Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My paint is silver and I tried quite a few over the counter car waxes, eg. Meguiar's Gold Class, and they all suck. [:(!]

I am looking for a wet and shiny mirror look. Any suggestion? [:I]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
A lot of people like Zaino's brothers but you have to follow the directions or you will wast your time & money.

Best wax? I am going to say Zymol Vintage, followed closely by Atlantique. Be prepared to spend between $800-$1500 for a small container.

Before applying the wax clay your car.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
I like zaino. not b/c it looks so much better but because it definitely lasts longer.

it's actually not as difficult to apply as people think. they've really simplified it. heck, even the old way only involved 2 products.

for the most part, I believe waxes are similar. Zaino is not considered a way, so it doesn't wash off as easily.

BTW, silver is a very difficult color to "highlight".

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
lilMAC - 4/23/2005 4:29 PM

Be prepared to spend between $800-$1500 for a small container.
I think you're missing a period.

I hope at least.
Nope no missing decimal points, and actually I should have said said $800-$1600 for ~8.5 oz.

But for $1600 you get lifetime refills.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
Zymol is very very shiney especially if you prep the paint well, but doesn't last very long. Zaino lasts very long if you prep the paint correctly. I've been trying Meguires NXT and it seem to be a great "wax", almost a shiney as Zymol but doesn't last as long a Zaino. But very cheap and easy to apply, and very available locally.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
It's a common misconception that wax makes a car shiny. You must first make the paint shiny. The common approach is to wash the car, clay it, polish it either by hand or with a buffer and then when the paint is as good as it's going to get, then put wax. I've been using mostly Meguiars products, not the kind you get a Pep Boys but what professional detailers use. Out of their consumer line, their clay is good and only $10 with the detailer mist, and their NXT Tech Wax works pretty well, can even fill in some fine swirls, better than Gold Class. You must wait about 15 minutes or more after applying to remove it. Lasts a good time, did my car in November and when I redid it in March it was still pretty smooth and shiny.

If want the ultimate shine, you'll need to get polish. I use Meguiars DACP #83 (you have to get it at automotive paint stores or Meguiars.com direct, not at Pep Boys). For a beginner, use the Porter Cable 7336 DA buffer that you can get a Lowes for under $100 depending on sales. Meguiars makes good products, they just don't sell most to consumers.

If you clay and polish the car before waxing, any wax will make your car look great, the issue becomes more if which is easier to use, dusts less, priced right and protection lasts a few months. I've used Klasse and it's good but too pricy. Seen cars freshly done with Zaino and when NXT Tech Wax was applied on half the car, NXT brought out the color more, specially on darker cars.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read a lot of reviews and people do have different comment about wax. I heard that P21S wax is pretty good. Anyone tried that one before?

I am sure I will give clay a try because all reviews stated clay does help alot.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
As a minor add on to Buellwinkle's comments ..........

Polish is what makes the car shiney, wax actually dulls the finish. Rarely are the cars at places like Pebble Beach and Fashion Island waxed much, if at all. They polish the heck out of them, and then stick them in the trailers to get them to the show.
Wax is considered a protectent, believe it or not, not a shine maker. The finish wax leaves behind is what makes the surface feel shiney, polish is what actually brings out the shine.
Use a clay bar first to get the "chunks" of debris out of the paint, then polish the surface, then whatever you decide as a "wax" for the final coat. I have been using the stuff you call junk for quite some years now, and Meguiares (sp?) has helped me win quite a few trophies with my SLK's including one National MBCA Event..... [;)] [:D] [:)]

·
Registered
SLK
543 Posts
zymol or swissol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterday I went and bought Mother's Clay Bar and Meguiar's Polish.

After using both the clay bar and the polish, I have to say it is a hugh different! It is now so smooth and shiny that I don't want to wax it. [:I][:I]

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
CL600 Sport
96 Posts
Andy ::VancouveR:: - 4/23/2005 9:19 PM

I read a lot of reviews and people do have different comment about wax. I heard that P21S wax is pretty good. Anyone tried that one before?
Yes, P21S is the best wax. Zymol doesn't last and Zano is a synthetic that lasts a long time but I've heard that paint shops hate Zanos as paint doesn't stick to it (if you ever need paint-work, that is).
David M

·
Registered
290 Posts
Liquid Glass. Dodn't need anything else. Similar to Zaino but available at discount prices and without the cult mumbo-jumbo behind Zaino.

I have a black car that hates polish and wax with a passion and does its best to get rid of it or show up every switrl mark and dust in defiance. I was a Meguiar fanatic for a very long time and when you spend hours and do it right you can indeed get fantastic results.

But life is too short to go the conventional wax route on a black car.

I put on Liquid Glass (three layers of it) twice a year and every time the car is just washed you get a shine that is 90% of what a 4-hour wax job would give you and 120% of the color depth and it stays on for months as opposed to the traditional wax which barely last more than a few washes.

This is the easiest thing to put on and buff out. No elbow grease needed.

Liquid Glass also seems to make the car a little more impervious to chipping.

Have been using it for the last 2 years. Have not seen any adverse effect. People still find it hard to believe it is a 6 year old car when it is washed. A very practical solution to conventional waxes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Finish First not Liquid Glass!

venk - 4/26/2005 10:28 AM

Liquid Glass.
Sorry got the name wrong. It is not Liguid Glass, something I have never used.

The stuff I use for which the above description applies is Finish First.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
LOL the cult mumbo-jumbo of Zaino?

I keep my cult memberships down [;)] But I do think Zaino makes a great and easy to use set of products. I also like Zymol but the finish was considerably more work and lasted a much shorter duration.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Never seen Finish First and a quick google search turns up some places that have it but far from common. It appears to be a synthetic wax like Zaino, Klasse AIO, Eagle Nanowax or Meguiars NXT Tech Wax and I do prefer those for longevity, swirl filling capabilities and shine over natural caranuba based waxes. If your happy with a product and it works for you then stick with it, doesn't mean other products are bad, everyone has different priorities and some products do better on some finishes and colors than others. Still think that for dark cars, a good buffer, foam pads and polish go a long way to making your car shiny regardless of the wax you use. What's a great product for in between polishing/buffing and waxing is Meguiars #7. It gives it that extra depth in the shine like wet paint.

·
Registered
290 Posts
www.finishfirstpolish.com is where I get it from.

You are right in that almost all reputable products (excepting some of those you pick up on the shelf of a Kmart or local grocery store) do a fairly good job. The major difference will be in the effort needed to get the desired results and the longevity of the application.

I did the multi-step Meguiars method religiously for my previous car and after 12 years, although some body parts were ready to fall off, the surface paint still looked good.

The best thing about synthetics is that they are so easy to apply and remain effective for a much longer time. May not be relevant to people who wash and wax every other week for a few hours each time but I am getting too old to sustain that besides having other interests to spend that much time on the car.

As far as the wet look is considered, FinishFirst does beat the Meguiar treatment in my experience having done both on this car, especially if you apply multiple layers of FinishFirst letting it dry between each. It also works much better on non-metallic finishes than metallic finishes although for the effort involved it is fine for the latter as well. The Meguiar treatment seems to let the metallic finish come through better.

·
Registered
2001 320SLK
49 Posts
After reading all the advice, I ended up getting a bottle of that NXT stuff and tried it out yesterday. Just wondering how much effort you guys make to keeping whatever wax you are using just on the paint? My first impressions of the SLK was that it would be very easy to wax with those large metal areas, but when I got down to doing the work I found that there are many seams of rubber or vinyl or whatever which in practice I found it almost impossible to keep free of the wax. Is it a big deal, or do you just rub it off? The NXT box says to be sure not to get any on anything but the paint, but they obviously never actually waxed a real world car.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts