Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1993 W201, AMG W124, W140
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

what is the best engine oil for w201? is it fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil?
Pls advice! Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Use regular oil, no need for synthetic, semi-synthetic or any blend.
Check your manual, you should use 10W40 for colder climate and 20W50 for hotter climates.

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E 1.8 litres 30,000 miles - knackered differential.
192 Posts
what is the best engine oil for w201?
One which is changed frequently ! :thumbsup:
I use a 15w-40 with 'Active-8 anti-friction additive, but if you only want the engine to couple a couple of hundred thousand miles then Duckhams wil do okay. :surrender:

·
Registered
192 Posts
The best oil is valvoline 10-60 raicing
Really ? Why? :confused:
What makes it 'best' - and 'best' at what ? Lower friction ? Better removal of poducts of combustion ?
Can you direct us to some web sites showing the results of some quantitative tests ?
Or are you just talking crap ? :surrender:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi Kepla,

thank for ur view. how often u service ur auto-transmisson?? what types of lubs u use?
what elses i need to pay attention during servicing the car?
Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mobil recommends Mobil 1 0w 30. Isn't it too thin to hold up with those ol enginesy?
If you happen to live in a really cold country, have a brand new engine and it never runs hot then you'll get away with 10w30.
For an 'average' engine - just a bit worn but not too much - and in a temperate climate you'll do about right with a bottom figure of about 15. Maybe you could use a 10 in winter, but it would be like water the rest of the year. For normal running you want a top figure of around 40 or 50 if you are in a hot climate. 60 would only be necessary for competition where engines are more heavily stressed and run hotter.
With England being a temperate climate I tend to run all my cars with 15w40 all year round. If it is a really hot summer and I know I'll be doing a lot of fairly fast driving - maybe continental touring or whatever - then I'll go to 20w50, but I'd not use that in a modern engine in winter - it is too thick !
thank for ur view. how often u service ur auto-transmisson?? what types of lubs u use?
I'll change the transmission oil at about 24,000 - 25,000 miles (major service interval) which is what Mercedes recommends, though many people leave it in much longer. I just use straight ATF with no extra additives - you don't want to put a friction inhibitor in an auto box ! My preference is for Duckhams lubricants as they seem to show slightly better results in lab tests.
what elses i need to pay attention during servicing the car?
Basically it would take just far too loong to list everything. Your local friendly Mercedes stealership should be able to give you the 'official' Mercedes list of service points if you really want it.
The general idea is to replace engine oil, oil filter amd air filer every 5000 - 6000 miles and inspect anything which tends to wear a lot, like the brakes, and check ALL fluid levels. At 10,000 to 12,000 miles you need to be going right around the car lubricating everything properly - not just the big obvious things, but locks and catches, hinges and stuff like that too. I also like to replace the spark plugs at this mileage - before they start to show signs of age.
At about 24,000 - 25,000 miles you do a 'major service' which is a full replacement of ALL the fluids. This includes the brake fluid and the coolant. ALL filters should be dismantled and cleaned and/or replaced as necessary. Wheel bearings should be cleaned and re-packed with grease. Brakes should be re-lined. The rest of the major service is inspection of everything you can find. some manufacturers specify that all braking system seals and flexible hoses should be replaced at a major service too - though most suggest this is done at around 50,000 - 60,000 miles.
One of the things I do every year - which is often neglected by most people - is to go around the entire electrical system, every connection, bulb and fuse - and make sure the contacts are clean. Petroleum jelly (vaseline) is great for keeping connection weatherproof.
There is one alternative to proper servicing: wait untill something breaks down and then mend it ! That's the choice - one or the other. There is no 'third option' you either service it or it will break down - this is the only realistic guarantee you get once a car is a few years old. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much Indeed

HI Kepla,

Thanks for ur valuable advice, thanks.

·
Registered
1992 W124 300ce sportline , {1992 W201 2.6 (totalled) }
395 Posts
Thanks Kepla - i guess I need to get mt Tras and brake fluid replaced ..
already done the rest.

My trans fluid looks nice and clean .. do i still need to replace it??

·
Registered
2014 w212 e250 Bluetec
97 Posts
I live in Atlanta, Georgia and have an hour long commute each way, in the summer its around 100deg F and I'm running 85-95mph all the way with engine at around 3000rpm's on a 5spd tranny. I run Castrol GTX 20W-50, my engine purrs and doesn't use much oil, I have 156,000 miles on it!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
dirtyhands said:
I live in Atlanta, Georgia and have an hour long commute each way, in the summer its around 100deg F and I'm running 85-95mph all the way with engine at around 3000rpm's on a 5spd tranny. I run Castrol GTX 20W-50, my engine purrs and doesn't use much oil, I have 156,000 miles on it!
You are using the perfect oil for your condition. Good choice :)

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
15W-40 Castrol diesel oil. Actually I think all 15W-40 weight oils are diesel oils. I think Kepla has covered the topic nicely. 20W-50 if you go rip-assing around a lot, 10W-40 in colder climes. Synthetics? Well, it's your money. Your motor doesn't care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all
I just bought a 1989 190 2.5d
was she runs good,i changed the engine oil end filter and now when she cold a valve knock in.
i use 10w-40
what is intresting,wit old oil never heart this, now after change straight away.
maybe hydro tappet need changed??

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,894 Posts
You have a diesel engine, I assume you need 15W40 Diesel Oil.

10W-40 oils are not diesel oils as far as I know

1 - 20 of 32 Posts