Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
'99 SL55 AMG & '00 CLK55 AMG
387 Posts
J

Is this package the one with the flared fenders? Where they’re wider than other SL’s? Because I helped a friend with one of those. It really...enhances...the performance look of the car.
Unfortunately, I am not aware and have never heard of any R129 having flared fenders for 1999+ models.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I'm very curious about this.
Can you provide a source or documentation showing this please ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,131 Posts
I'm very curious about this.
Can you provide a source or documentation showing this please ?

Thanks in advance
from the build sheet of my sold 2001 SL500, see highlighted option 774. Same will be present on any other sport package R129 build sheet.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
2,214 Posts
I can also take pictures of my car with the factory rolled fenders and share them on this thread

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
from the build sheet of my sold 2001 SL500, see highlighted option 774. Same will be present on any other sport package R129 build sheet.
View attachment 2690131
Interesting, never knew MB did that.
Thank You

So basically just rolling fender lines from the inside and not a full-fledged fender flare mod.

It's interesting because my 99 SL500 and my friend's 99 SL55 have identical fenders.
I know this because I have transformed my 500 (non-sport) into a 55 and that includes the 18" 2 piece wheels and everything fits no problem.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,049 Posts
The fender flare is very subtle. To use a comparison, it's somewhere in-between a normal W124 E320 and W124 E500. Takes a bit to see it, really. If car came from factory with AMG rims, it will be flared.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,711 Posts
Like SnR said, nothing AMG about that car except the eBay special badge. Rough car, with not very exciting colors. 5-6k TOPS. You can do better.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,080 Posts
Agree with roadhouse, and many other posters in the past, buy a better example, it will be cheaper in the long run, don't be hasty, there are too many good ones out there.

Other than condition, the most important option I think is desirable is Xenon headlights, assuming you want to drive at night..

The standard USA headlights should be illegal, they are unsafe to drive at night with, I have no idea why MB decided the standard USA headlights were adequate and safe. To sell a $90K car with such poor quality headlights is bad customer service. If you get a 129 with standard USA lights, you will be looking to upgrade to Xenon or Euro lights, or you will be sqinting and driveing at 30mph at night and not feeling good about it.

Do a test drive at night with the standard USA headlights, see for yourself.(or not)...

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you get a real sweetheart (30% less than avg condition book value) deal I’d consider it but previous accident damage and the wrecked interior would make me seek a better example. Someone who cares for a car wouldn’t let a dog do that. Always buy the cleanest example you can afford. It’s always cheaper than fixing issues.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,131 Posts
Lol I didn’t bother to really look at the photos and study the history but everyone’s comments sound bad..

throw them a super lowball offer of like $11k or walk

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrows; 2007 GL450 Premier Launch Edition; 2009 CLK550 cabriolet; 2016 E350
15 Posts
Very nice R129
That's a Sport package model which came for the USA market only. It consists of AMG body kit and 18" monoblock type 1 wheels. The badge was an add-on by the owner or dealer.

Your color is known as Smoke Silver code 702
Interior is known as Leather Nappa Saffron JAVA code 234
I don't think this is smoke silver, which is really silver with a hint of goldish tint. This looks more like desert silver which I believe is code 693.

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrows; 2007 GL450 Premier Launch Edition; 2009 CLK550 cabriolet; 2016 E350
15 Posts
The color code is desert silver 693. Smoke silver is much lighter and almost like metallic silver with a hint of gold (hence the "smoke" designation)

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,080 Posts
yakky in post 33 has a link to the build data, which matches the data I get from lastvin.com
yes the paint code is 693, but the name for that code is not smoke silver or desert silver

the color is TRAVERTINE BEIGE - METALLIC PAINT (693U)
the interior is LEATHER NAPPA - SAFFRON (234A)

If you were to park this SL next to another that was Smoke Silver you would see the difference, however subtle

So if your still considering this SL,

Positives;
it does have all the right options​
interior damage appears to be is minor, but a good bargaining point for you, looks like a dog scratched the panels​
prices in general for 129's seem to still be relatively low, but that is slowly changing upwards​
solid lower maint drive train if maintained correctly​
Soft top may be in excellent condition with hard top on for years, my 2000 Sport was like that, soft top as new​
Negatives;​
has it sat in the sun a lot over the years - long term plastic and paint damage​
soft top must be tested to get an accurate price offer​
are there maintenance records? important fluids should have been changed every 30K or so, tranny & rear end​
depending on your taste, the color is lackluster at best, but can be another bargaining chip​
how many keys? super important, only one key is just one step from owning a very expensive paperweight​
137K miles is more than desirable, but should help with price​
the paint color is blah, like grandpa's old Buick, or grandma's Camery​
In general I think an average 129's pricing should start out around $10K, then go up or down depending on condition, mileage and options. The top mechanisms on all 129s will need to be rehabed sooner or later, if its sooner that brings the price down now. Take the hard top off and see if the soft top works, if the owner refuses, than expect it to not be working.​
Your best bet is to find a reliable mechanic who knows old school Mercedes and pay for a inspection. If the owner refuses a PPI then walk away.​
This could be a good long term bargain, but you need to get it at the right price, and know that critical systems are not going to break down.​
If this were my decision, the color would turn me away immediately, I would look for a color that would please me every time I drove it. There are so many out there, don't settle for one just because its available.​
In another forum I belong too, the mantra for all these older Mercedes is, "Expect to invest $5 to $10K in deferred maintenance" on most of these older cars. But of course if you find the perfect color, with low miles, and perfect maintenance documentation, the price will go up accordingly and be closer to $20K or more.​
The last thought I'll leave with you is the old saying, "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes"​
Good Luck​
PS @ SLK32AMG1 - by making that statement you show no real knowledge of the factory options on these late model 129s. No one has claimed this SL is what you are considering to be an AMG. Like so many other Mercedes models of this era and later, it has AMG "Styling" options and wheels. The bumpers, skirts and wheels are AMG, nothing else as far as I know.​
From public postings;​
The SL 55 AMG was sold in the R129 body style from 1998 to 2001 in limited numbers (5.4L V8, 260 kW (354 PS; 349 bhp)[5] at 5,500 rpm). It was the predecessor of the production R230 SL 55 AMG sold later, albeit was normally aspirated in the R129 and not supercharged as in its R230 successor. 65 cars were made.[15]

Only about 300 cars in the SL-class were customized by AMG prior to the 2003 model year.

So, for a true R129 to be considered a "Real" AMG like you are thinking, the model would be identified as a SL55, SL60, SL70, SL72, or SL73.

This car is a standard factory SL500 with some styling options that Mercedes labeled as AMG, nothing more. Read the build sheet link provided in post 33.

·
Registered
1999 sl500 sl2
468 Posts
spend more money and get a better car.....and the color is not a desirable one in my opinion. I had a smoke silver R129 before my current brilliant silver....the smoke silver color was okay....this color is just ugly. Who wants a brown car? Maybe in 5 or 10 years from now you will have to accept soemthing like this but right now there is just too much supply for the R129 to settle for a car lke this

21 - 40 of 42 Posts