Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized I need to change the oil in the 240d and figured I'd just quickly go to the place near me. they said they couldnt do it b/c it was a diesel and they didnt have the right oil. another place said they could do it for $65....that seems way too high, no? what oil should I look for. also, what weight should I get to prepare for the cold winter months here in New England? thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
For new england, I'd try Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40, supposedly $13/gallon at Wal-Mart.

For new england, I'd try Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40, supposedly $13/gallon at Wal-Mart.

If you like conventional, look in the manual for the suggested grade based on ambient temperature, and look for a API CI-4 rated oil, like Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, or Pennzoil LongLife, which are all about $7/gallon.

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
OIl

If you are in RI you can find 15-40 Rotella for 7$ a gallon @ wal mart, a little more @ your local shell station. I am in the midwest and it is sub 7$ I have noticed a major change in oil consumption since I've owned my car and replaced and maintained all filters. Went to a 20-50 when I thought I had a leak or bad rings but since then I've realized the 15-40 Rotella works nice I still typically put in a quart every 1000 mi, a small price to pay for a damn reliable car... also these cars have a healing factor when their new owners take proper care...

Smile

r*

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
$65 seems pricey. I have carried a container from Walmart and changed oil along the road o...

$65 seems pricey. I have carried a container from Walmart and changed oil along the road on long trips.
Filters made in India or with the Fram name tend to come apart too. Hecht is my favorite and Mann works fine too.

I am curious how you have made out with the Porsche's.
Daughter has been hoping I would find her one. I have had my eyes out half seriously for a sleeper or mechanics special.
John Gregg

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
made out well w/ the porsches so far. I think the 944 is a great first car for a respon...

made out well w/ the porsches so far. I think the 944 is a great first car for a responsible kid. safe substantial body for a sports car, not too much HP, but enough to have fun and handle it properly. It was my second car after a $600 BMW. I do all the work on it myself now. the NA cars are not that bad maintenence wise. as with anything, treat it well, it it will do the same to you. the 914 is a dedicated autocross car in the works..havent driven it much yet, but dont think that it would be a great everyday car for a student.

·
Registered
85 300cd, 2000 ford excursion diesel, 1999 528 itwagon 95 roadking
371 Posts
I buy rotella for my excursion diesel at bjs wholesale.I drive the hell out of my 85 cd and buy esso oil 10/40 year round. this helps in mass. winters. look at a bottle of oil, see the round seal printed api instutute? the letters sh,sj,sk are letters the instutute uses to give ok for the use of this oil in this engine,.sh means non turbo, sj means ok turbo dieseland lumped them into 1 sk.I never used synthetic in any of my engines but thats a matter of cost for me not quality.autopart international/foriegn autopart sells mann oil filters thats what I use. and autozone will take in used oil even if you didnot buy it there. a 5 gal limate per day.

·
Registered
1983 240D 4 speed
102 Posts
RE: what kind of oil to use? 240D

Mine is a 1983 240D and I use Rotella 15-40 year around and supplement it with Lucas Oil Stabilizer which stretches out oil life (which is already very good). Both these are used in heavy trucks and go 35,000km between oil changes, so should fair even better in your 240D. It does in mine.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
rousch - 5/17/2004 11:21 PM

I buy rotella for my excursion diesel at bjs wholesale.I drive the hell out of my 85 cd and buy esso oil 10/40 year round. this helps in mass. winters. look at a bottle of oil, see the round seal printed api instutute? the letters sh,sj,sk are letters the instutute uses to give ok for the use of this oil in this engine,.sh means non turbo, sj means ok turbo dieseland lumped them into 1 sk.I never used synthetic in any of my engines but thats a matter of cost for me not quality.autopart international/foriegn autopart sells mann oil filters thats what I use. and autozone will take in used oil even if you didnot buy it there. a 5 gal limate per day.

The API “S� rating is for gas engines, S standing for spark ignition – we use “C� rated oil in our engines; it stands for combustion ignition. The letters/numbers after the S or C indicate which version of the API standard applies to the oil. Never use S rated oil.

Use a CI – 4 rated oil, 15w 40 – Delo or Delvac are best – in my opinion. [;)]

·
Registered
54 Posts
@Schnell944

Technically...S stands for "service", whilst C is for "commercial". C rated oil is manufactured
to withstand the demands of heavy machinery/rigs/marine/etc, which are primarily diesel but not
always. Most "C" rated oils also have one or more "S" ratings. Modern C ratings are meant
to deal with special demands brought by *newer* diesel engines.

For synthetics?? Amsoil is the best...but the oil still gets dirty in these things rather quick...so it
"may" be a waste of money since you should still change it frequently. I'm going to try their 15-40
synth "blend"...should be fine for 4-5k intervals, and slightly less expensive than the "full" synthetic.

For conventional...any C oil will perform about the same at 3k intervals, even Castrol GTX, which has
'NO' current C rating, is still perfectly safe* (as it meets the CD spec, which has been obsoleted since
96...yet recommended at the time your 240 was new). BUT the most important thing with conventional IMO...ratings/brands aside...is to change it at 3k.

*http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&castrol.html

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Nah, 5,000 miles on conventional is fine

I performed an analysis on my previous interval:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000086

The oil used was the bulk oil at an independent shop, Pennzoil 20w-50, most likely API SL rated only. A motor in decent shape should be able to run a conventional API CI-4 oil for longer than 3,000 miles.

These engines aren't hard on oil, and the thing to watch out for would be soot loading. I've heard that 2.0% is the max amount of soot you ever want to accumulate.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
RE: Nah, 5,000 miles on conventional is fine

Ler - 5/21/2004 5:10 PM

I performed an analysis on my previous interval:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000086
You can see how using a CI – 4 rated oil will help avoid engine wear. Some argue one can extend change intervals going with oil analysis only. Changing every 3000 miles will keep the engine very clean. (Could also be argued it’s even a waste…)[;)][:0]

·
Registered
1983 300SD,1984 300CDT 106k, 98 300 DT
131 Posts
I am using Mobil 1 0w40 oil. I recently found Mobil 1 5w40 that has all/surpasses the diesel specs CH-CI that one can find, that is what will go in next.[:p]

·
Registered
1983 240D 4 speed
102 Posts
RE: what kind of oil to use? 240D

Woah, talk about a misrep ! My last post gave the impression that I let it go to 35,000km before oil changes, but that is not what I meant; I meant that if it worked well in big rigs that it will work even better in Benz, as it does in mine. Regular oil changes are still the order of the day.
Of course for lubricity you can't beat biodiesel as a fuel. It gets MUCH better lubricity than low sulfur fuel and eliminates 15 toxic emmissions in the process [:D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.