Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most impressive thing you have done with your SLK?

My SLK never ceases to amaze me. Spring is here and I have been driving quite a lot lately. The other day, I was doing 120kmh/75mph on the motorway. All of a sudden, a box fell from another vehicle right in front of me. Without even slowing down, I swerved to avoid hitting the box. The car stayed perfectly on course. No screeching tyres. No dangerous skid. The ESP didn't have to kick in. If wince just thinking of what could have happened if I had been driving one of my old cars.

Yesterday on the same motorway, two young people were tailgating me. They meant no harm. I believe they were just curious and wanted to take a closer look to my SLK (they were gazing at the car and pointing). Again without slowing down, I took my exit (almost the hairpin type) leaving the two kids behind. No screeching tyres still. So far, I have felt safe in this car at any speed. [:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
slk200 k
61 Posts
well i wonder if i got slk 350 what could i have done well guys i was street racing was 98 corvete lol and i kicked his ass really even in while turnin in street my car was more stable than his but when we came to a lond road where this no turns lol he smoked but i was smilling coz i mean i kicked his ass infron alot of people 1.8 engine thanks MB lol[:D] well i took turns on 160 and it was stable in drifting i mean i was able to control the car very good while the corvete couldnt take the same turn with his spead

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
307 Posts
I got pulled over for doing 55mph in a 35mph zone. When the officer asked for my insurance card, I could only find an expired one. (Later I found it in the back of the glove box.)

I didn't get a ticket.

I was amazed.

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
We have local expressways that has 90 degrees entrance ramps. The one I took was below grade to the right. I turn my head left to judge the traffic flow and stepped on the gas to merge.

Then I found 2 cars stopped in front of me at the end of the merge point. I slammed on the brakes and the SLK stopped in the curve without ABS/ESP coming on but just inches to spare.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CalifSLK - 4/2/2006 3:04 PM

We have local expressways that has 90 degrees entrance ramps. The one I took was below grade to the right. I turn my head left to judge the traffic flow and stepped on the gas to merge.

Then I found 2 cars stopped in front of me at the end of the merge point. I slammed on the brakes and the SLK stopped in the curve without ABS/ESP coming on but just inches to spare.
I too am impressed with the SLK breaking system. Once, I had to perform a last minute stop because the lady in the car before braked suddenly to avoid hitting a cat or something. My car stopped on a dime with no tyre screech. I am sure I couldn't have done that with my old car.

·
Registered
2006 Brabus B55
476 Posts
145 MPH. [:0]

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Yes, I have difficulty in driving my Suburban now. I keep reminding myself to drive differently.

·
Registered
'06 SLK 350
192 Posts
There was this time where kidnappers put a bomb on the underside of my Audi A8 and I had to hit a ramp to flip the car upside down to have the hook from a crane remove the bomb...

Oh wait, that was Transporter 2. God I hated that scene.

·
Registered
SLK 350 - 2005 and E 250 - 2014
44 Posts
My most amazing driving feat is that I have not got a speeding ticket yet. [:D] [:D]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I took a Porsche Carrera turbo (My ex's sister's boyfriend's car) down the A4 (I think) near Paris doing 166MPH. I made sure it wasn't Kilometers/hour. Good times.[8D]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
gonzoTheGreat - 4/3/2006 4:38 PM

I took a Porsche Carrera turbo (My ex's sister's boyfriend's car) down the A4 (I think) near Paris doing 166MPH. I made sure it wasn't Kilometers/hour. Good times.[8D]
A little fast for public roads IMHO. BTW who removed your speed limiter?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Julien - 4/3/2006 3:51 PM

gonzoTheGreat - 4/3/2006 4:38 PM

A little fast for public roads IMHO. BTW who removed your speed limiter?
The car wasn't mine, but how I wish i did own it! At the time I drove an ultra wonderful 96 Cavalier with an amazing 3 speed automatic transmission [xx(] and 115HP engine. I have no clue if there was a limiter on the Porsche, and if there was one, I don't know how or who removed it. I should also clarify this was in France, June of 2001.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
gonzoTheGreat - 4/3/2006 5:00 PM

The car wasn't mine, but how I wish i did own it! At the time I drove an ultra wonderful 96 Cavalier with an amazing 3 speed automatic transmission [xx(] and 115HP engine. I have no clue if there was a limiter on the Porsche, and if there was one, I don't know how or who removed it. I should also clarify this was in France, June of 2001.
Sorry, I read your post as: I took (outran) a Carrera (in my SLK) near Paris TX.[:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
My most amazing driving feat is not shooting any other drivers in the 40+ years that I have been driving. Chicago has more fools per square mile than any other place that I've been. Does anyone in this town know what a directional signal is for?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2006 slk 280 this past Saturday in Chicago. I drove it home to Pittsburgh...well, around 9pm the mother of all raccoons was in the middle of the highway. I cut the wheel so sharp and just missed it, but this car just handled perfectly. No skidding, no noise, no nothing! I am truly impressed on how it handles.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
59 Posts
Well, I'll chip in with this one: I was waiting for a gap in traffic to turn right out of a business. While looking left, I spotted a gap in traffic and stepped on it. With my right toe down to the floor, I kept looking left until I was confident I was outpacing the oncoming traffic. I then looked back forward and saw 2 cars stopped in both lanes at the red light 50 feet ahead! [:0][:0] I had no time and no choice but to aim for the hole and I shot right between them without even scraping mirrors. My friend and I couldn't believe it, what a scary way to catch an adrenalin rush.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55 AMG w/030, '07 ML350
46 Posts
duketango - 4/3/2006 8:17 PM
I spotted a gap in traffic and stepped on it. With my right toe down to the floor, I kept looking left until I was confident I was outpacing the oncoming traffic. I then looked back forward and saw 2 cars stopped in both lanes at the red light 50 feet ahead! [:0][:0] I had no time and no choice but to aim for the hole and I shot right between them without even scraping mirrors. My friend and I couldn't believe it, what a scary way to catch an adrenalin rush.
These cars have an...uncanny ability to merge...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
stealthman_1 - 4/3/2006 10:30 PM

duketango - 4/3/2006 8:17 PM
I spotted a gap in traffic and stepped on it. With my right toe down to the floor, I kept looking left until I was confident I was outpacing the oncoming traffic. I then looked back forward and saw 2 cars stopped in both lanes at the red light 50 feet ahead! [:0][:0] I had no time and no choice but to aim for the hole and I shot right between them without even scraping mirrors. My friend and I couldn't believe it, what a scary way to catch an adrenalin rush.
These cars have an...uncanny ability to merge...[:D][:D][:D]
I would wack the right side mirrors getting too close. The most recent episode was 2 weeks ago on back steet of Georgetown. The Hertz Grand Marguis was simply too wide.

I had time before the flight at Dulles so I decided to take the Canal Road. This is a great road to take with the top down in a SLK. Turn right on to the Canel Road from Georgetown University and drive along the Potomac towards the Beltway (I495) on the Maryland side. Just a few miles past the Beltway and the Naval simulation pools is the Great Falls on the Potomac and the Chesapeake & Ohio canal. After that I decided to drive further northwest and take the White's Ferry to get back to the Virginia side. The Ferry is about an hour's drive from Great Fall and Dulles is about 30 minutes once in Virginia pass Leesburg. This is a cable guided ferry that holds 12 cars.

·
Registered
06 SLK 350, 03 C320
165 Posts
My most amazing feat?

Been driving in the NY-NJ metropolitan area for nine months and haven't gotten a ding or a stone chip in almost 5000 miles.

Now that's amazing!!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I got a few...

Being able to keep up with a Modena in the twisties, just couldn't shake me off [:D]
Not crashing the car while driving on snow, on the highway, with summer tires...
Taking a very tight corner at 60kph with summer tires in heavy rain, and being "corrected" by the ESP, without a crash [:0] (the corner in question has a 30kph limit sign on it... I just forgot about [:D] ).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts