Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rather stunned to see a gorgeous cream-yellow SL450 '80 today at a local lot.<br> <br> It has 120,000 miles on it and I can have it for about $8,000. Comes with a hard top.<br> <br> That car is made the same month and year I was born in 1979.<br> <br> What I am basically wondering about is how it drives compared to the current generation of cars in general. I enjoy music with sunroof open, so my primary concern is what's the noise level like when driving topless?<br> <br> I am looking for a toy car for just the two of us, not a daily driver. I have a Toyota RAV4 '00 for my boring day life. I think that a SL450 would be perfect for night life and weekend roadtrips.<br> <br> I probably won't buy that particular SL450, but I am intrigued by the style of the R107.<br> <br> By the way, are there any particular years and models to avoid in the R107 lineup?<br> <br> Thank you.<br> <br> Leonid

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought a 1982 380SL about 4 months ago. It was very nice cosmetic but needed a lot of work mechanicly. I was fortunate that the previous owner was very truthful with me and listed all that he knew it needed. He had stared restoration but had grown tired of the process. His asking price was $7000. Everytime he told me something it needed I got est. and finally offered $5000. To my surprise he took it. All that to answer part of your questions.<br>
<br>
I live in Southern Calif. and my top stays down all the time (Car cover at night when parked). Top down in city traffic sound system is suitable<br>
for us. Highway speeds not so good but if you want to spend big bucks you can do something about it. Check performanceproducts.com. <br>
<br>
This SL is also our weekend car with occasional trip to work during the week. In 1967 I owned a '64 Corvette Stingray which I have always thought was the greatest car I ever owned (wish it was still mine). I have owned many cars since then and now have one (380 SL)that driving fun is right up there for me almost as much as my vette. Of course I am a lot older now and do not have the need for speed as I use to have. My thirty year old son calls the SL 'an old peoples convertable' SO BE IT.<br>
<br>
Go test drive the one on the carlot. Check the web there are quite a few for sale.. Be patience, I looked for six months before getting what I wanted. Only you know what you can afford.<br>
<br>
Love my 380SL that is in slow restoration.<br>
Ray<br>
San Pedro, CA

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pros and cons from my experience

I bought a 1989 300SL (6 cyl, not sold in USA) for my wife. Even though I am a MB freak, I must say that I am not particulary impressed by this car. I would never buy one for myself.<br>
<br>
Pros: <br>
+ Nice looking car. If you buy a later model (1986-89) you get a quite modern car with Ok comfort, that can be used as an everyday car (also wintertime with hard top!), with the classic looks from early 70´s. <br>
<br>
+ Increadibly solid built. <br>
<br>
Cons: <br>
- Poor space in front. I am 6ft2' and I feel very clastrofobic. <br>
- Seats are not that comfortable. <br>
- Car is quite heavy, and handling is not that great. It is defenetely not a sporstcar!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought there would be at least a few replies defending the W107 SL! Since there was not, I have to do it my self. <br> <br> If you like the W107SL, buy one! If you know that you are not buying a sportscar and you are not too tall, it is a very good compromise of a classic with almost old-timer status, and a car that also make sense ecomanically and that you can use everyday. The car is probably also nicer to drive with a V8. You are not that old, and for sure you will be different from your friends driving Mazda MX5s, newr BMW or whatever they are driving. <br> <br> Becasue of the large nubers of cars made, pluss the long production time, service and spare parts are not that expensive. Lots of parts are also shared with W116, and on later modells W126 S-class. Quality is very high. My wife's car is not that old, and it only has 45,000 km (28,000 miles) but we never had a single problem in two years. However, if you can afford it, I recommend the newer models 1986-89. Interior design si much nicer and they are younger cars likely to cause less problems.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one here to defend their SL

I thought there would be at least a few replies defending the W107 SL! Since there was not, I have to do it my self. <br> <br> If you like the W107SL, buy one! If you know that you are not buying a sportscar and you are not too tall, it is a very good compromise of a classic with almost old-timer status, and a car that also make sense ecomanically and that you can use everyday. The car is probably also nicer to drive with a V8. You are not that old, and for sure you will be different from your friends driving Mazda MX5s, newr BMW or whatever they are driving. <br> <br> Becasue of the large nubers of cars made, pluss the long production time, service and spare parts are not that expensive. Lots of parts are also shared with W116, and on later modells W126 S-class. Quality is very high. My wife's car is not that old, and it only has 45,000 km (28,000 miles) but we never had a single problem in two years. However, if you can afford it, I recommend the newer models 1986-89. Interior design si much nicer and they are younger cars likely to cause less problems.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Help, Help, Help on wheel swap out for 450 SL to ASA Type 8

I have just purchased as 79 450 SL Vin # 107044129955???. Original alloy wheels on the car. Wanting to dress it up, have an opportunity to purchase a set of five ASA Type 8 wheels and tires in good shape. <br> <br> Question is, will they fit without clearance problems and do I need spacers and/or different lug nuts? Also need to replace muffler system and told parts alone excluding 2 manifold pipes which appear to be in good shape but who knows will run $500/$600. Can anyone comment on cheaper way to do job and/or leaving out catalytic? Appreciate advice fron anyone who knows replacement parts that will work. Believe the place I intend to take car to for work has machine that is capable of bending pipe.<br> <br> Appreciate all the help I can get ASAP as I need to make a decsion on the wheels immedicate and think I am going to buy them because I also own an 86 SEL on which these wheels came as original equipment........ <br> <br> e-mail: '[email protected]'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts