Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BOSE AMP in my W210 has given up the ghost. It looks like while the car wasn't in my possession a few of the speakers are duds. They blasted the speakers I assume which was ridiculous. One speaker is just dead, and the other is almost as lifeless as the dud that is INOP at the moment.

I would like to see what some have done to upgrade their stereo system in their W210. I don't really blast music in the car or listen to anything loud but I figure if I am going to upgrade I want something that I can do that option if I feel like I want to crank up Welcome to the Jungle.

I am thinking 600 watts maximum. Without crazy bass and smooth vocals. Hopefully can find something satisfying for this old man without complaining too much about it. :eek:

At this point, I don't foresee myself ever selling the W210 Diesel so I'm not afraid to drop a bit of cash into something I can enjoy for many years to come.

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. 315 views but no replies. I think it's safe to assume no one has updated the W210 audio system in their E-Class? Well, I took my parts cars AMP and speakers so it doesn't sound pitiful like it did before with a couple dead speakers and a bad AMP. This car is too nice not to spend some cash on a good setup so I think I will go for the best possible.

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
To be honest I like the Bose stereo. It doesn't have the big bass of the one in my S500 W140 with the Bose "Beta" system, but it also doesn't have a seven channel amp or four subwoofers either. The only thing I DO want to do with mine is to get an iPhone plug put in so I can use my iPod.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
So many claim to want to upgrade, so before you start, call the dealer and price a replacement headunit then ask the price of a refurbished headunit.
FWIW, a mini IPad trumps all aftermarket headunits, (IMHO) and with the AUX IN mod from Becker you retain the OEM headunit.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes E430 W210 Sport
13 Posts
I just put in a Alpine CDE-HD148BT! It is so much better than the stock HU, but i do wish i would have bought the Alpine CDE-HD149BT instead of the 148 because the aux cord is behind the unit so you run the aux cord up under and into your center console unit.

I have the USB going into my glove box.

·
Registered
W220 s500, W210 E300TD, W124 E280, W124 200E
56 Posts
lots of space

I don't have pics right now, but I added a sony headunit, a large amp and two 10inch subs in the rear parcel shelf along with two 7 by 10's. The sound is difficult to balance front to rear but the frequency response is fantastic volume levels are good. I'm calling it phase 2, phase three will be replacing the front door speakers to equalize volume potential up front. I shall go take photos now.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CFA50293D4C7DDEF!218&authkey=!ABYsOg6cHtyWMXw&ithint=folder,.JPG

here are some photos, bonus points for anyone noting non standard equipment. and a free beer for anyone that can reset the service indicator.
edit, got the fss reset it just needed to roll over to service exceeded I think.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E-320
4 Posts
I have the factory system and I too think it sounds great. Great enough for me that is. I did speak to BenzNL to order the Double-din parts, but I haven't decided if I want to go that route yet. I did remove my CD changer and install the Grom Adapter to give my car the ability to connect my Android phone, ipod, or memory sticks to play music from. Here is what it is. Mercedes Benz 94-98 USB Android iPod Bluetooth adapter

It has worked great for me.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,159 Posts
I have the Bose system in my 99 E320 and I don't like that it (to me) lacks
spatial separation and depth when playing a stereo signal. I feel like I'm in
the middle of sound which is similarly balanced in all directions.

I have an 83 pick up truck with $200 head unit and 10" boxes behind the seat
and it provides a better experience. So something is out of balance to my ears.
It may require better speaker components or crossovers...at least for me.

oh, the bass sounds somewhat flat and the frequencies, say, above 10khz lacks
'presence' and the controls are limited in how you can tune them separately
because you can only adjust 'bass' or 'treble' instead of by frequency ranges
which I feel should contain 3-5 separate controls.

so i have on the project bench, waiting for my busy bu-hind to get to installing
a NOS "Pioneer AVH-P6400BT" which is a single DIN flip up, and rear view camera.

oh, almost forgot i have a pair of 10" for the rear deck, too

(i'm a classical music, jazz and old school rock guy)

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
?

My original Bose system still sounds great. I'm going to add a sub-woofer to get those "basement" organ pipe sounds, though (low C on the big one is down to 16 cycles).
Hemersam

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,099 Posts
Eclipse 7200 & Eclipse Amp, Diamond Audio Speakers,

Super sounding, plays ipod, cds, and streams my iphone.

Discontinued.

·
Registered
98 320
445 Posts
Do you have to modify the rear deck to fit 10" subs?

My non-bose system is basically stock except I found 2 stock rear deck speakers at the junk yard for $5, they make a little difference but not much.

·
Registered
1999 E320
61 Posts
No you don't put the subwoofer on the rear deck. My 10 alpine subwoofer is in a custom fiberglass box sitting on the well on the left side of the trunk.

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No you don't put the subwoofer on the rear deck. My 10 alpine subwoofer is in a custom fiberglass box sitting on the well on the left side of the trunk.
Yeah I didn't intend on hacking up my rear shelf or anything in the first place. Sounds like a good setup. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still have the original BOSE. I find it has no difference compare to the W211's Harman Kardon.
No doubt about that at all. This system is still great. Granite I could repair an AMP and have repaired a few. It is far from difficult task if you are electronically incline, but instead of repairing it I'm just going to treat the girl to a new setup. This AMP in now is better than the last one, but the health of it isn't 100% either.

Plus I don't really trust boneyard AMPs all that much either. Most of the cars that come in are pretty smoked around here when I do see them in yards. So for me it's easier just to replace with a new part in this case. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1998 E430
17 Posts
Sounds like an opportunity to me for a well needed upgraded to your failed system.

Our E430 also had a Bose system, but I ripped it all out years ago. It was honestly, very flat, blah and not very good. I had an Audi also with a Bose system and it was night and day. The Audi system was much better and did not make me want to upgrade.

The system is now on it's second head unit. It's a Pioneer 80PRS. Pretty good. Can plug in an iphone/ipod and get the tunes easily. First head unit was a Sony C90. Really nice sound out of that head unit, but wanted to get the convenience of iPhone/iPod so out it came.

If you do the system right, it means ripping out all the speakers and adding some since the Bose system didn't use all of the space that's there in the car. For the front stage, the car has a Focal 3-way system. 6.5 in the doors (dynamat for vibration), 3 inch in the dash, tweeters in the sail panel. You will need to find a way to mount the tweeters in the sail panels since MBZ does not put a speaker there in the Bose system. I believe the non-bose system does have a tweeter there. The dash speakers were originally just for telephone, but used the location to mount the 3 inch speakers.

The rear doors are Focal 5.25 and the subs are Soundstream 8 inch free air subs mounted where the Bose 6.5 inch drivers were in the rear deck. They are mounted on 1.5 inch baffles glued, screwed and mounted in the factory locations. Dynamat is also used all over the rear deck to eliminate harmonics.

Amps are Alpine. 1 is a 4 channel(4x50) and the other is for the sub. (200w). Nothing fancy, Perhaps an upgrade down the road?

Sound quality is much, much better. Time alignment as well as modern DSP helps with imaging and staging of the sound.

It cost probably 1500 or so?? Don't recall, but in the end, it's well worth it. It's no fun having a crappy sound system in a car that is quiet enough to let you enjoy some tunes.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes E430 W210 Sport
13 Posts
Hey Tim. i do have a question, did you buy any modulators to keep your steeling wheel controls? I have a 2001 e430 with Bose. I saw someone used the pac setup and got theirs working but it was a 2000 and crutchfield said it was incompatible with my car. Just wondering if there was a way to keep my controls since i just upgraded the HU to an aftermarket. thanks

Also, did you find any resources on using an aftermarket amp for the speakers and also about the work on your car that you just mentioned? thanks

·
Registered
1998 E430
17 Posts
Sorry, can't help with the steering wheel controls.

The '98 E430 doesn't have the multi-function steering wheel. Wish it did though.

If you plan to wire up new amps and speakers, it's the same as any car. It is a pretty straightforward install and the W210 is easy to take apart to add the components and wiring. On each side, there are wire channels just under the door thresholds so less interior panels need to be messed with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts