Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok on my engine when your lookign at it formt he from on the right side infront of the air filter housing theres a little bar look slike a stabalizer bar kinda anyoen knwo what that is? because mine is vibrating at idle, it almost sounds like a knock (but my baby ain;t knocking)

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,686 Posts
Here is your part:

Accessory Belt Tensioner Shock . About $30 to replace and about 2 hrs of time to remove all the parts to get to it. If you are real happy around tool boxes, it is a no big deal DIY. If not..... then off the the mech.

Attachments

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my belt is dry rotted and very very loose when i put the new belt on coudl that make it stop rattling?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Its possible that the belt tensioner has failed or loosened due to the worn belt. There is a specific procedure to loosen the tensioner and remove the belt. There is also a specific way to put the belt back on. If you don't follow the procedure you could end up damaging the tensioner and thats a pain in the butt to replace. Do a search for tensioner I'm sure someone has explained it here before.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I JUST REPLACED THAT... not a do it yourself project... you have to remove pulleys and stuff... and i also had that vibration... do not use crow bars to loosen up the pulleys because now my fan belt pully is F"""D i cant tell if the vibration is gone because now theres another noise... UGHHH

·
Registered
94 S500, 99 G320, 99 C280 Sport
1,128 Posts
The bushing fell out of one of the eyes. I have the same rattle happening in my car.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
been there done that several times... make SURE and loosen the tensioner bolt BEFORE you try loosening the adjusting bolt. this shock is not a big deal to replace, it does take some knowledge of what tools to use, but within DIY range. one of my eyelets came out causing this same knocking noise and i repaired it using some fuel line. no biggie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts