Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. When I bought my 190 the previous owner left a ton of crap in it; CDs, guitar straps, etc. While cleaning out the trunk I came across this little plug attached to nothing.

I was reading around a bit and came across this forum post. Is this the same thing? It has a different part number, so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
looks like the R16 resistor. It is plugged in behind your battery there is a wire coming out where you can plug it in. He took it out to advance the ignition timing, supposedly it makes your car a little faster and more fuel efficient. I had mine out 2 years ago but ever since my car cooked, and i did the headgasket, i put it back in. In fact i think my car is better with it, than without it as i never noticed any gas milage increase ( in fact i think it was worse )

Also by taking it out, you are advancing your ignition timing which also makes your motor run hot. These motors run hot anyways so it sometimes is not a good idea. That is why i put mine back in. Others have other opinions but to each his own. You could try putting it back in and if you see a decrease in gas milage/performance then you can take it back out. But i think my engine ran hotter with it out so thats why my car boiled one day.

oh and i fergot to mention. I think you ahve to use 93 octane to really see the difference but here in toronto it is mostly 91 octane max so maybe that is why it never worked for me.

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked behind the battery and see no loose wires, I've never had any trouble with the car, never any knocking or pinging, even when it got filled with regular (87 octane) once.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
it is a very tight thick short wire on the right side of your battery ( when you are stsanding in front of the engine ) It could be below your battery or somewhere around hidden. Mine was taped in ducktape so it was hard to see until you took the ductape off the wire.

If you use 87 octane then it probably doesn't even do you any difference and probably costs you more gas as it is ment for high octane.

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm well aware of the R16 performance mod, but in everything I've read the part was marked 24.81 and mine is 26.81, so I thought this might be something different. Oh well, I can't seem to find any loose plug by the battery and since my car seems to run fine I wont worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts