2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have YOU raced in your W123???
tell us all about it!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
On extremely curvy roads even a 240D auto can be competitive. Especially with a good tires...

On extremely curvy roads even a 240D auto can be competitive. Especially with a good tires and rebuilt suspension. That being said, my 240D stick sometimes beats overloaded 10 ton trucks of the line.

A turbo 300D can do surprisingly well in traffic.
Most people won't thrash the 82-85 300D turbo.

My latest addition a 280CE has not been tested yet....
John Gregg

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Actually...

I saw someone yesterday here in SoCal on the 101 last night making really good time and actually weaving through traffic! in a 300CD turbo, Champaigne and nice looking, I might add. I had to do a double take in my rear view just to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Does hwy 101 in southern cal have the same great curves and switchbacks that are in Northe...

Does hwy 101 in southern cal have the same great curves and switchbacks that are in Northern CA?
John Gregg

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Not so much...

LA's a big flat swath of land. There are few exceptions- 2 lane roads that wind through the hills seperating west LA from "the valley". That's where I can take on bigger SUV's- They'll tailgate me impatiently on the straights leading up to the curves (not much I can do about that), but the 300TD smokes them through the twisties! No joke, tires squealing through turns- they can't keep up! =P

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Re: Not so much...

LA's a big flat swath of land. There are few exceptions- 2 lane roads that wind through the hills seperating west LA from "the valley". That's where I can take on bigger SUV's- They'll tailgate me impatiently on the straights leading up to the curves (not much I can do about that), but the 300TD smokes them through the twisties! No joke, tires squealing through turns- they can't keep up! =P
That is fun smoking SUV's, not many chances in Dallas, but there were many on a local MBCA trip through the mountains of Oklahoma and Arkansas
John Gregg :)

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I think the idea is not so much to race, but keep up with everyone else on the road. My '8...

I think the idea is not so much to race, but keep up with everyone else on the road. My '85 300D turbo can actually pass some cars...occasionally.[:p]

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Re: I think the idea is not so much to race, but keep up with everyone else on the road. My '8

I think the idea is not so much to race, but keep up with everyone else on the road. My '85 300D turbo can actually pass some cars...occasionally.[:p]
The Turbo makes a difference. We put a trans in an 84 300D Turbo sedan. It runs great, low miles but is not really clean as my much slower mint 78 300D non turbo.
May put the 84 Turbo on ebay.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
123 racing...

I remember seeing a website of a guy who races 240d's. aparently he had some asskickig tuning method and could keep up with some heavy hitters. Shit, I can't remember the name... I'll get back with it in day or two...
-matt-

·
Registered
719 Posts
There is also the European W123 280E. That car must be like a rocket. I remember driving...

There is also the European W123 280E. That car must be like a rocket. I remember driving my 1985 280SEL, while pickup was a bit lacking, once the revs started to climb, she turned into a real screamer, pulling like the autobahn beast she was. I wish I had another 280.[:(]

I believe the 0-60 time for a 280E was about 8 seconds. About the same as a W124 300E! Now that's a fast W123, eh?

Can you guys picture a 280E blowing past a brand new Mercedes C240 in a race? What an embarassment! That would be cool![:D]

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hm, Are you from Europe???Cause, the Euro W123 280E did not do the 0-60 is 8 secs....

hm,
Are you from Europe???
Cause, the Euro W123 280E did not do the 0-60 in 8 secs.
the 185BHP and the 240NM of torque pull this baby in about 9.5secs to 100km/h.
still very fast I think, for a 23 year old car...

(you'd still smoke a lot with this beast...)

greetzzz

matteus

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I bought a 79 280CE in #2 condition a few weeks ago. From an MBCA member. Had to work late...

I bought a 79 280CE in #2 condition a few weeks ago. From an MBCA member. Had to work late today and did not have time to get it inspected. Have been used to diesels with the exception of a 114 72 250C with webbers and cdi upgrade. Mercedes engines often run much stronger the the peak Horsepower figure would suggest. It seems like MBZ engineers a better then average power curve. Was not looking for a new MBZ but could not resist and now need to sell some of my collection to avoid an angry wife.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1985 300D
77 Posts
I raced a co-worker last night with my 85 300D Turbo, She has a 92 Honda Accord 2.2 liter ...

I raced a co-worker last night with my 85 300D Turbo, She has a 92 Honda Accord 2.2 liter stock. she took off and left me for about 1/8 of a mile but then the road went up hill and caught back up and passed her. I got pretty far infront of her. She had 2 other people with her and she never raced before so I'm not really sure if my car still would have won if someone more experianced was driving the Honda. I was surprised at how fast her honda accelerated. I think I will stick to racing dump trucks.

By the way her car has 50,000 miles and my Benz has 207,000

·
Registered
Various Rental Cars
310 Posts
I raced a pretty cocky guy in an ugly green C220. He was driving aggressively cutting ev...

I raced a C220. He was driving aggressively cutting everyone off, swerving left and right. I was in a jumpy mood so I pulled up next to him and my friend started laughing...

When the light went green I just punched it (no torque braking) and the diesel started better! It took him a while to catch up but he did! .... and sorry C220 but that I-4 motor sounded pretty bad. He also had a leaking... or aftermarket exhaust.

I lost... but... nice to know that the diesel wasn't beat by the lil gas engine that badly! Considering his car was at least 11 yrs newer...

Never raced anything else haha..

I don't like racing but on that day I felt like it. Next to the C220 was a yellow Corvette Z06 and the guy obviously thought it was amusing :p I didn't race him again though.

·
Registered
'79 280e
20 Posts
Eat imports alive on the freeway...

Often when I'm driving around the SoCal freeways I run into an unassuming civic, sentra, integra - whatever ya know.. anyway its just too much fun to pull up along side them in my 280 when they're driving all aggressive thinking they are so cool with their tack-on spoilers and whatnot - and I give them a look, i know theyre wondering if this kid in this ancient benz is serious!! So they take off and I let them go a little bit, only to hit the gas and accelerate from about 70 to 100 in no time at all leaving them in the dust - my car is very responsive at high speeds. I love doing that on the freeway cause thats the only place I can, they would tear me a new one from a stoplight! lol[:D]

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Honda Drivers

What is it with HONDA drivers? They are the absolute worst on the road! Age of driver and type of model seems to make no difference. I had a lady rear end me in the G-Wagen in a Civic. Bent my license plate frame and totaled the front end on the HONDA. She was not hurt, but the front end was demolished. They seem to think they are invincible. I really think they would be safer on a skateboard.[:(!]

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HAHAHAH
That is SO true! They really think no one can hurt them, cause they're driving...

HAHAHAH
That is SO true! They really think no one can hurt them, cause they're driving 'the best japanese carbrand' and so they can't stand it if they are being ignored on the road. 99% of all honda drivers is like this. (not 100, cause I know someone who drives one, and is not like this[:)][B)][:eek:)][;)][:I][:0][:0][:0])

matteus

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.