Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I’m very new here,

I just came by a used W221 for sale, and I’d like to know what materials they used to make the vehicle. Specifically the body panels, chassis, exterior construction, etc. Is it made out of steel? If so, I’d like to buy one soon since I do like steel over aluminum in the exterior of the car. I do remember how cars were made of steel back then.

Thanks

· Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,662 Posts
Hello guys I’m very new here,

I just came by a used W221 for sale, and I’d like to know what materials they used to make the vehicle. Specifically the body panels, chassis, exterior construction, etc. Is it made out of steel? If so, I’d like to buy one soon since I do like steel over aluminum in the exterior of the car. I do remember how cars were made of steel back then.

Thanks
Most of the chassis and body are steel with the hood, trunk lid, doors, front fenders and various other pieces being aluminum. Of course the bumpers and side skirts if you have them are some sort of bumper plastic (e.g. Thermo Plastic Olefin, Polypropylene, etc.) The roof of my S550 is glass!

If you concern is safety I think you'll find these are among the safest cars available. The engineering that goes into the crush zones and offset crash testing is well documented.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts