Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1986 U1250L with pick up bed
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellas,
I just got a U1250L mog originally from Switzerland. It came with absolutely no instructions on how to operate it. I had a hard time getting it to run the first time as during the shipping someone jumped in the cab and messed up a series of levers it came with.

Youtube has been invaluable at giving me hints about how to operate it, and off-course this site. However, I havent been able to figure out some of the levers and buttons.

Ill start with this one:
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

Sorry for the poor quality picture... it sits between the gears shift and the reverse shift. But have no idea what its for.

Im including a pic of my rig as well, the day we picked it up.

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Automotive parking light
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Sky

Its obvous to me that the bed is different than what it came with originally, as the bed looks recently painted and very nice. But it still serves my requirements.

Also there is a another lever that I just cant figure out. This is a longshot as it doesnt look original, but here it is as well:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Metalworking Engineering

Thanks for your help. I will keep coming back with more questions as this is all new to me!

Regards

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
The first one could be the switch to engage a PTO hydraulic pump drive, which would be mounted to the rear of the transmission.
The second one is the PTO speed selector - it sets the pro speed at either 540 RPM or 1000 RPM. It may not look original, but it is typical of that control.
Photos coming in a minute.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
Here are some photos of various levers, some labeled, some in French, etc.
The lever with the green knob that is mounted forward of the shift plate is the PTO clutch control, which engages the PTO drive. The PTO speed control (the 2nd one you point out) is mounted to the rear. There can also be a front / rear PTO control.
Font Bag Electric blue Auto part Toy
Motor vehicle Font Audio equipment Machine Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Font Bumper
Terrestrial plant Font Slope Urban design Engineering
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Automotive exterior Auto part
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Vehicle Machine
Telephone Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Telephony Electrical wiring
Gas Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Kitchen utensil
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
This photo is actually labeled incorrectly. It has swapped the PTO Speed selector with the Front / Rear / Both PTO functions, The Speed control is to the rear on the passenger side, the PTO position selector is to the rear next to the driver's seat.
Font Slope Engineering Electronic instrument Auto part

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,259 Posts
Yes, PTO controls.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say you do have the pump at the rear of the transmission, and it feeds the extra hydraulic lines on the front (Blue Box).
The passenger side mirror looks to be heated, while the driver's side is not. Not much need for a heated mirror in Honduras, probably.
Someone has restored the bracket for the Plow Light on the driver's side, but did not get to the Passenger side mount yet. Easy enough to do, but if you decide to do it, then soak the fittings with Penetrating Oil for a couple of days, as the steel bolts often rust into the threaded inserts in the A-pillar. When re-mounting, stainless cap head bolts and anti-seize compound work well to eliminate that problem in the future.
The Bed looks nice, and it may have originally been a military bed - the hooks for the canopy match that pattern, although civilian versions can also have the hooks.
Congratulations on your new truck, it looks nice !

Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Sky

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for all that information!

Thanks a lot for the heads up for the brackets for the plow lights as well. I can see you got a keen eye for details!!!

When I first got it at the port, no matter what speed I put into it, it just wouldn't go any faster than around 10 kms/hr. I was very frustrated. I didn't know why as it wasn't in low gears or so. But after a while of looking at it, I finally pushed back the red knob (circled in blue in the following pic) and it changed the whole dynamic of the truck. It was back to normal. So my guess is that it somehow engages the PTO.
Motor vehicle Metalworking Automotive tire Engineering Gas

One other question to the group: Since Im in this neck of the woods in the world, we do not have a Mercedes Benz dealership who even understands Unimogs... could anybody here help me with a data card for this Unimog? Vin # WDB4241261W130228 I would greatly appreciate it!

Since Im in the asking Q mode: Where could I locate an English version of the operation manuals? Do you think Mercedes even makes them anymore? I need to figure out how are the PTOs operated and what use can I have for them.

Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
That circled knob would be to engage the ‘working’
gears, which are a planetary set of lower gears that would
explain why the Unimog would not get up to speed.

The main gear shift would work as normal, but all
8 speeds would be in a lower gear range.

This Working gear set can only be properly shifted
Into or out of when the clutch is in and the truck is stopped.

The company “Buch und Bild” (Book and Photo)
In Gaggenau. Germany will have the owner’s manual, the workshop manual, and the Data Book.

The Data book has all of the technical details and specifications that might not be in the Owner’s manual.
I’d recommend getting that as well as the owner’s manual to start.
Your truck is of the 424 series, so just make sure you order
the manuals for that series.
The Unimog Museum is now aligned with Buch und
Bild, so you can go their website and find the manuals there.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
When you go to the Museum / Buch und Bild website, scroll down to the UNIMOG & MB Trac ENGLISH tab, which takes you to everything they have in English.
Then, the Owner's Manual, The Workshop Manual, and the Data book appear.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number
Font Parallel Electric blue Rectangle Logo
Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device Electric blue
Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
A wider shot of your shift plate, similar to the photo above, would be helpful in determining how your truck is equipped. The dashboard and the engine bay are also handy to have photos of, so the forum can help you get a handle on things more quickly, and possibly point out details and things that might need attention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a million! I can get you many pictures... I was afraid of bombarding the board with so many pics 😃 I will get a wider shot of the shift plate and the dashboard. Right now my truck is about 20 miles away from where I am but, will go there next week.

Once again,

Thank you very much for all your help, as I had no idea of the technical data book. I will proceed and order them.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,259 Posts
There is no such thing as too many picture or too much video.

You are in the presence of the great curator of the archive. One day your photos will be used to help another and the curator will look upon the threads and smile.q

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,496 Posts
In his original photo, where his finger is pointing at the switch, that is the PTO pump switch.
While the 2WD /4WD / 4WD locked switch did appear on the shift plate at times, it was generally of a different form,
and closer to the driver’s seat (LHD).
The round black item in the lower right may be
that selector switch- it is in one of the ‘right’
Spots, but it is hard to tell in that photo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts