Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this extra plug (from the car side) is? The other two obviously plug directly into the wiring harness for the eurovox headunit, but this has no where to go!
Is it for use with a different type of radio? It's in a 1999 R129 SL 500 with the Bose package.
It's the plug I'm holding with the blue wire.
Thanks, the curiosity is killing me ever since I saw it.

·
Registered
ML500
140 Posts
Its the 'C' connector used on the mercedes head units which use fibre optics

Depending on vehicle and options in it, it can contain
+12 for CD changer power
ground for CD changer
wake-up for fibre optics (which is what is in your connector)
CAN-HI canbus for communication with cluster, steering wheel controls etc
CAN-LOW ditto
reverse lamp (so sat nav knows you are reversing)

- I guess your car has some prewiring for phone or such like, so you have the wakeup signal there - you may have a fibre optic connector hidden down there somewhere -

Richard

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard!
So, great answers but that just gives me more questions!
The car has the eurovox cassette headunit that controls the 10 disc in the boot and the car has the bose amp/speaker package.

Is there a better head unit that I could run with the current system to upgrade to fibre optics? Does the Bose system use fibre optics? And how can I find out what other pre-wiring there would be in this car, and what fun I could have plugging into it! would the VIN help?

And thank you very much for the quick reply!
Sam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can anyone tell me what this extra plug (from the car side) is? The other two obviously plug directly into the wiring harness for the eurovox headunit, but this has no where to go!
Is it for use with a different type of radio? It's in a 1999 R129 SL 500 with the Bose package.
It's the plug I'm holding with the blue wire.
Thanks, the curiosity is killing me ever since I saw it.
That is if I am not mistaken a trigger wire for the disk changer. It's also the same wire used when installing aftermarket items such as the Dension Ipot integration kit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts