Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm wondering what is this piece of equipement. It is on a 1988 300E. Cooling fluid is passing through it and it is pretty rusty. Do I need to worry and replace it ? If so, how do I call it ? My guess is that it will be a dealer part ?

Any help appreciated.

Ignace

Mercedes 300E 1988 (Karl)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Only one clamp in the photo looks to be an original style German clamp. I have never seen one of these on any w124 I've had nor of the 25 or so I have seen in junkyards. It looks homemade. It might have been one man's attempt to solve the heater core gurgling problem the earlier cars experienced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks !

I will replace this rusty part by a home made brass T ! My rusty part is definitely a home made thing !

Boy do I appreciate this forum !

Ignace

·
Premium Member
10,078 Posts
Steve, I'll bet you gave thought to replacing the evaporator with a baseboard unit. :)
Anything with a tube and cooling fins should work, eh? Lol....

Seriously though, after seeing that T explode and almost having my car overheat before I got home, I think that 'molded' OE T is a bad design.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Anything with a tube and cooling fins should work, eh? Lol....

Seriously though, after seeing that T explode and almost having my car overheat before I got home, I think that 'molded' OE T is a bad design.

Kevin
Kevin
First off sorry for the "Steve" in the previous message.

Second, I agree. Hoses with that type of multiple outlet configuration look weird and suspicious to those of us who think; and there is good reason for that!

Andy

·
Premium Member
10,078 Posts
Kevin
First off sorry for the "Steve" in the previous message.

Second, I agree. Hoses with that type of multiple outlet configuration look weird and suspicious to those of us who think; and there is good reason for that!

Andy
I think it's a BS fitting to see continuous pressure/duty. Especially with dubious suppliers these days. I'm not saying everyone should do the brass T thing.....but consider carrying a spare hose with the T fitting and at least some water for a long trip. Especially if you have some age on that OE T.

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
LeftCoastGeek
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing