Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 500SEL. The rear self leveling is completely shot!! The shocks are dead and the lines are all rusted. I cannot afford to replace the $1000 rear shocks and the lines. What is the cheapest way to change them to regular shocks? The car still rides good but the rear springs are making the worst creaking noise I have ever heard. Someone please help!!! Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
i heard someone on the forums said that it was a direct replacement and the sls was removed. search in the forums some one recently did it if i remember correctly :)

i myself dont like the self leveling system either they are expensive to repair.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
mine had a rubber like thing replaced when mine use to squeak on very rough roads and ever since they have been perfect knock on wood

·
Registered
1992 S 600
74 Posts
Finally got my car on a lift found out why my shock has the"THUD" sound over bumps the lower bushing inside the plastic sleve is rotten on the driver side is there a way to replace the bushing, as far as replacing the SLS for a normal shock set up you have to get a fitting for your lines or you will have a check light on or take the bulb out of your gauge cluster the rest should be straight forward just get some normal shocks for your 500.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I have a 1992 500SEL. The rear self leveling is completely shot!! The shocks are dead and the lines are all rusted. I cannot afford to replace the $1000 rear shocks and the lines. What is the cheapest way to change them to regular shocks? The car still rides good but the rear springs are making the worst creaking noise I have ever heard. Someone please help!!! Thank you very much.
Search the forum for a thread started by "snik". Almost all the info you need is there. He has listed part numbers for springs, but they may not be for your exact model. You may have to do your own research for part numbers. Calling your local dealer may be easiest, although some dealers have a policy of not giving out part numbers over the phone (solely for the purpose of making it difficult for the DIY'er). The springs are actually not that much from Mercedes. Used springs are an alternative. Contact "eddie a" here on this forum. He parts out W140s.

Brett

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
as far as replacing the SLS for a normal shock set up you have to get a fitting for your lines or you will have a check light on or take the bulb out of your gauge cluster the rest should be straight forward just get some normal shocks for your 500.
This is not correct. There is no electrical sensor component to the SLS. It's completely mechanical. SLS with ADS is different. ADS has lots of electrical sensors and will light the ADS fault lamp when there is a fault.

Brett

·
Registered
1997 s600
267 Posts
Strutmasters conversion is the cheapest way to go.367.00. I will be performing this in a few weeks and will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
600SEL
1,083 Posts
This is not correct. There is no electrical sensor component to the SLS. It's completely mechanical. SLS with ADS is different. ADS has lots of electrical sensors and will light the ADS fault lamp when there is a fault.

Brett
ADS not a problem either. Just remove ADS control module.

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Just loop the hydraulic lines (near the rear diff on the drivers side) and that then replace the shocks with normal ones.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
connect the in and out lines at the sls valve (bypass that)... i take it they are also corroded to hell so you will need to make something work there

get bilsteins

try 23mm pad and see if that works. maybe your springs will not sag with the 4 pads up there but if they do, you need new ones.

you are still looking at 500+$ for the conversion. less if you dont need springs but cant know till you try

·
Registered
600SEL
1,083 Posts
I found good place to loop oil lines inside left wheel well behind the plastic liner. Both lines have connection joints there. Pressure line has compression joint and return joint by rubber hose with clamps.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Do the springs and/or shims have to be replaced too to get the correct ride height?
My educated guess is that the springs will have to be a little stiffer since the accumulators provide some of the spring in the system. Snik lists SLS and non-SLS spring part numbers that are different. In his very nice thread on this subject.

Brett

·
Registered
S500v 4Matic 2003 - S600 V12 1998 (Sold) - E320 4Matic 1999 - E430 4matic 2001 - CLK320 conv 2004
605 Posts
Guys here's the article by Snik.. look at the end for parts number and his conclusion about the job once it had been done!
It's on the german forum but still it's in english specialy at the end

Suspension / Shock Absorber - Das W140 Forum

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
send him a line. i read later on that he still had to adjust the rear after it settled..

·
Registered
S500v 4Matic 2003 - S600 V12 1998 (Sold) - E320 4Matic 1999 - E430 4matic 2001 - CLK320 conv 2004
605 Posts
I just did mine yesterday!
Conversion is done!
Total cost:
2 x 200$ Bilstein shocks
3h labor x 65$ at local garage 195$
-----------------
Total 595$

Mecanic had me returning Monroe shocks that I bought specificaly for the 600 as Monroe's catalog suggested but said they wouldn't fit, so he went with the OE Bilstein shocks and everything worked well
BUT..
The Coil Springs were already sagged so didn't help it but look lowered and had a "boat" feeling OR i think it's because they just don't support the weight enough because the coil springs that goes into self-leveling car are less supportive than the one that are put into non self-leveling :confused: So I think I might have to change springs too!!! :(

Anyone know if springs for non self-leveling do fit on self-leveling structure??

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
all springs fit

you also need to play with the shims. sadly there is no way to know what the final stance of the car will be until a few days later when it's settled in..... so hold off on that alignment for a bit

monroes are vomit. good on your mechanic for sending that crap back

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks for the all springs fit! Is it a rumor or is it true that springs for non self-levling are stronger and more supportive than the one on self-leveling cars!?
I guess you read my mind about that alignement.. so you wouldn't do alignment until new springs are on!? Cause it's in a pretty bad shape now and on the highway it kinda wobble/shake at every wheel spin! Guess if I order new springs it'll take a while to arrive and I don't know about risking to have a wheel come off while i'm on a hwy. I do an alignment now and another once I install new springs. Do you think it usualy requires new alignement after installing new springs?

I also though the same thing about the monroe's I had.. weirdly they didn't have Monroe sticker on them and came in a brown box for the fact! ;) chinese/mexican imitation maybe!?! :) Guess that's my luck going for the bilsteins!

·
Registered
605 Posts
send him a line. i read later on that he still had to adjust the rear after it settled..
well there's no way for contacting him since his on the german forum and I don't have a membership for that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts