Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to R107 and currently looking at a 450SL that is for sale. What is this part that appears to be leaking or was leaking? It's on the driver's side of the engine bay. Anything to be concerned about? Thanks! Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now had the opportunity to look more closely. The coil cannister appears to be intact but the bottom is covered in a black, greasy residue. The coil just sits in it's holder touching the metalwork below which is also black. Troglodyte very kindly sent me a 1974 coil but I am reluctant to just throw it in there without first better understanding what is happening (or happened) here. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not sure what has happened but the ignition coil are maintenance items and ought to be replaced every 10 years. That said mine lasted 40 and still hasn't given up, I guess the morale is that you can swap it out safely if you want to. 🙂

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
miko1aj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing