Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Eddie Cee, there isn't really much to add to the discussion that would help you. Your W215 and the W220 of the same model year will have very similar systems, and I suspect that most of what s already here would carry over to your car.

However, SAMs are expensive; before throwing money at parts, you would be wise to have diagnostics performed at a dealership or a good independent, and handle the problem from there.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Eddie Cee, there isn't really much to add to the discussion that would help you. Your W215 and the W220 of the same model year will have very similar systems, and I suspect that most of what s already here would carry over to your car.

However, SAMs are expensive; before throwing money at parts, you would be wise to have diagnostics performed at a dealership or a good independent, and handle the problem from there.
Absolutely, but before he runs off to find a diagnostic workshop, he should open the drivers door and on the side of the dashboard is a plastic panel, pull this off and inside is a fusebox, check all the fuses in there.

·
Registered
2003 SL500 15,000 miles
19 Posts
The question that still remains after reading this post is "How do you replace the SAM module"?
I've unplugged the wires on top from the connectors near the fuses. Pulled the latches on either side, but when I pull up, there is resistance and when I look over at the side, there are wires coming from below that are connected to the underside of each fuse. This seems to stop the entire assembly from pulling up.

Question: Do I pull harder and is there enough length to the wires underneath that the whole unit is supposed to pull out as shown in this photo?

·
Registered
00 s430
113 Posts
You have a couple options here.

MUST:
remove the four plugs towards the bumper on top. 3 of them are visible in your pic and there should be a 4th in that cluster with a pink wire going to it. May be diff on your year model. Once those are removed you have your pick of options,

The easiest: take a flathead screw driver and put it in between the metal and the plastic. there are two slots, insert and twist, you can do one at a time and the SAM will pop off the fuse box.

Slide it down and off of the track. There are 2 on either side this is also how to align in it on re-installation.
Once its completely separated you can pull the fuse box out of the way and pull up on the SAM itself. Go slow, you don't want to clip/pull/break any wires. You should be able to lay the same on its side on top of the airmatic computer and pull off the first two plugs by pressing down on the release tab while pulling the grey release "lever" down.(or better put, forward, toward the release tab) you'll see it works kind of like a gear when it starts moving.

The teal/green plug you will notice has a small tab, you can use either a pick or the corner of your flathead to push it it and then down/out in order to disco with your fingers. I believe those are the CAN lines so be extra gentle with them. Then you will have full access to easily remove the final black connector with thumb and forefinger. SUCCESS

Option 2,
disco pos terminal @battery, pull up on the positive wire lock release to rear of fuse box, then begin taking off each fuse harness using flathead electronics or glass screw driver to release the tabs. I recommend taking pictures and going in order. the fuse harness not only plug into the box but each other on a lateral plane. once they are removed you can pull the whole assembly out and remove the harness going to the SAM per instructions above

·
Registered
2003 SL500 15,000 miles
19 Posts
Thanks! I ended up with Option 1. The SAM was slid down from the fuse assembly. Took it apart after that but everything was just circuitry and nothing was out of the ordinary. Now if I could just get the AC to work...

·
Registered
00 s430
113 Posts
Thanks! I ended up with Option 1. The SAM was slid down from the fuse assembly. Took it apart after that but everything was just circuitry and nothing was out of the ordinary. Now if I could just get the AC to work...
I mightve missed you previously in the thread.

What is it you're trying to do? Just replace the SAM or something else?

·
Registered
2003 S600 Designo (Mocha Black / Espresso) 204k+
11 Posts
Although I will take the Beast to local indy shop, any suggestions would be helpful. Here's my situation:

After engine heats up and then car is turned off (doesn't matter if key is removed from ignition or not), I get EPS, ABC, BAC, ABS error codes. All show up EVERY time this happens. Rear brake lights then are on for the duration until the quick fix is implemented. Soft close driver's door also fails at this time. Car will still start and run, but with pre-safe inactive. If one then turns off the ignition, the car will no longer turn over.

Almost always, removing the negative terminal on the battery for a few seconds clears all error codes, car starts and runs like a champ.

From previous posts, sounds like front left SAM, but could also be rear one with the brake lights integrated into the failure cascade.

2003 S600. ~220k miles. Designo mocha.

Thoughts?

·
52,804 Posts
Although I will take the Beast to local indy shop, any suggestions would be helpful. Here's my situation:

After engine heats up and then car is turned off (doesn't matter if key is removed from ignition or not), I get EPS, ABC, BAC, ABS error codes. All show up EVERY time this happens. Rear brake lights then are on for the duration until the quick fix is implemented. Soft close driver's door also fails at this time. Car will still start and run, but with pre-safe inactive. If one then turns off the ignition, the car will no longer turn over.

Almost always, removing the negative terminal on the battery for a few seconds clears all error codes, car starts and runs like a champ.

From previous posts, sounds like front left SAM, but could also be rear one with the brake lights integrated into the failure cascade.

2003 S600. ~220k miles. Designo mocha.

Thoughts?
What are the fault codes?

·
Registered
2003 S600 Designo (Mocha Black / Espresso) 204k+
11 Posts
FRA A 1426, FRA V 1426. That's all I got out of the A/C unit when searching for error codes. Got it to malfunction today after 10 minutes of driving and temp just at 80C. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't have a STAR and want to be armed before going back to Indy. Recently replaced key fob, as both Indys I use from time to time said that was likely the culprit.

·
52,804 Posts
Sorry but those codes are not fault codes, impossible to even start diagnostics without codes, especially on a complex problem such as this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a very old post.. hopefully someone sees this... the control unit went on me about 6 months ago... now we have constant battery drain.. would anyone know what which sam would be responsible for this to occur....TIA!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Your best bet would be to follow the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia posts on quiescent battery drain (Sources of Excess Battery Drain, in the electrical section at post 10 of the Encyclopedia) and locate the malfunctioning piece of equipment before assuming it is caused by a SAM. The encyclopedia is in the blue-backgrounded area at the top of the first page of the W220 forum, and is one of the "Stickies" that maintains position instead of moving down as it ages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
W211 E280 CDI

]Hi, the problem with my Merc is interrupted with the operation of the tablet, the headlight on the headlights loses the light from the radio and the panoramic roof does not work.
Whether this is from the SAM module and whether these modules are different for diesel, petrol and panoramic roof ??? If that SAM is a module I will know which one is compatible with mine. Thank you!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts