Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Does anyone know what those large black rubber parts (seem like covers) that go on the sides of the bumpers are? There appear to be 4 of them, on each corner of the car.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
^^^^ Westleys bleach white while washing, then Griot's interior protectant on the rubber bits... Same for the door handles and the strips along the midsection on the sides and back of the car.

Any high quality polish will do the trick, but since our chrome has different layers, I just make sure it's clean after washing the car, and use one or two coats of single stage cleaner wax... be careful not to get any wax on the rubber bits...

You can integrate the above with a full detail, then you don't have to do it for at least another three months... I've used McGuiar's with great results. If your car hasn't been regularly waxed, it's worth it to do two iterations of each of the stages 1-3 (i.e 2 x paint cleaner, 2 x polish, 2 x wax)... I do this before every winter and it always lasts through the winter with a little care... Though next time I'm sealing the paint using the Griot's paint sealant -- it lasts for about a year, and you can drive through a car wash with it no problems, in contrast to the McGuiars that will just get stripped of your car if you drive through an automated car wash.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help and the kind words!

My bumped looked like GARBAGE when I got it, but I was amazed at what chrome polish did to her!

to loss seems to know his stuff as well!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have a brand new one of those and it's smooth shiny rubber....if anyone is interested ;)

The ones on the car are rough and feel like fine grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
There isn't a shiny kind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts