusted a more detailed height with the appropriate spring pads (dots 1 - 5). You WILL also need a rear camber adjustment kit (fleabay) and one for the front camber and caster (kMac).
That's strange. I'd no requirement for either the K-Mac kit or adjustable rear camber arms. Just fitting eccentric bolt adjusters on the front lower arms kept everything with specification with a total drop of 35-40 mm front & rear. After 25,000 miles on two sets of tires none were unevenly worn, even with 8'' rims & 225/50's on the rear. And I'd have major reservations using the K-Mac's as there has been several reports (here in Europe, anyway) that over time the bushes voluntarily turn in the arms.

I reckon the best way after fitting lowering springs is to get the alignment done and then go from there. I'll be getting my own C230K's alignment done again soon and I'm expecting that it will align within specification.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would a 1.5 inch drop mess up my control arms? Or would it come with like a kit to help the control arms deal with the new ride height?

·
Registered
435 Posts
So would a 1.5 inch drop mess up my control arms? Or would it come with like a kit to help the control arms deal with the new ride height?
It may not. Buying springs, you just get springs. As I said, fit the springs and then get the alignment checked and go from there. A spring set for a 40mm (slightly over 1.5'') drop does not necessarily mean that's the drop your particular car will end up with as it depends on the thickness of the spring pads used and the options the car came with from the factory.

If it transpires it's a little low with the new springs and requires camber adjustment (that you don't have), just fit a slightly thicker spring insulator to make life simple, less costly and less hassle. Personally, I see no great benefit in going any lower than 30-40mm.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,392 Posts
That's strange. I'd no requirement for either the K-Mac kit or adjustable rear camber arms. Just fitting eccentric bolt adjusters on the front lower arms kept everything with specification with a total drop of 35-40 mm front & rear. After 25,000 miles on two sets of tires none were unevenly worn, even with 8'' rims & 225/50's on the rear. And I'd have major reservations using the K-Mac's as there has been several reports (here in Europe, anyway) that over time the bushes voluntarily turn in the arms.

I reckon the best way after fitting lowering springs is to get the alignment done and then go from there. I'll be getting my own C230K's alignment done again soon and I'm expecting that it will align within specification.
Agreed, that's what we did.
After installing the eibachs, we could not get the front to the alignment specs. Tried the eccentric bolts on ours and it did not reach alignment to specs. Switched to KMacs and that took care of it.
Dropping via lowering springs will always vary from owner to owner on the same models.
People/members always discuss general spring, shock, pad changes and the final ride heights. And with all the w202, w210 owners that I have met and spoken to here at some of the local meets, the ride heights will vary right across the board using the same make lowering springs along with pads. Same model using same lowering springs will not necessarily result in the same drop.
The eibachs we picked up, we removed from a pickn pull same year make model w202 as ours (by chance only - 99 c230K) with 17" wheels and pad#2 all around. Only difference was we had 16" wheels and oem #3 front and #4 rear pads (oem shocks). There was no apparent -ve camber visible to the naked eye before we hoisted the parting-out w202.
Initially, we swapped the pads to #2 all around and the -ve camber at the rear was so apparent. The front was also -ve, but not so much (visibly). One of our neighbors has an alignment shop and he drove it to his shop to get the initial adjustments started. Rear definitely needed the camber adjustment kit. The front we were not aware of how bad it was until we saw the spec readings. Front was a no-go without some kit, hence he initially ordered using the eccentric bolt adjusters but it did not even to get it to within close specs, so hence the KMac units - the only solution to get it back to alignment specs. We also checked the oem shocks and they were fine.

·
Registered
435 Posts
the ride heights will vary right across the board using the same make lowering springs along with pads.
Agree, they can vary but usually not too much on the exact same model. Thus, that's a darn good reason not to initially buy rear adjustable camber arms or K-Mac's without getting the alignment checked first.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Agree, they can vary but usually not too much on the exact same model. Thus, that's a darn good reason not to initially buy rear adjustable camber arms or K-Mac's without getting the alignment checked first.
Absolutely.
We decided to leave our eibachs installed and driving several hundred kms to ensure they were settling in, albeit they were used in another MB, before going through with an alignment.

·
Registered
1995 SL320, 1995 SL500, 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
989 Posts
That's strange. I'd no requirement for either the K-Mac kit or adjustable rear camber arms. Just fitting eccentric bolt adjusters on the front lower arms kept everything with specification with a total drop of 35-40 mm front & rear...
I'm with the same experience, did not need k-mac with my old 1998 C230 using Carlsson springs/Bilstein B8 combo still have no issues with this 1998 C280, H&R (blue)/Bilstein B8 combo. Alignment within specs and no abnormal wear for the past 90K miles since this suspension update many years ago.

e_code_ambers_smaller by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Regards,
D

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,830 Posts
If you want the looks by all means go with the above solutions. If you want to maximize handling / grip, lowering springs are not the way to go. Some suspension compliance actually improves grip! If this is what you want, I would personally go for my setup : factory sport package springs (stiffer than regular springs) with #1 spring pads. This will leave you at more or less the same height (perhaps slightly lower), but your car will corner like a go-kart. I've used Bilstein B8 shocks too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts