Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed the hood star after coming home to find it cocked over to the right and yanked up in the socket in a feeble (and failed) theft attempt.

I thought hood ornament vandalism went out of style sometime around 1980? What the hell?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I took mine off after seeing too many teenagers scoping it out. I am going to put it back on though. Is it just me or do other people notice this also? I don't care about spending a few bucks to buy a new one I just don't want to be disappointed by a missing star. Do they still get stolen?

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
It never dies.

I'm on my third star on my 300D. A few times I see it cocked to one side, or backwards. Sometimes I think it's just careless pedestrians nudging it out of position.

If it's pulled to the front then you can tell somebody attempted to break it off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we've never had a star on ours. What would it take to replace it?
Not very much; it was actually very easy to remove (from under the hood, that is).

If you buy a new star you'll see fairly quickly how it is inserted into the mounting hole. Just put it in place, and then from underneath you pull down on the U-shaped locking spring clip and rotate it so it's holding the star in against the grille surround. That's the whole arrangement.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
could be worse.......beside punk kids some punk bird could pick your star to use in a suicide.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts