Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used the search feature, but now more confused than before.

I have a 1998 S500. What transmission do I have and what fluid does it use?

WDBGA51GXWA387324

Thank you.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
I used this on my 98 S500 last week.I used four gallons, but I wish I had five gallons.

I did a whole fluid exchange.On my 722.6 transmission. I changed the filter and pan gasket too.

Valvoline MaxLife Dexron / Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1-Gallon: Automotive : Walmart.com

If you can find Shell ATF 134, that fluid would be better, but I cannot find it anymore.

The shell stuff sells for 5.30/quart.

Do not use the Mercedes Stuff.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1562466-mobil-1-shell-valvoline-atf-722-a.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1641061-atf-722-6-96-99-w140.htmlMartin

·
Registered
1998 S500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
I respect everyones opinion. What you are looking for in fluids for your car is " the approvals" The Valvoline is approved for NAG1(Chrysler)=722.6. The NAG1 has the identical internal parts to 722.6xx, I rebuild transmissions. Just to lay down the the black and white answer. The Shell 134 it says it is Mercedes Spec for 722.6, but when the transmission rebuilders buy parts for a Chrysler NAG1 the transmission parts dealers do not refer to it as a NAG1, but a 722.6. Now a the same time, I would not use any Dexron III-Just the one(s) for NAG1 or 722.6 transmissions

Some will say the Mercedes and the shell stuff are Synthetic based; The Valvoline is not synthetic. Many members here have used the Valvoline for years without problems.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1620180-who-have-have-been-using-valvoline.html

The dipstick tool, should be an important Mercedes tool to have. I use mine a lot. I have the factory one.

With what I read on these forums both fluids are fine for me.My E320 has Shell 134, My S320 will have Dexron III very shortly(I'm nearing my tranny rebuild), and My S500 has the Valvoline stuff in it as of last Friday.

My S500, Like I said, I exchanged ALL the fluid so I got nearly 100% of the old stuff with 100% of new stuff in. The oil pan and torque converter oil change will get you about 70% or so, and the pan oil only will get you around 40 something percent.

Hope this helps,

Martin

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
I respect everyones opinion. What you are looking for in fluids for your car is " the approvals" The Valvoline is approved for NAG1(Chrysler)=722.6. The NAG1 has the identical internal parts to 722.6xx, I rebuild transmissions. Just to lay down the the black and white answer. The Shell 134 it says it is Mercedes Spec for 722.6, but when the transmission rebuilders buy parts for a Chrysler NAG1 the transmission parts dealers do not refer to it as a NAG1, but a 722.6. Now a the same time, I would not use any Dexron III-Just the one(s) for NAG1 or 722.6 transmissions

Some will say the Mercedes and the shell stuff are Synthetic based; The Valvoline is not synthetic. Many members here have used the Valvoline for years without problems.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1620180-who-have-have-been-using-valvoline.html

The dipstick tool, should be an important Mercedes tool to have. I use mine a lot. I have the factory one.

With what I read on these forums both fluids are fine for me.My E320 has Shell 134, My S320 will have Dexron III very shortly(I'm nearing my tranny rebuild), and My S500 has the Valvoline stuff in it as of last Friday.

My S500, Like I said, I exchanged ALL the fluid so I got nearly 100% of the old stuff with 100% of new stuff in. The oil pan and torque converter oil change will get you about 70% or so, and the pan oil only will get you around 40 something percent.

Hope this helps,

Martin
how do you remove the whole 100% fluid? because when i took it in for a tranny service they only did the pan and torque converter. in your opinion is it easy to rebuild a 722.6 compared to the older ones?

·
8,064 Posts
My Method for Fluid replacement on the W140 with a 722.6

My method:

1) Drain the pan, replace the filter(save the old filter by the way-we will do something later with it), and replace the oil pan gasket. If you can measure how much fluid you drained out, so you can put the same amount in.
2) Always inspect the transmission pan for debris, and particles; Then clean the pan.
3) Do not drain the torque converter. Just assume it does not have a drain plug.
4) Remove the bottom front cover behind the bumper, about dozen 10mm coarse thread bolts
5) Late model W140 has multi-piece cooler lines, they are not one piece. A spring coil protected hose comes out of the bottom front center of the engine towards the radiator, and it connects to the bottom-center metal cooler line near the bottom of the radiator.The hose looks like a(about a foot-long) big-U, and has hex-ends; It is removable from both ends. To remove the hose you'll need 19mm and 17mm wrenches
6) To exchange the fluid, I like to use clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store, or home improvement center here.1/2" or 5/8" inside diameter.If 1/2" is used the hose will need to be cut at 45 degrees, so it can be slipped over the mail threads exposed from the removal of the small cooler line. I put a hose on both ends, but the fluid will come out from the engine side. I use about 3ft(buy six feet or two meters) for each end, and route the hoses through the the front bumper bottom grill openings
7) Buy a four quart or four liter translucent graduated plastic paint bucket from paint store or home center
8) Lightly clamp the hoses to the bucket, so they move around, but the hoses are not crimped closed
9) Oil will come out from one of the vinyl tubing, but we need both, so you do not make mud-pies on the ground with transmission fluid everywhere. Once you do this for the first time you will know where the oil comes from, and all you need to do is connect only one of the vinyl tubing lines.
10)Roll the drivers side window. Now start the car(leave it in park), get out an look at the bucket as it reaches the 2 liter or 2 quart mark(that's why you want a translucent bucket, so you see it from the outside). I will take 15 to 30 seconds to get to the 2liter or 2 quart mark. Stop the engine!! If you went over or under by little no big deal. Just do not go over the 4 liters, you do not want to run out of fluid in the pan. Keep it safe, and just empty out two quarts at a time.
11) Make note of how much oil came out, and put the same amount back in OF NEW FLUID through the dip-stick tube with a new funnel, because funnel used for motor oil can destroy the o-rings in your transmission, just get a new one.
12) Pour out the old fluid into a recycling container.
13) Repeat step 10 trough 12 You will see new RED fluid come out at about four-gallons, but exchange out two to four quarts to get all of it out. Measure your fluid with the Mercedes measuring dip stick, so you do not over fill it.
14) On the last time, screw in the cooler line to the cooler, and disconnect the hoses. Add oil get the dip-stick measurement close to the cold measurement side. Remember the oil is measured with engine on, and warmed-up. Save several quarts, so you can add a once you drive the car around.
15) You are done with the fluid change.
16) Now dissect your old filter like these 722.6 videos to see what your future will be like for your transmission.

You'll rest assured a little work will get the fluid from the transmission cooler lines, cooler, valve-body, torque converter, and every "nook and cranny"

I do this general process for all makes and models.

Hope this helps,

Martin

·
Registered
1992 300D 2.5T (124.128) 1999 S320 SWB (140.032) 1999 E320 4Matic (210.082) 1984 300CD (123.153)
177 Posts
Just a little info....According to Mercedes-Benz.
The 722.6xx transmissions use fluids from Fluid Spec Sheet 236.14. I have attached images that show to use this spec sheet from MB as well as spec sheet 236.14 -- I hope this helps in your transmission fluid selection.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
I found rotating the torque converter wasn't difficult. The hex bolt came out and a load of red fluid followed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts