Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi AsianBlackR350

Merry Christmas

Have you been able to mount tires installed teh new wheels?

I have looked at the same style wheels online as well, I really like the style:thumbsup:
2008R320,

Same to you and Happy Newyear.

Becase the winter is already here early this year, I have postponed getting the new 20" tires. Just got a lot of snow this week and the existing 18" tires handled so great in snow (not sure about 20" tires in snow).

Mitaka who is a member forum here got the same wheels (same seller) had installed the new wheels.

mitaka,

Can you post the picture of your new 20" wheels here?

thanks,

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi I am getting them installed right now. Should have pix in a few days... By the way since I am doing an alignment at the dealer I decided to save the Continentals for later. I bought new Pirelli PZero Rosso for the new rims from Tire Rack. They classify them as High Performance Summer tires but other places including MB rate them as All Season???!!??? Total came to $900 and change... For $1400 and change you can get the higher end PZeros but I felt it is not necessary for the R. If I had an SL I'd spend the $1400...

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,249 Posts
Hi I am getting them installed right now. Should have pix in a few days... By the way since I am doing an alignment at the dealer I decided to save the Continentals for later. I bought new Pirelli PZero Rosso for the new rims from Tire Rack. They classify them as High Performance Summer tires but other places including MB rate them as All Season???!!??? Total came to $900 and change... For $1400 and change you can get the higher end PZeros but I felt it is not necessary for the R. If I had an SL I'd spend the $1400...
Can't wait to see the result...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here are the pix with 265/45/20 Pirelli PZero Rosso. Feels great... Ride feels tougher stiffer... I like it...

Attachments

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,249 Posts
Here are the pix with 265/45/20 Pirelli PZero Rosso. Feels great... Ride feels tougher stiffer... I like it...
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :thumbsup: :bowdown: looks really nice

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Sweet!!!!!.:thumbsup:. I like the first pix from distance.
Can't wait to have mine installed.
Stay away from NY/NJ potholes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah I am very paranoid about the potholes. I don't want bubbles in my new tires... It looks really nice like a new car. Dramatic change in looks...

·
Registered
69 Posts
2008R320,

Same to you and Happy Newyear.

Becase the winter is already here early this year, I have postponed getting the new 20" tires. Just got a lot of snow this week and the existing 18" tires handled so great in snow (not sure about 20" tires in snow).

Mitaka who is a member forum here got the same wheels (same seller) had installed the new wheels.

mitaka,

Can you post the picture of your new 20" wheels here?

thanks,
I went with the Goodyear Fortera SL Edition in a 275/45/20 and they are good in snow. Got them from Tirerack mounted on 20" OZ Canyons. Overall diam of 29.8" works out. They are the #2 tire in the 'Street/Sport Truck All-Season' category. The ratings were better than the Michelin Lats they replaced at less than half the price! The only negative was that I think it was a little heavier. The tire looks good, handles awesome, and rides very quiet. I love they tires and would def buy again if I can find the same size (looks like TR doesn't have them anymore)! But in general the R is very good in snow and unless you have really crappy tires or over 6" of unplowed snow you should be fine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I went with the Goodyear Fortera SL Edition in a 275/45/20 and they are good in snow. Got them from Tirerack mounted on 20" OZ Canyons. Overall diam of 29.8" works out. They are the #2 tire in the 'Street/Sport Truck All-Season' category. The ratings were better than the Michelin Lats they replaced at less than half the price! The only negative was that I think it was a little heavier. The tire looks good, handles awesome, and rides very quiet. I love they tires and would def buy again if I can find the same size (looks like TR doesn't have them anymore)! But in general the R is very good in snow and unless you have really crappy tires or over 6" of unplowed snow you should be fine.

I am glad to see your post.

Can the existing spare tire (29" O.D) be used without affect the ride, if you have a flat tire (29.8" OD)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think using the spare will have an effect on the ride even with the original wheels because it has a diff tire, diff rim, diff weight etc. But it's only for temporary use...I don't think the effect will be any worse with 29.8" tires.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think using the spare will have an effect on the ride even with the original wheels because it has a diff tire, diff rim, diff weight etc. But it's only for temporary use...I don't think the effect will be any worse with 29.8" tires.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I stopped by dealer today and the Service Advisor told me that I do need the TPMS and the Parts Dept. gave the part no.:0025408271.( I hope he knows what he is talking about). My 07 Acura RL shows each wheel with pressure.

I guess that i will find out when I am ready to have the wheels mount.
Couldn't you have taken the TPMS from your old set of wheels and installed on the new set? Unless you want to keep both sets of wheels (another for winter?).

I'm in the middle of researching this too. I'm also going the 20" route.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I had my new rims w/ TPMS installed at local MB dealer along with wheels alignment.

I am sure any local tires shops can reset or calibrate the TPMS by using their own TPMS equipment.

Note: For the car to recognize the TPMS, it has to have the same signal frequency. Mine is 433 Hz (cycle/sec)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are so many variables that go into selecting tires, tread wear rating, looks, speed rating, etc. that nobody will have the same need. I have an R63 with the stock 20" wheels. I was tired of replacing the stock 265/45/R20 tires every 20K miles (and I drive conservatively) so I went to a Michelin HP Tour All Season 265/50/R20 which has a higher treadwear rating (400's), good ride, quiet and provides handling that meets 95% of my needs. I can even fit snow cables with just a slight rubbing under full steering lock. The tires are also wearing significantly longer than the lower treadwear rated originals.

Again, not for everybody but exactly what I wanted.
Hello im going to change the tirea, do you have problems with the height of the tire 50 instead 45? Thank you

21 - 38 of 38 Posts