Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK230 Kompressor & 2013 ML350 4MATIC
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a site online that shows ALL the differences between a basic SLK55 and SLK350.

I am looking at getting a 2005 slk55 or a 2006/7 slk350.

I know the slk55 are harder to find and the salesman at the dealer says there isn't much difference other than the gas guzzling v8 and $10,000 but I am sure he is full of it and just wants a quick sale.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
other than picking up an slk brochure i would head for any mb dealer website and 'build your own' and they list all the options, etc.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
For the current MB SLK offerings, you can check out mbusa.com to note the differences. If you want specific differences for the model years you indicated, the best bet would be to do a Google search. Hopefully, you'll be able to find an online PDF. The basic major differences, as you mentioned, are a larger engine and exterior trim.

·
Registered
2008 SLK 280
22 Posts
If horsepower isn't your thing, you can get the SLK 280 with all the bells and whistles the AMG55 has. As others have said, go to www.mbusa.com and use "build your own" to see the diff, but I believe they have turned off that function temporarily as the new models are preparing to release. The biggest diffs are the engine, and the 55 comes pretty much AMG'd out. And at my dealer, the $10K difference on '08s is extremely negotiable.

·
Registered
SLK 280 2007, C180 Cgi estate 2011
126 Posts
Make sure that you do test drive both. I've heard from a retired dealer and others that the 55, though an amazing machine, is not an everyone's idea of an effortless everyday car. If power and adrenaline is your thing, then I guess it is a great fit. If a well behaved fast sports car is what you are after, then the 350 is a dream.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Also probably want to check with your insurance company - unless if you have deep pockets. Apples-to-apples, the 55 will definitely run you more money than the 350. If you're comparing an older 55 with a newer 350, however, the gap narrows.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Obviously with the V8 and 87 more horse power, the SLK55 is going to be a gas guzzler, it's much quicker, 5.5 and 4.5 seconds to 60mph is a HUGE difference. Big brakes, better looking exterior, lower, stiffer suspension are some of the exterior differences, interior includes alcantara seats, smaller and thicker steering wheel, two tone seats, etc. The only problem I have with the AMG is that it does not come with manual transmission, if you don't care for MT, the SLK55 is definitely better. The SLK350 is definitely more economical, I'm getting close to 26mpg city driving, it's fun to row thru all the gears, it's a very capable car.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
454 Posts
Obviously with the V8 and 87 more horse power, the SLK55 is going to be a gas guzzler, it's much quicker, 5.5 and 4.5 seconds to 60mph is a HUGE difference. Big brakes, better looking exterior, lower, stiffer suspension are some of the exterior differences, interior includes alcantara seats, smaller and thicker steering wheel, two tone seats, etc. The only problem I have with the AMG is that it does not come with manual transmission, if you don't care for MT, the SLK55 is definitely better. The SLK350 is definitely more economical, I'm getting close to 26mpg city driving, it's fun to row thru all the gears, it's a very capable car.
Wow! I have averaged 17.6 mpg over the life of my 6mt SLK 350 and my driving is almost exclusively in the city.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Wow! I have averaged 17.6 mpg over the life of my 6mt SLK 350 and my driving is almost exclusively in the city.
How are you shifting? You must be a speed racer :) I always start on 2nd gear, shift to 3rd and skip 4th, straight to 5th or 6th gear. I skip gears all the time, max speed is 40mph but I always go 45mph. Rarely do I pass 2500rpm b4 I shift, I'm actually shocked that I get that much, think something is wrong with the computer but then again, I rarely have to go to the gas station, so I assume it's right. The lowest I get is 22mph. 16-17mpg on the track.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
454 Posts
How are you shifting? You must be a speed racer :) I always start on 2nd gear, shift to 3rd and skip 4th, straight to 5th or 6th gear. I skip gears all the time, max speed is 40mph but I always go 45mph. Rarely do I pass 2500rpm b4 I shift, I'm actually shocked that I get that much, think something is wrong with the computer but then again, I rarely have to go to the gas station, so I assume it's right. The lowest I get is 22mph. 16-17mpg on the track.
Very, very, very, very heavy right foot.:D

·
Registered
04 4Runner V8 Lt, 05 SLK 350, 08 BMW 328xi Coupe
37 Posts
Very, very, very, very heavy right foot.:D

I got from 19 to 28 range and it's really depended on how I drive it. However, I have never seen it lower than 19 even with very very very heavy BOTH foot.

I heard 55 and 350 are totally different cars. It really depends how you are going to use it. For me, 350 is plenty. Most of my friends who I ride with now have same level of the cars. That's where the fun part at. You don't want to break the curve.

However, doesn't matter which one you choice, you would not regarded at all.
it's a fun car.

·
Registered
2008 ML63 AMG, 2005 SLK350, 2004 E500 4-Matic
25 Posts
Also probably want to check with your insurance company - unless if you have deep pockets. Apples-to-apples, the 55 will definitely run you more money than the 350. If you're comparing an older 55 with a newer 350, however, the gap narrows.
I got a quote from my insurance and the same year 55 was actually about $20 less / month than our 350. I'm guessing due to the much older demographic and much less use / weekend car status.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 350
54 Posts
I got a quote from my insurance and the same year 55 was actually about $20 less / month than our 350. I'm guessing due to the much older demographic and much less use / weekend car status.
The insurance for my 09 SLK 350 is less than the insurance was for my 06 SLK 280. Both purchased new.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Some of the extras in the 55, that the 350 doesn't have, include:

- The claws on the bonnet, right where the airholes are
- Two separate black whisker bits on each side of the big MB star at the front
- Front bumper is similar to the AMG bumper for the 350's, but the real AMG has side air vents as well
- The rear bumper has a black strip with a silver strip beneath it
- The different exhaust setup (quad exhaust tips) and makes a very rumbly sound
- 18" or larger rims, with a specific look for the AMG
- Larger brakes
- Spoiler on the rear deck
- The engine of course
- Side skirts are specific to the AMG as well, but might be the same as on the 350 if you get the AMG kit
- Interior has a carbon color surrounding bit for the speedometer and other dials
- The dials are a different color and there's AMG lettering
- Different steering wheel, and the wheel always has the shifter buttons (left for down, right for up)
- Specific shifter with no logo on it (no AMG logo or MB star, just a silver bit on top)
- Much nicer seats with leather and alcantara and AMG logo
- Smoked rear lights
- AMG badge on the rear

Maybe I missed something, but this comes to mind... to get some of these (or similar) on the 350, you need to get the designo interior (for the proper leather and seats) as well as the AMG kit, which once you've paid for them, makes your car almost as expensive as the 55...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts