Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 DoKa Cabrio Mod. 1967
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to take my 404 to El Mirador at the end of the year with a group of other 4x4 lunatics. That is the place where Mel Gibson shot some of his latest movie about the Mayas. There is no access road, no fuel, not much on the way. My mog has the Petronix ignition. Considering the spare parts I need to take on the outing, I have following question: what can go wrong if water gets into my Petronix ignition, and thus what spare parts must I take with me?

Much obliged,

·
Registered
78 406
251 Posts
I would take whatever is needed to revert back to a points system. Of course you could buy a spare petronix, but you know if all else fails the good old point system is probably going to work. I just like the old systems for reliability and parts availibility. Of cource I am with Jim Ince's thinking that the best ignition is the original military points, plugs and wires. I have an M127 engine in my car and keep it points, just because thats what I know, and it works.

·
Registered
75 406
60 Posts
If WD-40 works on points, it should work just as well on electronic ignitions. I would just take a couple of cans with me. Patience is a virtue with a mechanical problem----mostly electrical ones.

john

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
You won't get water in your pertronix unless you completely submerge your truck when it isn't running. Even then, it's a sealed, potted electronic component, and it'll just be wet and not be hurt. If your pertronix module actually does get wet, your cap and rotor on the inside will also be soaked and your truck won't be running. Also, if the module is wet, I'd be worrying about figuring out how to get all the water out of your hydrolocked engine. ;)

As far as module failure goes, I would be far more concerned about some sort of electrical failure (like a ground going bad) breaking the module.

Bring a set of points, and leave the condensor attached to your distributor, and you'll be totally fine even with a completely failure of the pertronix.

karoja said:
I am preparing to take my 404 to El Mirador at the end of the year with a group of other 4x4 lunatics. That is the place where Mel Gibson shot some of his latest movie about the Mayas. There is no access road, no fuel, not much on the way. My mog has the Petronix ignition. Considering the spare parts I need to take on the outing, I have following question: what can go wrong if water gets into my Petronix ignition, and thus what spare parts must I take with me?

Much obliged,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts