Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know it is an antenna but an antenna for what? I see one screw undid that but tried to remove it to paint the roof and wouldn't budge; anyone know how to remove it at least temporarily?

and what does this lever do it makes the car go "ding" and then does nothing

It also has a Mercedes Benz Motorola phone in the center console; any of this related?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The bit on the roof is a GPS antenna - used for your satnav. It is held on by the screw alone, just give it a bit of a nudge & it will shift... probably held on by years of baking sun & assorted crud buildup.

The stalk that makes the car go 'bing' is linguatronic - you bing it, then speak to the car.

As far as I can tell, it only works when the radio/cd is switched on. You can use it to change tracks/channels & fone people etc.

Most of the time you tell it one thing & it just does something completely different ;-)

Matt

·
Registered
339 Posts
Linguatronic can also do telephone stuff if you have a factory phone. It comes with a woman's voice and acts like a wife - she kinda listens, then does what she thinks best. The hell with you.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The phone is analog--obsolete. No carrier in U.S. supports analog phones anymore--all digital. There is a fix, at $600, that provides a device that plugs into the computer system, in the trunk, and provides a Bluetooth capacity that will allow modern phones to interface with the old system. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
but tried to remove it to paint the roof and wouldn't budge;
You're gonna paint your roof??

I hope you have paint spraying experience, as a car roof is one helluva job to get right. I tried it many moons ago, on a little VW, and it took many attempts to get a good finish, as the sprayer really needs to work at 90 degrees to the surface.

Let us see the result when you finish the job. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this thread. I to am trying to paint the roof. I learned alot with you sir!!!
Have you considered vinyl wrapping; it is the reason I wanted to remove mine. I just ordered some Oracal high gloss black 12 year wrapping film. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The phone is analog--obsolete. No carrier in U.S. supports analog phones anymore--all digital. There is a fix, at $600, that provides a device that plugs into the computer system, in the trunk, and provides a Bluetooth capacity that will allow modern phones to interface with the old system. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer.
Thanks for the info; if ya happen to think of it I would be interested if I can make it work with an iphone. Dealership not much help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neilbo and MatSmith...you are both on it!!

Neilbo and MatSmith...you are both on it!!...I got her to talk!!! and then she didn't listen to a dang thing I said...this is good though cause I can now practice one sided arguments on my way home from work!!

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
It works fine with my iphone. You could need as little as the bluetooth puck in place of the v60 phone. It depends on the equipment you have. Pucks go on ebay all the time and ive seen them from $150 - $350. Wont stream music but the phone book transfers no problem. You can use the AUX input in the glovebox with comand. Its a direct plug in with good sound quality if you dont mind the cord

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts