Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86' 560SL, 11' X5, 01' 330 Track
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to be that guy, and I did search, but does anybody have an idea as to what this plug is? I noticed it was unplugged when I was looking for the EZL mapping resistor, which I also can't find.

I plugged it in and I'm sure it's minor but I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Not sure but reminds me of the brake wear indicator for the light in the dash. There is one wear sensor on each front disc brake and I think it is also goes to the fluid reservoir as in the picture. Basically when the wear sensor grounds through the rotor the light comes on in the dash telling you brake work is needed.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

I believe that's the timing retard for regular gas. Unplugged it is supposed to provide a slight performance boost. Some dispute that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure but reminds me of the brake wear indicator for the light in the dash. There is one wear sensor on each front disc brake and I think it is also goes to the fluid reservoir as in the picture. Basically when the wear sensor grounds through the rotor the light comes on in the dash telling you brake work is needed.
That makes sense, glad I plugged it in then. I wasn't sure if it really mattered considering I've been driving with it unplugged.

I believe that's the timing retard for regular gas. Unplugged it is supposed to provide a slight performance boost. Some dispute that.
I thought that was larger and looked more like a relay? or is that just on 380's and 450's?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,314 Posts

That resistor is located forward of the diagnostic port and doesn't have wires on both ends. Looks kind of like that but the resistor just plugs into the wiring.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,103 Posts
That resistor is located forward of the diagnostic port and doesn't have wires on both ends. Looks kind of like that but the resistor just plugs into the wiring.
Here's a pic...mine is located under the large gray cable tie as rowdie stated.

·
Registered
1978 450 sl
4 Posts

Hey could you elaborate further on that? I'm new to my sl and have literally no idea what you are talking about. Any free performance boost would be nice! Not to sound like a newbie, but unfortunately thats what I am!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

It's not applicable to your '78, just the GenII KE-Jet models from '86 on.

Do a search for 'timing resistor' for some pertinent discussions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey could you elaborate further on that? I'm new to my sl and have literally no idea what you are talking about. Any free performance boost would be nice! Not to sound like a newbie, but unfortunately thats what I am!
Im sure someone will have a better explanation but he's referring to the
EZL mapping resistor. Its a small plug/resistor that was put on us versions of the car to affect timing so that lower octane gas could be used. When removed it changes the timing and gives you a slight performance upgrade, although you have to run premium gas. I've read mixed reviews about whether you can really notice any difference when removed. Some people notice and some don't.

If anybody wants to correct me feel free, that's just what I've gathered from some light research.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,161 Posts
I believe you have it backwards. You need to be running premium in your 560SL with the resistor.... and arguably without it as well.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,314 Posts
I believe you have it backwards. You need to be running premium in your 560SL with the resistor.... and arguably without it as well.
From the owners manual. Premium 91 octane.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,103 Posts
I tried removing mine and couldn't really tell any difference so I replaced it. Highest normal octane out here is 91 (with 100 available for $$$$$ a gallon). Maybe a couple of 0-60 runs or a dyno test using the 100 octane might see a difference. Either way too expensive. I would guess the benefit would be a few hp's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure? Everything I've read said the resistor retards the timing by 6 degree's for lower octane gas. Once you remove it you're only supposed to run 91 or better, if not it pings.

I agree on running premium regardless though.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,353 Posts
The story goes that the resistor was a North America-only feature that retards the timing slightly, so that the engine can run without knocking on lower octane gas, should that be all that is available in the Wild West. Removing it supposedly enhances performance but necessitates hi-octane fuel.
It has been reported that ROTW cars have an adjustable resistor to enable timing adjustment to suit available fuel.
I and others here have removed the resistor in search of more performance.
Some report they found it. I did not.
Last fill-up, I used 89 mid-grade as an experiment: no resistor, no pinging.
But I drive gently.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,161 Posts
Are you sure? Everything I've read said the resistor retards the timing by 6 degree's for lower octane gas. Once you remove it you're only supposed to run 91 or better, if not it pings.

I agree on running premium regardless though.
Probably wrong, but with the resistor you're still supposed to use 91 octane fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts