Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1999 CLK 320 conv, 2015 ML350, (2011 ML550 gone, C320 wagon gone, 2005 C240 gone)
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the average price at the Mercedes dealership for a transmission fluid change? I asked a local Mercedes independant and he is asking for $700! He said that it takes a lot of ATF to ensure that all of it is replaced. I have replaced the ATF myself on most of the other Benzs I have owned but my new to me 2015 ML350 has an extended warranty that requires a professional to do this.

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,581 Posts
My local (FSVO "local") dealer charged $450.11 a week ago today. The description was:
DRAIN TRANS FLUID, REMOVE TRANS PAN, CLEAN TRANS OIL PAN, REPLACE DRAIN SEAL, REPLACE TRANS FILTER, PREFILL TRANS USING MERCEDES APPROVED TRANS FLUID, REPLACE TAMPER PLUG, TEST DRIVE FOR QUALITY.
They used 6 liters of fluid.

I had the same service done on my W164 diesel a couple of years ago, and it cost just over $500.

You need at least a second opinion, if not a new indy.

·
Registered
2014 ML 350 BLUETEC
104 Posts
Just did Trany service at indy shop 450$
A few year ago did the same at the dealer and price was 480$ but sometime you get coupon 130$ off
for services 250 and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Using only 6L of ATF means the indie/dealer did not drain the torque converter. Expect 9L use of ATF for a drain of the transmission and the torque converter.

·
Registered
99 ML320
10 Posts
$900.00, Complete fluid change , filter etc. Tampa MB. Drain Torque Converter, yes.
(and they say it with a straight face!)
I asked them back in December, so it could be more now.
I plan on doing a partial, and then do it again in say in another 20k
Getting the vehicle up level, and an obd scanner to get the precise temp..good measure of what comes out..As I like to say......"What could go wrong?"

* I'm doing this fluid change on daughter's 2013 ML350, 75k

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
DIY for 772.9 transmission flush

If you have a 7 speed transmission, here are some great DIY tips for the full flush.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I avoided doing it myself on my 164 because of the requirement to get the level right with the fluid within a specific temperature range, and I couldn't find out how to do that without STAR Diagnostics.

This time, I paid the dealer so I'd have some chance of getting help should the thing go flat on me before it's seen 100K miles.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
510 Posts
What is the average price at the Mercedes dealership for a transmission fluid change? I asked a local Mercedes independant and he is asking for $700! He said that it takes a lot of ATF to ensure that all of it is replaced. I have replaced the ATF myself on most of the other Benzs I have owned but my new to me 2015 ML350 has an extended warranty that requires a professional to do this.
Even with an extended warranty I don't think they can require you to use a "professional". A lawyer will need to step but the question is if Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act takes hold here.

quote from a lawyer site cannot find link it disappeared from my history.

"You can take your car to any sevice center or do stuff on your own. This does not void warranty. It is a common misconception that it automatically voids it. Same thing applies to getting aftermarket wheels, alarms, stereos, etc. Some dealers will right off the bat lie to you and tell you warranty is void by any non-dealer work performed"

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
461 Posts
Just did the maintenance for my 2012 ML350 (spark plugs replacements & transmission services) @ my local MB dealer FJ in Newport Beach CA, both services cost $1027.13 (break down $605.44 for transmission + $563.36 for the spark plugs), minus the discount my SA given me (check with my indy, the price of theses 2 services ONLY $100.00 different) I head to MB (it has the records on my car's files) so I get the services done @ Fletcher Jones dealership. So...you have the idea how much it cost...

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Even with an extended warranty I don't think they can require you to use a "professional". A lawyer will need to step but the question is if Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act takes hold here.

quote from a lawyer site cannot find link it disappeared from my history.

"You can take your car to any sevice center or do stuff on your own. This does not void warranty. It is a common misconception that it automatically voids it. Same thing applies to getting aftermarket wheels, alarms, stereos, etc. Some dealers will right off the bat lie to you and tell you warranty is void by any non-dealer work performed"
Except that extended warranties are usually not warranties as defined by Magnuson-Moss. They're more like insurance policies. They an and do enforce the "professional service" requirement.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
510 Posts
Except that extended warranties are usually not warranties as defined by Magnuson-Moss. They're more like insurance policies. They an and do enforce the "professional service" requirement.
Thanks I knew someone would come along and answer my query! Was hoping there was an out, but thought it would be as you described. Some thing to consider when buying into one.

·
Registered
1991 300SE, 2015 ML350
26 Posts
I'll share my sizeable research and actual experience with my 2015 ML350 tranny.

My car DOES NOT have the start-stop option, but it DOES HAVE the auxiliary fluid pump mounted below the torque converter! Weird.
This pump will have to be removed to gain access to any holes in the bellhousing for reaching the torque converter drain. I haven't removed this unit - yet.

However, after a long search, I found only one guy who tried to drain the converter (on a 2012 ML350) and he was absolutely unable to reach thru the too-small hole in the bellhousing and access the drain plug, which did exist but was mounted at an angle making access with an allen wrench virtually impossible for him.
I looked up photos of used 2011-2015 ML350 transmissions and did confirm that the access hole is VERY small and mis-located in relation to the converter drain plug. Seems, as he concluded, the only way to remove the plug would be via access to a larger hole on the upper rt side of the bellhousing at about 10:00 o'clock. It's no piece of cake to reach either. Then rotate the engine, drain it, rotate it back up and try to get the plug back in. OUCH.

After seeing this mess, I concluded that no dealer would EVER try to drain the converter on this model.
Reports herein of using 6 qts fluid seem to confirm this. That's just the qty I used draining the pan only.

Maybe they could do a flush through the lines, but can't find any confirmation that a dealer ever has.

So, for now I opted to change the pan fluid and filter at 40k instead of waiting to 75k. Hopefully before I reach 75-80k and face decision time again, more data will surface about the mysteries of the undrainable torque converter plug on the w166 ML350.

Now to figure out how to change the unreachable spark plugs!!!!!!!
I hate this car already.

cheers,
DG

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1999 CLK 320 conv, 2015 ML350, (2011 ML550 gone, C320 wagon gone, 2005 C240 gone)
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually do the tranny fluid change myself on all my cars. I cannot on the w166 because of the extended warranty that clearly states that I need all services done by an approved mechanic. Anyway, for all the transmission fluid I have done on my other current and previous cars (Benzs, VW, Volvo etc..) I dont bother draining the torque converter and I proceed as follow:
1) Drain the transmission and measure how much was drained.
2) Drop the pan and clean it
3) Replace the filter and put the pan back
4) Refilled as much ATF as I have drained
5) Start the engine and go through all the gears while keeping my foot on the brake
6) Drain the ATF again and keep measuring how I drained
7) Do steps 4 to 6 two more times
8) Check the level of ATF and adjust if needed
After all of this I am pretty sure that most of the transmission fluid has been replaced.
The last ATF replacement I did was 4 months ago on daughter's 2011 VW Jetta. The car would go in limp mode (stay in 2nd gear) after driving 20mns on the highway in hot days. My daughter brought it to the VW dealer and they told her the transmission had to be replaced. The car had over 160k miles and the ATF had probably never been replaced. She brought me the car and I proceeded as explained above and the car now drives like brand new, it cost me $95 of ATF. My daughter put 1500 miles since then and the car still goes perfect. The ATF had probably never been replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts