Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An acquaintance is selling this 2001 R129 that’s badged as an AMG, and I’m wondering what the forum thinks is the correct price if I were interested in making an offer. It has an AMG badge on the right trunk lid and has the correct sized offset AMG wheels in good condition with relatively new (~5K miles) Michelins. I wasn’t aware there were any vehicles badges as 500SL AMG, but I could be mistaken or it could be a dealer installed “upgrade”?: Here are the particulars:

138K miles. Gold with tan leather interior - AMG offset wheels
New Michliens, OEM Cats, and A/C compressor (blows very cold)
Good body, no rust, but a small scrape on one rocker panel and missing the jacking point cover
Solid, strong Engine, Transmission and Rear end - no visible leaks and runs/idles well - no known mechanical issues
Aftermarket Alpine radio.
Interior, carpets and leather good EXCEPT (and this is a big gotcha), punctures from dog’s nails on console lid and right door panel.
Hard top has been in place for years, so no idea as to the condition of the soft top
Electric door locks and turn signal canceling not operational
Carfax indicates several “fender benders” with damage to the front bumper, grill. Clean title otherwise.

In terms of restoration, my main concerns would be the door panel and console lid, the potential issues with the soft top/mechanism. And I’m not happy about the non OEM radio and no idea what may have been buggered up in the wiring. Not that concerned about the body or the drivetrain. What do you all think is a fair price and what are the chances of correct replacements or repairs of the console lid and door panel? Thanks in advance for ideas and advice - images attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 500SL
68 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't think you have electric door locks. Mine (98) are vacuum operated. Finding a pump can be problematic. They typically burn out because there is a leak in the system and they end up running continuously. The leather is going to be fairly expensive to repair. Most upholsterers are going to want to do all the leather rather than try to color match. If you can get one to try, then they may be right and the match may not be great. If the canvas roof needs replacement, that will be $2500+. Top hydraulics involve 12? cylinders and can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be wrong, but I don't think you have electric door locks. Mine (98) are vacuum operated. Finding a pump can be problematic. They typically burn out because there is a leak in the system and they end up running continuously. The leather is going to be fairly expensive to repair. Most upholsterers are going to want to do all the leather rather than try to color match. If you can get one to try, then they may be right and the match may not be great. If the canvas roof needs replacement, that will be $2500+. Top hydraulics involve 12? cylinders and can be rebuilt.
Thank you very much for your insights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find that if you look through the history of past auctions at BaT you can get a pretty good cost basis for what you are interested in. CarsandBids is another site for the same, as well.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 238k miles
2,211 Posts
Ok... Door cards and the top to armrest console are easy to swap out. You can probably find them on eBay. Last I knew, quality door cards were running $350 each. The armrest cover, another $100. And again, super easy to swap out. Fyi, the door cards are vinyl. Maybe the armrest cover too, but definitely the door cards.

So far as I know, there was no amg SL500. I expect they bought the rims and added badging. I’d want to see paperwork.

The radio is another easy swap out. Me, I’d buy a Continental. It’ll look right, and have most of today’s features. Originals can be found used and reinstall easily.

I’d check that the sunglass compartment closes. They break and they stay open. They’re a bit pricey IMO and because of the lock, a bit of a pain to install.

The door locks are pneumatic. The locking system is a bit complicated. But when studied, not that bad. Both doors not working could just be a vacuum leak. Lock/unlock the car from the trunk. The pneumatic pump is in the trunk. You should hear it turn on. If it runs for 45 seconds to a minute, you have a vacuum leak. If you hear nothing, start at the pump itself.

Note: the trunk lock will lock/unlock the doors, the trunk, the gas fill cover. Using the key in the sunglass compartment, the compartment itself is mechanical, but it pneumatically controls the armrest compartment and the rear storage compartments. (The door armrest locks are not in this year). If the sunglass compartment is unlocked, the trunk controls all the other areas too.

There’s no telling with the soft top. My aunt had her hardtop in place for years. When I removed it, her soft top was fine, though I had to replace the hydraulic pistons.

Definitely remove the hardtop and see what’s going on. The hydraulic pistons can run several hundred dollars as a diy, to many thousands of you take it to MB. The soft top, when I got my first r129, replacing it terrified me. When I had to get rid of my last r129, I was all set to replace it myself. So... there’s that.

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find that if you look through the history of past auctions at BaT you can get a pretty good cost basis for what you are interested in. CarsandBids is another site for the same, as well.
Thanks. I suspect most of the R129s on BAT are nicer than this one - the interior damage is what really kills the value of this car because so hard to fix unless I cam find those parts from another similar year R129 being parted out.

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok... Door cards and the top to armrest console are easy to swap out. You can probably find them on eBay. Last I knew, quality door cards were running $350 each. The armrest cover, another $100. And again, super easy to swap out. Fyi, the door cards are vinyl. Maybe the armrest cover too, but definitely the door cards.

So far as I know, there was no amg SL500. I expect they bought the rims and added badging. I’d want to see paperwork.

The radio is another easy swap out. Me, I’d buy a Continental. It’ll look right, and have most of today’s features. Originals can be found used and reinstall easily.

I’d check that the sunglass compartment closes. They break and they stay open. They’re a bit pricey IMO and because of the lock, a bit of a pain to install.

The door locks are pneumatic. The locking system is a bit complicated. But when studied, not that bad. Both doors not working could just be a vacuum leak. Lock/unlock the car from the trunk. The pneumatic pump is in the trunk. You should hear it turn on. If it runs for 45 seconds to a minute, you have a vacuum leak. If you hear nothing, start at the pump itself.

Note: the trunk lock will lock/unlock the doors, the trunk, the gas fill cover. Using the key in the sunglass compartment, the compartment itself is mechanical, but it pneumatically controls the armrest compartment and the rear storage compartments. (The door armrest locks are not in this year). If the sunglass compartment is unlocked, the trunk controls all the other areas too.

There’s no telling with the soft top. My aunt had her hardtop in place for years. When I removed it, her soft top was fine, though I had to replace the hydraulic pistons.

Definitely remove the hardtop and see what’s going on. The hydraulic pistons can run several hundred dollars as a diy, to many thousands of you take it to MB. The soft top, when I got my first r129, replacing it terrified me. When I had to get rid of my last r129, I was all set to replace it myself. So... there’s that.
Excellent information and thank you. I didn’t know the door cards and console top were vinyl. I looked at eBay, but will go back and dig deeper. From looking at the images, can you tell the color name/code? The pneumatic locks don’t worry me - I can troubleshoot those. Good suggestion on removing the hard top - I would definitely want the soft top to work as I’d often drive it top down, and I need to look for leaks at the cylinders.

Not a pristine example by any means, but I hate to see it parted out, and some of the more expensive items (Michelin’s, A/C, cats) have been addressed. Again, thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 238k miles
2,211 Posts
The color looks beige. Sometimes referred to as mushroom.

The wood trim looks light. Depending on your skill, you can swap the wood on the door card. I did it. Pretty sure I put a thread in the forum.

I like restorations. Gives one a sense of pride. And if you restore this car, it’s got a lot of life left in it.

Oh, I understand they’re being made on 3D printers now, but center rearview mirrors and the map light covers are notorious for breaking. And used to be super expensive to find used. Like $1000+ for the whole thing. So look at those. And if they’re broken, look into their costs today.

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The color looks beige. Sometimes referred to as mushroom.

The wood trim looks light. Depending on your skill, you can swap the wood on the door card. I did it. Pretty sure I put a thread in the forum.

I like restorations. Gives one a sense of pride. And if you restore this car, it’s got a lot of life left in it.

Oh, I understand they’re being made on 3D printers now, but center rearview mirrors and the map light covers are notorious for breaking. And used to be super expensive to find used. Like $1000+ for the whole thing. So look at those. And if they’re broken, look into their costs today.
Thank you very much - I hadn’t thought of the center mirror and map light cover - I’ll check those.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,078 Posts
Thank you very much - I hadn’t thought of the center mirror and map light cover - I’ll check those.
Interior color is java. You can use door panels and center armrest from 1999-2002 Sl500's. Get a used armrest, should run like $90 or less. Replacement of that is a perfect opportunity to replace its gas strut that makes it fly open like it did when new.

Dig deeper and find out about the soft top condition and function and learn about the condition of the interior plastics.

2001-2002 SL's had AMG sport package as standard, but your car is definitely not an AMG so the badge has gotta go. Your grill isn't stock. You can restore the turn signal stalk return function by adjusting the steering wheel all the way backwards towards the dash.

Given the miles and condition and history, I'd offer the seller $4500. Less if more issues come about. Drivetrain is bulletproof just needs to be maintained, an easy task.

·
Premium Member
'99 SL55 AMG & '00 CLK55 AMG
372 Posts
Very nice R129
That's a Sport package model which came for the USA market only. It consists of AMG body kit and 18" monoblock type 1 wheels. The badge was an add-on by the owner or dealer.

Your color is known as Smoke Silver code 702
Interior is known as Leather Nappa Saffron JAVA code 234

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
5,869 Posts
Also make sure this car comes with at least two WORKING keys.

R129 keys are NLA, so if you lose the key, you're SOL. Be prepared to explain to the Lady Who Must Be Obeyed why you have a 5000lb ornament decorating your driveway.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 238k miles
2,211 Posts
J
Very nice R129
That's a Sport package model which came for the USA market only. It consists of AMG body kit and 18" monoblock type 1 wheels. The badge was an add-on by the owner or dealer.

Is this package the one with the flared fenders? Where they’re wider than other SL’s? Because I helped a friend with one of those. It really...enhances...the performance look of the car.

·
Premium Member
1998 Red SL500, 2002 Black SL500, 2014 Black E350 Cabriolet
1,169 Posts
Mileage is not an issue if maintenance records are available and current.
Interior is....questionable. Abused.
It is not a well kept car. Sadly.
Decent condition SL's...meaning, not perfect but well kept....prices seem to be 12K and up.
Great condition, interior is spot on, etc...18K and up.
Average everyday use, body and interior shows it...not a trophy winner....6~8K
Then we have the project cars such as this one...while drivable...needs what....4~6K plus in bringing it back? We'd be in the 3K range.
Spend probably 3K on parts and DIY....
Still would be only a 5/6K car.
All said and done...car is only worth what it sells for.
We all know...think....our asking price is fair and we always ask for more than it's worth.
We have had many Benzs through the years. Spent lots on buying and repairs.
Still have a 2002 SL we bought new and a 98 SL we bought...2nd owner.
Have a 2014 E350 Convertible and have not had a bit of problems! Soft top is flawless.
Zero issues.
The previous owner was meticulous on having service and maintenance done at the dealership...and it shows.
We all have seen these cars and others....abused. Don't know why.

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interior color is java. You can use door panels and center armrest from 1999-2002 Sl500's. Get a used armrest, should run like $90 or less. Replacement of that is a perfect opportunity to replace its gas strut that makes it fly open like it did when new.

Dig deeper and find out about the soft top condition and function and learn about the condition of the interior plastics.

2001-2002 SL's had AMG sport package as standard, but your car is definitely not an AMG so the badge has gotta go. Your grill isn't stock. You can restore the turn signal stalk return function by adjusting the steering wheel all the way backwards towards the dash.

Given the miles and condition and history, I'd offer the seller $4500. Less if more issues come about. Drivetrain is bulletproof just needs to be maintained, an easy task.
Great information - thanks so much!

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice R129

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also make sure this car comes with at least two WORKING keys.

R129 keys are NLA, so if you lose the key, you're SOL. Be prepared to explain to the Lady Who Must Be Obeyed why you have a 5000lb ornament decorating your driveway.
ThNk you - will check on the keys. Think she’ll notice if it’s under a cover?

·
Registered
2006 E350 (W211)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mileage is not an issue if maintenance records are available and current.
Interior is....questionable. Abused.
It is not a well kept car. Sadly.
Decent condition SL's...meaning, not perfect but well kept....prices seem to be 12K and up.
Great condition, interior is spot on, etc...18K and up.
Average everyday use, body and interior shows it...not a trophy winner....6~8K
Then we have the project cars such as this one...while drivable...needs what....4~6K plus in bringing it back? We'd be in the 3K range.
Spend probably 3K on parts and DIY....
Still would be only a 5/6K car.
All said and done...car is only worth what it sells for.
We all know...think....our asking price is fair and we always ask for more than it's worth.
We have had many Benzs through the years. Spent lots on buying and repairs.
Still have a 2002 SL we bought new and a 98 SL we bought...2nd owner.
Have a 2014 E350 Convertible and have not had a bit of problems! Soft top is flawless.
Zero issues.
The previous owner was meticulous on having service and maintenance done at the dealership...and it shows.
We all have seen these cars and others....abused. Don't know why.
Excellent advice - thank you - I’m beginning to think maybe more $ spent on a better example is good advice - just hate to see this one parted out, but as I often tell my wife, you need to keep emotions out of car buying and selling.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
2,195 Posts
There is no such thing as an "AMG" model for the R129 US market, someone took some liberties in buying knock off badges. This car is actually fitted with the SL1 sport package which was standard on these later model cars as they neared their production end of as can be seen from the more aggressive front bumper with the SL1 foglights, twist skid skirts and rear bumper apron and later style Monoblock wheels

I agree with the summary @Benica this is $5k - $6k car - tops.

One rule of thumb I have is to not buy a car that a previous owner has smoked in or had a pet in. Pet hair is disastrous to a car's HVAC system in places that you cannot clean, maintain or see like the ducting, vacuum system and electronics in the dash or simply remove the seats and take a look at how much hair has accumulated under the motors and wiring. The deep scratches on the interior of this SL would be deal breaker for me.

Pity as the colors are nice on this one.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
523 Posts
An acquaintance is selling this 2001 R129 that’s badged as an AMG, and I’m wondering what the forum thinks is the correct price if I were interested in making an offer. It has an AMG badge on the right trunk lid and has the correct sized offset AMG wheels in good condition with relatively new (~5K miles) Michelins. I wasn’t aware there were any vehicles badges as 500SL AMG, but I could be mistaken or it could be a dealer installed “upgrade”?: Here are the particulars:

138K miles. Gold with tan leather interior - AMG offset wheels
New Michliens, OEM Cats, and A/C compressor (blows very cold)
Good body, no rust, but a small scrape on one rocker panel and missing the jacking point cover
Solid, strong Engine, Transmission and Rear end - no visible leaks and runs/idles well - no known mechanical issues
Aftermarket Alpine radio.
Interior, carpets and leather good EXCEPT (and this is a big gotcha), punctures from dog’s nails on console lid and right door panel.
Hard top has been in place for years, so no idea as to the condition of the soft top
Electric door locks and turn signal canceling not operational
Carfax indicates several “fender benders” with damage to the front bumper, grill. Clean title otherwise.

In terms of restoration, my main concerns would be the door panel and console lid, the potential issues with the soft top/mechanism. And I’m not happy about the non OEM radio and no idea what may have been buggered up in the wiring. Not that concerned about the body or the drivetrain. What do you all think is a fair price and what are the chances of correct replacements or repairs of the console lid and door panel? Thanks in advance for ideas and advice - images attached.
Do you have the VIN?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts