Registered
Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts
Can you post some better (not cell phone) pictures in better light. Also complete your profile so we can see what car we're working with here. (or just post YME)

thx.

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts
I'm thinking that "is" what you hit to crack the pan, and it got stuck in/under the car until you rescued it. :).

It doesn't resemble anything on a 190 that I can think of.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks a lot! I'm glad this isn't actually part of the car; that leaves one less thing I don't have to fix. But I would like to replace my shocks too. Do you know some good reasonably priced shocks I could buy?

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
KYB are decent, pretty cheap too. You can buy them on ebay

·
Registered
1993 190e Sportline LE, M104, getrag, nitrous
411 Posts
Replacing an oil pan is annoying on a Mercedes, especially a 2.6.

As for that part, absolutely no idea what that could be.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really? why is it annoying? i'm gonna get my friend to come fix it on monday?

·
Registered
92 190E 2.3 SOLD, 91 420SEL, 95 C280
488 Posts
First, the "part" you show looks to me like the muffler from a commercial type lawn mower, probably fell off of a landscape truck.

Second, the pain in the ass part of replacing the oil pan is that you must lift the motor and remove the front sway bar in order to slide the oil pan in & out towards the front of the vehicle. patience will be a vital tool in your toolbox for this one.

I recommend you put the front tires up in a set of ramps, as that will allow the front torsion bar to be removed with no problem, if you merely jack up the car and the wheels are hanging then the torsion bar is under load and removing it is tricky, and can be dangerous.

Once the torsion bar is removed, remove the 17mm bolts from the bottom of the motor mounts and lift the motor as high as you can, using a cherry picker is best, if that is not an option then a jack and block of wood under the bell housing will work.

after that you merely remove all the mounting bolts, keeping track of the longer ones as they have to go back into the correct places, and once the pan is free you will slide it out towards the front of the vehicle, installing is reverse procedure. I highly recommend gasket sealer to help keep the new gasket in place in the new pan as you install it.

Have fun & Good wrenching

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
whats the model year 190? motor type? etc?? out of all the 190s ive worked with ive never seen anything like that

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
I'd recommend Bilstein shocks, Bilstein HDs would probably be nice. However they're not the cheapest stuff in the store. Checkout partsgeek.com they seem to have pretty decent pricing on them. I think the sports (most expensive of the bunch) are 85/ea rear, 160/ea front..which is substantially higher than say the 126 shocks which are 50/each all around

1 - 15 of 15 Posts