Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
C-280 w/ C36 kit
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy this, but the dealer said its a C-280 but in the back on the trunk it has C-36 AMG but the engine is a 2.8L. What is this? A C280 or C-36? I need some help..

Attachments

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I'd say from the detail of the body that it certainly started out as a 36.
If you are sur...

I'd say from the detail of the body that it certainly started out as a 36.
If you are sure that it has a 280 engine, then I would guess that at some stage the engine had to be replaced when it was discovered that a 280 unit was vastly cheaper...
You are lucky to be told the truth by the dealer - if he is that honest, it must be a good buy!

·
Registered
C36 AMG
7 Posts
If it has a 2.8l engine then it is a C280. If it has a 3.6l engine, then it is 99% going t...

If it has a 2.8l engine then it is a C280. If it has a 3.6l engine, then it is 99% going to be a C36 AMG. The only way to tell a C280 from a genuine C36 is by the engine and not the cosmetic additions.

See my update in the forum on whether my C36 is a genuine C36.

Ask to see the car registration documents if possible and maintenance history if possible.

A C36 engine should be 3606cc. VIN does not tell you anything about whether it is a C280 or C36 as all C36 are modified C280s but the VIN does not tell you that.

If you want a genuine C36 you have to look at the engine/engine capacity.

·
Registered
C-280 w/ C36 kit
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot guys. maybe it is a modified c-280 because it does not have AMG on the pane...

thanks a lot guys. maybe it is a modified c-280 because it does not have AMG on the panel(spedometer)

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Re: thanks a lot guys. maybe it is a modified c-280 because it does not have AMG on the pane

thanks a lot guys. maybe it is a modified c-280 because it does not have AMG on the panel(spedometer)
What are the diametres of the discs and is the caliper on the front brake a four pot? (the 36 calliper is quite large and shows quite clearly in the casting that there are two pistons in place)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts