Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'95 S124 E250 D / '98 W202 C180
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on my engine i accidentaly broke this part. I'm not sure sure about it's purpose. I also broke it on a previous car with the same engine. It doesnt move while pushing on the gas pedal, not affecting anything so far but i'm curious and i want to know if i should change it anyway.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,594 Posts
You can check on a parts fiche. Did it change any behaviour in your previous car? It seems like a bowden cable. If so you won't see movement that easily. Could be a trans shift control cable. You should change it anyway. It looks like an independent adjustable cable.

And how do you break this twice?!?!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I broke it on my previous car while not paying attention years ago while cleaning the throttle body or something, just like this one, this thing is fragile to say the least. It did not change the behaviour at all, the accelerator cable still slides through it. On my previous car it was broken for years and i forgot about it and lived with it. You can't see it on the picture but threaded part broke.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it again and by turning it you loosen or tighten the accelerator pedal bowden cable, fortunately i can still turn the threaded part and i noticed mine was super loose and would open the throttle by only 1/4.

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
I drove my car for years with a broken throttle cable with no issues. That being said, I dont think they are that expensive, and not that hard to change. If you have the money, I'd replace it. I ended up replacing mine just because I was worried that one day it might cause an issue either for me or for whoever I may sell the car to in the future.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,594 Posts
My throttle cable does not look like that. what am I missing?

I drove my car for years with a broken throttle cable with no issues. That being said, I dont think they are that expensive, and not that hard to change. If you have the money, I'd replace it. I ended up replacing mine just because I was worried that one day it might cause an issue either for me or for whoever I may sell the car to in the future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks different because you have the M104 engine and mine is the 4 cylinder M111.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts