Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance but I am after (what I call) a new steering rod for my 404. I would also call it a track rod. It's the rod that connects the left and right wheels. It's slung under and slightly behind the front diff.
Please forgive my ignorance as I am a bit of a noob. :surrender:
I'm just checking to see that I'm using the correct name for this part.
Any vendors reading this who are happy to ship to Australia, please send me a pm.
I've seen tie rods advertised but I assume that is a different part.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Tie rod!

A drag link connects your pitman arm to your knuckle. A panhard rod is the one that connects your frame to your axle.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Yep - tie rod. Other front axle links are as stated above by Chuck "who's beard hides a fist" Norris.

The drag link is so named because the steering box's Pitman arm actually 'drags' this link back and forth on a recirculating ball-type system.

A Panhard rod can also be called a 'track bar or, less accurately, 'track rod' and actually locates the axle side-to-side. So-called because it was invented by the French Panhard Car Co in the dark ages of automobiles :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
You are looking for the tie rod. MB part number 404 330 0103 for the 404 Unimogs. One end is fixed on the rod, the other is removable/adjustable. Most dealers should not have a problem shipping to Australia, however it may be more expensive as I believe it is over the length limits for shipping via USPS. With current exchange I believe it runs in the $300+ range from MB, a good bit less in NOS.

Expedition Imports Corporation Tie Rod - Complete with Ball Joints

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Hey - look at that !

They're bent from the factory - normally, I need to bash mine a few times for it to look like that :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help and the part number makes it much easier. Much appreciated. Also congratulations on a well sorted web site EI. I'll see if I can get one locally, as freight is a killer. Otherwise, hello Visa card. I'm trying to get the old one off to straighten it. Wow, those ball joints are tight. I have a smallish ball joint separator. The fork isn't wide enough to sit on the joint properly, so I'm off to the shops to get a bigger tool.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
A very large hammer will be your friend when removing the joints.

Unbolt joint, hit the end of the arm the joint is bolted to as hard as you can. Prepare for joint to fly off.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A ball joint press works quite well, although even using the MB Tool, quite often we will pinch the boot. Assuming the ball press is not in the arsenal, the air hammer works wonders. The vibration of 3000 blows per minute usually does the trick. I use a concave wheel stud bit, turn over the nut and usually within 3-4 seconds it is done.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just out of curiosity I asked my mechanic to price the genuine MB item. I can't speak for the rest of Australia, but my local dealership claims that part has never been imported (to Australia) by Merc. They are happy to bring one in for me. $820 AUS.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all the forum members who have helped me out on this one. If all goes well I should have a new tie rod early in the new year. Meanwhile, I have straightened out the old one and I'm in the process of fitting it up. I need help.
I don't think I've done it properly. I haven't tested it yet but I have a feeling that if I turn the steering wheel the the steering damper attached in this manner then it's going to end badly.

This is a pic of the area in question, looking down from above the passenger side, with the wheel removed. Does anyone have a diagram of what it's supposed to look like ?
I'm talking about how the steering damper connects to the tie rod.
I think I've got it wrong. :confused:
Also, I've cleverly lost one of the castle nuts for the tie rod ball joints. Can anyone give me the specs of the nut ? I'll replace both sides.
The steering damper is completely shagged too, so I guess I'll need one of those. Or maybe just ditch it ?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Don't think you want to ditch the dampener.
From what little I know the steering dampener is quite important.
It will help to keep your front end from shimming, and more importantly, will keep your thumbs and fingers from getting bashed when a front tire hits a rock unexpected like. There is a saying, "thumbs out" (Outside of the steering wheel) that applies even with a good steering damper.
Sorry but I don't know how it is supposed to look, someone with a 404 will be along with a reply I'm sure.
Take Care, Aloha, and Thumbs out! :-o

1 - 16 of 16 Posts