Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching the best way to get rid of the noise in my unimog. I have read all of the posts and researched all the availible products. But I still am not settled on which direction to go. I see that some have rhino lined the entire inside of cab. Some have used all sorts of sound cancelation foams, pads and stuff. There are ceramic beads you can put in paint. But what works the best. I don't want to spend a lot of money and time and still have everybody in the mog screaming at each other. I get skull cramps just thinking about it. My three kids can yell louder than a 416 doka at 50MPH.

So if you have been successful at getting the noise down to an acceptable level. Please share. If you were not successful please share.

I am running conti. AC 70G tires, and have the heavy duty engine cover. Noise is almost bearable at 35 mph and grows exponetialy with increased speed.

As I see it, I have three options.

1. Lots of sound deadening stuff inside the cab and some underneath.

2. High speed hub gears to reduce engine RPMs. Would like to know if this helps. Anyone that has done this upgrade, please speak up.

3. Onboard sound cancelation intercom headsets like they use in the Baja. This costs anywhere from $1000.00 to 2000.00 For 5 person Depending on quality of headsets.
PCI Race Radios Intercom Systems & Communications
Racing Communications, Inc. [ INTERCOM SYSTEMS ]
660-4P 4 Place In Car Intercom System - 2-6 Place RRP660 Kits - rugged. radios
Racing Intercoms - Racing Intercom Systems

Thanks

Wade

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Dynamat or heavy foam between you and the engine, everywhere it will fit. Make sure the engine cover is well secured, and make sure your shifter boot is snug against the body. I used to keep a few of my dogs throw rugs tucked around the shifters, surprising how much noise it cut out.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Wade,

My old DoKa was fully insulated, it was much much quieter than any other's I rode in.

A big help is a good headliner, carpet, and dog house insulation. Atkinson Vos sells a heavy rubber cover that is supposed to really help.

The best way to stop sound (which is transmitted via vibrations) it to add mass. I never liked the idea of headphones, I have a set of noise canceling ones that I tried once, and while they worked, I felt dumb wearing them, and I didn't like the other noise they canceled (car horns, ect)

Putting a heavy Dynamat or roofing material over the floor, then a good quality marine carpet would defiantly help.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
I have a $1000 ANR headset I use for flying. They are carbon fiber ultra light blah blah blah. They work great while flying to reduce low resonance noise. I tried them in my pinzgauer and while they helped, it was more related to the passive part of the noise reduction. The ANR didn't really do anything. I found that Remington 30DB silicone ear plugs did the exact same thing and I didn't have a head set on. The only advantage to the head set would have been the ability to talk to others in the truck if I had an intercom setup.

As for price, I would just opt for a good aircraft grade 4+place intercom box for about $180 and some $200 headsets.

Or you could spend a bit more on the head set and get a good clarity aloft head set which is just ear buds and are much better on long flights or drive in this case.

First pic is the clarity aloft at about $500 ish per head set

Next is an inexpensive Peltor headset at around $200 ish

and then you have a 6 place intercom that can be custom installed or you can get the version that has all the plugs in one little box. But I like the custom setup because you could have headset jacks at every seat without having cords all over the truck.

You can find all of this stuff at Aircraftspruce.com

Attachments

·
Registered
U-406/416
688 Posts
Rino-liner looks nice, is durable, fun to wash, but it dose nothing to cut down sound inside the cab. I love the fact I can just spray out the cab, but thats about all it's good for. I think DokaTD is on the ball just get some avaition head sets or ear plugs and your good to go, it's not like you will miss you wife nagging you the hole time either. haha

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
Yep, having owned a bedliner company and having sprayed a few unimog interiors, i can tell you that it will not help with sound at all. But I did one 416 single soft cab in a funky way. The owner layed dynamat on the floors before we sprayed the cab. I never heard back from him so I don't know how it ultimately worked/held up. Cosmetically, it was OK. But for my money, I would lay as much dynamat as possible, then an aluminum backed felt padding with a nice auto carpet. I did this minus the dynamat in my doka and it was certainly nice. But it was still loud.

Ultimately, I suggest an SBU. They are so much nicer on the road.

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
891 Posts
I have a 4 place intercom in my SBU with passive head sets, picked up the intercom from Aircraftspruce (they have a great web site) for cheep on eBay, and got the head set from a friend with a plane. I am into the set up for $200 and I would not live with out it. I have the Ipod, CD, AM FM, VHF and CB tied into it. Works great, and you can always add the active headset latter if you come into some $$.

On a sound deadening note, I have used factory floor mats from full size vans cut to suit the floor and doghouse in my SBU, made a bit of a difference and did it for free. If you find a local van out fitter (trades service van) they will have factory mats for free, or cheep.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Headset intercom system looks awesome but is it legal to drive on a public road with both ears covered ?

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
891 Posts
Headset intercom system looks awesome but is it legal to drive on a public road with both ears covered ?

Not in BC.

But if you can't cover both, you could use single sided headsets and then you can talk in a normal voice and still hear the conversation. I found a large part of the fatigue was just from having to shout to be heard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, having owned a bedliner company and having sprayed a few unimog interiors, i can tell you that it will not help with sound at all. But I did one 416 single soft cab in a funky way. The owner layed dynamat on the floors before we sprayed the cab. I never heard back from him so I don't know how it ultimately worked/held up. Cosmetically, it was OK. But for my money, I would lay as much dynamat as possible, then an aluminum backed felt padding with a nice auto carpet. I did this minus the dynamat in my doka and it was certainly nice. But it was still loud.

Ultimately, I suggest an SBU. They are so much nicer on the road.
I had thought about putting bedliner over dynamat because I don't like the thought of carpet in the mog. I wonder how it held up.

I also thought about spraying more undercoating under the footwells. Seems like alot of noise resonates from this area.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
I had thought about putting bedliner over dynamat because I don't like the thought of carpet in the mog. I wonder how it held up.

I also thought about spraying more undercoating under the footwells. Seems like alot of noise resonates from this area.
In my case, the noise that could be tamed comes from the vibration of the sideboards and from the dump bed resting on the 4 balls. I need those plastic cup inserts. For the sideboards, I don't know what to do. Tried stick-on felt pads. Didn't last long.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,674 Posts
Noise reduction comes in 3 parts, and requires 3 layers:

Resonant Damping - This takes out the banging drumming noise of sheet metal. This is what Dynamat type products are for. 1/4 of the area roughly needs to be covered to damp the vibrations. Dynamat type products are actually constrained layer dampers, and are over and incorrectly used by many people as sound deadeners. Also, IMHO, dynamat is overpriced for what you get, there are better dampers.

Isolation - Typically closed cell foam. Put this as the middle layer. You need to isolate the vibration to prevent transmission.

Deadening - Lead or mass loaded vinyl for this. Put this as the top layer. To absorb low frequency noise you need to convert the sound into heat which is what a sound deadening layer does. it absorbs the sound. You need mass to do this, no replacement for it. 1/8" thick Mass loaded vinyl sheet weighs 1 lb per sq ft. Put 1/4: of this around the engine areas and floor boards and it will soak up a lot of noise.

C.

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,447 Posts
As I drive a lot with my Mog, I've been on this quest for a year now. I have begun taking dB readings as I make changes in the hope that I can help someday with a scientific method. First off, I have gone around the truck and tightened the seemingly myriad rattlythings (Mogish, Eruotruck sells the plastic cups for your balls, cheap, and they really help). This was worth a couple of dB. I have a soft top so a lot of sound comes in from around me. I sealed the area between the cab and bed which did not cut down the dB, but clearly helped as the noise is now noticable to the front not the back (and less crap falls onto my transmission and PTO shafts when filling and emptying the bed, side benny). New tires made another few dB's improvment (MPT-80's, which are not very quiet, I expect other tires would help a lot more). At the moment I have been attaching Armorflex, with contact adhesive to the body panels which has been helping and also keeps in some of the heat. I will share with all if I come up with some more information. Funny how only a few dBs make a huge difference. Cab started at 100dB's, and is now mostly below 93 dB's. Still in the yelling range, but getting closer to not ear damage level. While driving I listen to the radio or iPod with Skull Candy earphones which are exceptional ear plugs alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Noise reduction comes in 3 parts, and requires 3 layers:
C.

Do you have pictures of how you installed these in your truck and were they as effective as it all sounds. Once you installed how did you cover it up. W/ carpet, or did you just step on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I drive a lot with my Mog, I've been on this quest for a year now. I have begun taking dB readings as I make changes in the hope that I can help someday with a scientific method. First off, I have gone around the truck and tightened the seemingly myriad rattlythings (Mogish, Eruotruck sells the plastic cups for your balls, cheap, and they really help). This was worth a couple of dB. I have a soft top so a lot of sound comes in from around me. I sealed the area between the cab and bed which did not cut down the dB, but clearly helped as the noise is now noticable to the front not the back (and less crap falls onto my transmission and PTO shafts when filling and emptying the bed, side benny). New tires made another few dB's improvment (MPT-80's, which are not very quiet, I expect other tires would help a lot more). At the moment I have been attaching Armorflex, with contact adhesive to the body panels which has been helping and also keeps in some of the heat. I will share with all if I come up with some more information. Funny how only a few dBs make a huge difference. Cab started at 100dB's, and is now mostly below 93 dB's. Still in the yelling range, but getting closer to not ear damage level. While driving I listen to the radio or iPod with Skull Candy earphones which are exceptional ear plugs alone.

I was just looking to buy a meter to measure db levels before I got started. I searched for Armorflex and only found building materials. Is this a building materlial product? What did you put on the floors and did you cover it up with something.

thanks

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
In most jurisdictions, no. Some places don't even allow one ear covered.
Referencing my state of residence WA…

I believe you would be legal to have Noise Cancelling, ear muffs, ear plugs, noise reducing ear muff ETC on, as long as you’re not playing the radio, CD, MP3, IPOD ETC in them. Headphones for the purpose of playing music ETC could get you a ticket. Im sure communicating to a fellow passenger would also be legal.

Just as an FYI truck drivers for decades have worn ear plugs, especially dump truck drivers, logging drives ETC. big old and noisy trucks....

RCW 46.37.480: Television viewers ? Earphones.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts