Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with dolucasi. You've used the wrong engine oil. If you have the owner's manual for your car, that will tell you the correct oil to use. Oils for gas engines and diesel engines are NOT interchangeable. You need to remove the 10w-40 oil as soon as possible before you do more damage to your engine that could cost big $$$ to repair. You need to use oil that is only for a diesel engine!

·
Registered
1993 190e 3.0
117 Posts
Diesel oil is not going to damage these motors.

Plenty of guys on this forum use Shell Rotella or Chevron Delvac diesel oil in their gas engines for the extra ZDDP additives they provide.

Using too thin a weight for one's climate or engine application or going too long before an oil change will cause damage first.

Personally I am a fan of Castrol GTX conventional oil. For synthetic there are a lot of choices out there. Just be prepared for oil leaks if you are switching to a thinner weight.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,054 Posts
Yep, word is the M103 gasoline engines can take and maybe prefer diesel oils (I use Rotella or Delo depending on price) as they tend to clean the engine slowly over time.
Using a gasoline engine oil in a diesel engine is probably not good. Surprized the OP's manual for his diesel engine does not mention that.

For the age of these cars a 20W50 conventional oil in mild weather is perhaps best for gasoline engines. Once in a while I use that too.
Even if you are in a colder climate, but the car is garaged at night, I doubt the 20W50 oil will do any damage as temps will not go below freezing in a garage below the arctic circle.

Cheers!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry gang but my engineer father who was a member of the Society of Automotive engineers taught me differently. In addition, you should always only use the oil recommended in the owner's manual. That recommendation comes from the engineers who designed the car. Synthetic oil should only be used when a car is brand new and used consistently from new. Putting synthetic in a car with many thousands of miles already on it is a waste of money. My engineer father worked for Mobil and knew the man who originally developed Mobil 1 and that's what he taught me on synthetics.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,357 Posts
I love people quoting knowledge from 30+ years ago. Knowledge changes.
Yep, but here we are. More specifically, technology advances. So that old ass advice that may have been valid when it was originally given doesn't always apply to products that are currently available.

Just ask Exxon-Mobil

·
Registered
319 Posts
I love it that people who aren't engineers with engineering degrees from top engineering schools, decades of engineering work experience and membership in the engineering group that sets the standards for the entire automotive industry think they know more than the engineers with just such a resume. Tyhackman15 and partnumber 187, neither of you have such a resume and never will. I find your nasty and uninformed comments unacceptable. You know it alls go right ahead and ruin your cars and then have to spend big money fixing the damage because you were too full of yourselves to listen to someone with far more knowledge about cars than you'll ever have. Your nasty attack on me was unwarranted, offensive and unacceptable.

·
Registered
1993 190e 3.0
117 Posts
No one was being nasty to you w201fan.

Before you turn this into a synthetic oil debate, ask yourself, if you brought this car to the Mercedes dealer today, would they use conventional oil? Or would they use their standard synthetic 5w-40 Mercedes-Benz oil that is very much on hand.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,357 Posts
I love it that people who aren't engineers with engineering degrees from top engineering schools, decades of engineering work experience and membership in the engineering group that sets the standards for the entire automotive industry think they know more than the engineers with just such a resume.
You'll be hard pressed to find any engineer who would respond to decades of advancement in their field with, "well my daddy said...".

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,054 Posts
I love these "oil" discussions. It is almost like my "red coat" is a better color then "your red" coat.
I think one thing is for sure, the original oil recommendation go out the door when the engine gets over 200K miles.

Whatever oil is used my experience is that there is a certain amount of oil burnt in these cars at this point in time.
Some of that burnt oil ends up back in the crankcase.

I usually buy 8 quarts of oil (2 gallon sized ones), and when it is all gone it is time for an oil filter and oil change as the oil gets dirty.
It tends to go 2500-3000 miles before that.

I think whatever oil keeps cleaner for 3000 miles is the better choice for me. I think that is diesel oil, but I'm not sold on that just yet.
I have never used a synthetic oil, but I could be convinced to do so if it truly keeps cleaner as advertised.

Since we are talking oil here, here is a data-point for the readers:

After much deliberation I decided to use what a lot of people call "snake oil" product in my last oil cycle. Auto-Rx.
In an attempt to cut down on the oil burning (due to oil ring in the pistons). Head is newly machined and excessive blow-by is not present as the throttle throat and air return is bone dry and never cleaned.

Word is still out on the Auto-Rx as far as piston rings are concerned but one thing is for sure, I had a tiny leak coming from the front of the engine that I thought was the oil pan seal.
I think it was instead the pulley seal and Auto-Rx seems to have stopped that leak entirely. It could be temporary of course.

My biggest concern was actually Auto-Rx causing more leaks as that is the main complaint out there on the WEB. So far I have not seen that with my engine, quite the opposite.

I'm not too hopeful on the piston rings though, they have the 200K wear on them, hard to fix that with a cleaner (probably cleaning is actually worse)

Sorry for the diversion,

I still think the OP needs to use diesel oil in his diesel engine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
SpartanV it was a nasty personal attack and that's why I had such a strong reaction. Non engineers here think they know more than a bona fide expert so I'm not going to waste my time with this thread.

·
Registered
1993 190e 3.0
117 Posts
SpartanV it was a nasty personal attack and that's why I had such a strong reaction. Non engineers here think they know more than a bona fide expert so I'm not going to waste my time with this thread.
I'm not an engineer but I have a very experienced mechanic that swears by conventional Castrol GTX in m103 and m104 motors specifically. He said that new formulations of synthetic oil do not have enough graphite or older additive packages in conventional oil to keep the piston rings sealed properly.

If this is true than maybe it's not synthetic oil itself that is the problem but the lack of additives such as ZDDP or "graphite" mentioned that is not found in appropriate amounts in modern synthetic oil formulations.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts