Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add heated seats so I want the factory look with the switches in there, so I want to order a new one like that. I can't seem to find out what part number it is though. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
If I see your pix correctly you have burled walnut wood, so the part number is 1296806636. You have to specify the slots on the console, since you want one with heated seat buttons, the layout is ES-2=5470.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, thanks!!!

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Catterman if memory serves me in the back side of the console there should be already some pre-drawn holes. Maybe GUSMB could give you more accurate infos.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Catterman if memory serves me in the back side of the console there should be already some pre-drawn holes. Maybe GUSMB could give you more accurate infos.

Cheers.
So you mean I can just take the dremel and cut holes in my current console? Is there a spot already there underneith my console where the factory switches can attach too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,999 Posts
Since you are ready to replace it with a new console, might as well remove the current one and take a look at its back side first. Hopefully all you have to do is to cut hole in the surface and save some $$$.

·
Registered
300SL (103)
104 Posts
I percieve a problem with cutting your own holes. THe switches are held in place as they click into a groove cut in the thickness of the pressed wood console pannel that runs all around the inside thickness of the hole. This is going to be quite difficult to cut. check out the other switch holes to see what i mean.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point... My current console is a little cracked anyway, so a new one wouldn't hurt anything for me - other then my checking account... :D

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Well Catterman since your console is cracked and you are after a new one I'd suggest you to have a look on Ebay in case there is one so you might also save some money and if you are lucky enough you might find one that has all the holes you need and maybe also a few spare ones.

Cheers.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,231 Posts
I percieve a problem with cutting your own holes. THe switches are held in place as they click into a groove cut in the thickness of the pressed wood console pannel that runs all around the inside thickness of the hole.
I believe this is not the case. The switches are held in place by a plastic retainer which is stapled to the underside of the console. In my mind the only difficulty with the OP's project is to cut a neat-looking opening for each switch into the console

·
Registered
1997 SL500
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Winter is pretty much over now, so I will keep searching ebay for a good price on one. Even if I can cut my own holes and have them work I would like a "newer" looking one anyway. But with a wifey and kiddos at home I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on these things anyway.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Catterman I found a few consoles at reasonable prices on Ebay in case you want consider them :).

LINK1

SILVER ARROW CONSOLE !!!!

LINK 3

LINK 4

SL EDITION CONSOLE !!!!

I know that not all of them will be suitable for your car but since I am not sure from your picture the color of your console and since I found some special ones I decided to post all the consoles I could find.

If I went to much off topic please feel free to scold me (not too much tho please lol).

Cheers.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Thanks! Your Link 1 is a match for my car! I will see if the wifey will let me get one already! :D

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Catterman if you tell your wife what it costs at the dealer and what it costs bought on Ebay I bet my ... life that she will say go. Especially if you sweet talk her into it;).

Good luck mate :).

Cheers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts