Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz - C230
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys

i noticed today while looking in the engine compartment i had some oil on the plastic apron that is underneath the engine on the right front

the oil is directly underneath the part that sits under the alternator, can u guys tell me what the part is and is their some kind of hose on that side of the engine that would have oil going thru it??

i checked the 2 lines that have the wire coil wrapped around them and they r good to go no leaks and r clean looking....the oil is good so i know the head isnt gone on it

what could this leak be coming from??.....:eek:

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
The drive belt system, plus indications of what each part/pulley is for, should be illustrated by diagram in the car manual - Usually towards the backpages.

I do not have my manual to hand at work to be sepcific.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz - C230
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok if its the drive belt system.....where is the oil im leaking coming from on that front side of the engine compartment under that part??

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
I think you are referring to the air pump underneath the alternator, and no oil comes out of that, air only. Seems like there is alot of oil leaks going on lately. It would be best to take some pics. so we can get a better idea. The coily hoses are the transmission lines. It sounds more like an engine oil leakage vs. a tranny line but without seeing cannot say for sure. If its leaking down then block then it could be head gasket or cam magnet, valve cover. If its isolated lower it could be pan gasket or front main seal. Are you loosing any antifreeze? B

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have same leak on my 280 its strange im trying to pinpoint where it is but there is no room to get in and look so ill probably end up doing a project to restore engine timing chain heads gasket set cam blah blah blah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts