Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I've been pretty fortunate ... over my 71 years the only thing I've done with Brakes is replace pads and rotors. Never flushed out the Brake Fluid, just add some occasionally.
The only brake failure I've experienced was the Wheel Bearing failed in my 1969 442 while on a trip - right before I got home, no brakes, had to replace the whole steering knuckle assembly.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Top up sitting in the sun today with Leatherique rejuvinator while I'm on the course for 18. Will give it a shot of Leatherique pristine clean tomorrow. For a 34 yr old car that came from Florida the seats are in surprisingly good condition.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Got the 560 back yesterday, going to drive to my apartment in PA tonight. Ordered 6 liters of power steering fluid and a filter since the stuff in the car is pretty dark and I'm replacing the pump and supply line in my 190E 2.6, and ordered some shifter bushings. Spent the morning cleaning up the car a bit with microfiber cloths and quick detailer and found that the tires were caked with what appears to be a couple years worth of tire shine. Used an entire bottle of wheel cleaner to get the tires free of the goop.

Also began treating the leather with lexol and other leather conditioners and found that some areas of the car have never even been conditioned as my terry towels were picking up dye.

Edit 13JUL2019 23:36

Drove the car to Philadelphia, car drank a quart of oil on the Merritt Parkway so I stopped on Central Park Ave near the I-87 South ramp to refuel and replenish (stop was prompted by an intermittent flash of the oil light during brisk cornering at the start of the cross county parkway). So the car probably needs a valve job, probably why the previous owner traded the poor thing for a brand new Acura.

Then to add insult to injury, I'm getting barely any air from any of the vents since after that stop. I'll dig into that later when I'm not a sweaty tired mess, fan works, but it sounds like the fan is just blowing air in the fan box and nothing is really going anywhere. Center vent flap is operational which I guess is good news.

Currently parked on the street in Philadelphia, but I'll be migrating it to a garage tomorrow. Am also going to take it to go look at an apartment in King of Prussia tomorrow now that I have my start date from Merck & Co. Other than the rocky start of this ownership and my sunburn from cruising with the roof off, the car is generally sweet.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Highs and lows so far this weekend:

New Behr Hella Radiator arrived - was surprised/amazed to discover it was all metal, with (I think) brass tanks with Behr embossing. Based on all the info I could find, I was expecting plastic. At $370, brand new, very happy with that purchase (I was quoted $650 to recore the old one).

Fitted stainless m5 riv-nuts to hold the plastic fender-well shields (thanks RaceDiagnostics for that tip) - they now fit like a dream.

But I f^&^&^d up...and ran the drill bit through the wiring harness running inside the passenger side fender. Note to anyone else doing this - the second to front mounting hole on both sides has critical stuff behind it - wiring loom on the right, ignition coil on the left.

Now performing open heart surgery to repair the wiring....damage doesn't look too bad....

But, getting close to refitting all the front suspension - everything is rebuilt/repainted and laid out on the garage floor ready to be reinstalled.

-Steve

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Harness is fixed, and everything's now in place to get the subframe and front suspension in - hopefully early next week. Thought I'd post a couple of progress pictures... (apologies for the mess in the background... I know where all the tools are - honest!)

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
Did an oil change late last week (no photos because my last google pixel shit the bed). Oil consumption has improved to 1/2 quart per 500 miles even in the high heat and heavy stop and go driving to and from Center City Philadelphia during both rush hours. Moving to King of Prussia next week because I'm over the hour long commute back home each afternoon and the beating the clutch in my stickshift VW endures from it.

Did a PS fluid flush and PS filter change yesterday. PS fluid is probably one of the most overlooked fluids that will cost you an arm and a leg as the old ATF wears out the steering gearbox if left alone after burning up. In the background you can see my 190E 2.6 sitting in the garage which is also getting some pretty extensive PS work.

Ordered a hard top stand off of Amazon since I don't really have a place to put the tools required to make my own.

In other news, the engine has been getting a bit hotter than I'd like with temps in the 100 degree C range when sitting in traffic. I've ordered a new coolant tank cap as I can tell the current one is original and leaking, but I may need to check the viscofan and make sure the AC fan is working.

Next on the to-do list is transmission fluid/filter and differential lube. Diff seems to whine a bit on low throttle applications but it's negligible compared to the 190E and the hot garbage W124 I replaced with this car.

Timing chain, guides, tensioner, and cam oilers are in the schedule to be done in November. Having my indy do it because the last time I rolled a chain into one of these engines, it was an absolute nightmare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reassembled the exhaust manifolds today after receiving parts back from ceramic coating this week... hopefully extending their lifespan.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did an oil change late last week (no photos because my last google pixel shit the bed). Oil consumption has improved to 1/2 quart per 500 miles even in the high heat and heavy stop and go driving to and from Center City Philadelphia during both rush hours. Moving to King of Prussia next week because I'm over the hour long commute back home each afternoon and the beating the clutch in my stickshift VW endures from it.

Did a PS fluid flush and PS filter change yesterday. PS fluid is probably one of the most overlooked fluids that will cost you an arm and a leg as the old ATF wears out the steering gearbox if left alone after burning up. In the background you can see my 190E 2.6 sitting in the garage which is also getting some pretty extensive PS work.
First time i hear about a PS flush and filter change, how is that done?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The tires on my 81 380sl are all old and the front two are dry rotted to an unsafe level so I finally ordered two new ones after the fuel leak issue that I'll post when I get the pictures off another computer. Mine doesn't have the Bundt rims but what I guess are the post 85 rims. The car is at my brothers so I have to go there to work on it and instead of checking in person the tire size I looked it up and ordered 205 70R14's. When I went to take them off and bring them to have the tired put on I noticed they are 215 60R15 so I went in and got a refund and now have to order the right size. Debating whether to sandblast the paint off and repaint chrome or some other color. There's some paint coming off around some of the lug nut holes.
Moral of the story is always double check in person.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,483 Posts
The tires on my 81 380sl are all old and the front two are dry rotted to an unsafe level so I finally ordered two new ones after the fuel leak issue that I'll post when I get the pictures off another computer. Mine doesn't have the Bundt rims but what I guess are the post 85 rims. The car is at my brothers so I have to go there to work on it and instead of checking in person the tire size I looked it up and ordered 205 70R14's. When I went to take them off and bring them to have the tired put on I noticed they are 215 60R15 so I went in and got a refund and now have to order the right size. Debating whether to sandblast the paint off and repaint chrome or some other color. There's some paint coming off around some of the lug nut holes.
Moral of the story is always double check in person.

Check the wheel size. If original 107 wheels they would be 15X7 ET 25. OE tires were 215 65R 15.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Watched a video on how to Super Clean a Windshield and then did it to my 380SL, 560SL, LX480, and Camry.

Outside of Windshield:
- clean with glass cleaner and Microfiber cloth
- Clay bar glass
- clean again with glass cleaner and Microfiber cloth
- Wax outside of Windshield (car wax), and polish off with Microfiber cloth
(I used ordinary car wax on one SL, Johnsons Paste Wax on the other)

Inside of Windshield:
- clean again with alcohol and Microfiber cloth (video suggested better instead use a Magic Eraser)

First time I have ever paid this much attention to this level of cleaning Windshield.
First time I have clay bared windshield.
First time I have ever waxed my windshields.

Turned out very nice and clear.
Top down on both, took both out for a spin.
Its always good for the soul to ride with top down, wind in your hair, and AC on.
No music, just listen to the purr of a Mercedes engine.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Watched a video on how to Super Clean a Windshield and then did it to my 380SL, 560SL, LX480, and Camry.

Outside of Windshield:
- Clay bar glass
- Wax outside of Windshield (car wax), and polish off with Microfiber cloth
(I used ordinary car wax on one SL, Johnsons Paste Wax on the other)

Inside of Windshield:
- clean again with alcohol and Microfiber cloth (video suggested better instead use a Magic Eraser)

First time I have ever paid this much attention to this level of cleaning Windshield.
First time I have clay bared windshield.
First time I have ever waxed my windshields.

Turned out very nice and clear.
Top down on both, took both out for a spin.
Its always good for the soul to ride with top down, wind in your hair, and AC on.
No music, just listen to the purr of a Mercedes engine.
Great info... can you post a link to the video.

bTw... my Mercedes engine makes noises that I'd be hard pressed to categorize as a purr. More like banging a pot with a spoon. :(

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Great info... can you post a link to the video.

bTw... my Mercedes engine makes noises that I'd be hard pressed to categorize as a purr. More like banging a pot with a spoon. :(
How to Super Clean Your Windshield:

Have you found the source for that noise?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
How to Super Clean Your Windshield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkfrY2owb0&t=425s

Have you found the source for that noise?
No. Drove all the way to Great Barrington and back... approx 300 miles... clanging away like mad. Today I'm going to pull the rocker covers again and recheck all the compensators for any signs of collapse. If it's not a compensator or rocker (follower?) then its something inside the engine which will have to wait until I pull the heads to repair the low compression on #6 (it's not that low but much lower than all the others).

bTw... half-way to Great Barrington I lost the A/C. Pulled off at a rest stop and found the A/C belt shredded and the Aux air pump belt laying on the frame. Amazing that both belts were still there.

When I got home I was able to turn the compressor so I thought it was ok, I replaced the A/C belt and the air conditioning started working again but when I pulled away from the house there was a loud screeching sound ... the belt didn't break but the A/C compressor was obviously experiencing problems. Rather than go through the process of pulling the fan off to gain access to the belt removal, I just cut it off with a shear and called it a day. I'll order a new A/C compressor and receiver/dryer. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Finally attacked the SLC louvers

After disassembling nearly the entire interior, I finally removed the grungy louvers. It was quite a battle! (Thanks to Meccatwin for the instructions -- from 2013). He was right about several hours of sanding to get them ready for paint. See before and sanded pix, below. I ordered the primer and silver bumper paint -- should be here tomorrow. I'll post pix when complete.

BTW, while trying to lower the rear power window to remove the louver assembly, the window regulator assembly froze halfway down, so I had a 7-day detour to completely remove, lube, and figure out how to reassemble a Benz window mechanism. Another old Benz learning experience!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I actually did it yesterday but I did something I've been trying to do for months. I took mine to my local Indie shop, to have the fuel system checked and adjusted, before I have it smog checked. I swapped out my single row timing chain engine for one out of an '85 500 SEC. I ran into snag after unexpected snag along the way but finally got it all sorted out. Also having then adjust the trans, since it was just rebuilt and is slipping. Hope to be able to take it for a drive next weekend.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Aircon was a bit weak in the SL over the last week, so yesterday I went to hook up my HVAC gauges. When unscrewing the low pressure port cap, the entire R-134a adapter fitting came off and discharged the remaining refrigerant in my air conditioning system. I've emailed the dealer I bought the car from and asked for them to fix on my time, at their expense. There is evidence of compressor oil around the port, indicating a leak over time, so it looks like they just overlooked the fitting when they did the R-134a conversion.

Car is still burning oil, but now I'm down to 2.5 quarts per 1000 miles instead of 4. Going to have the valve guide seals done when the chain gets done which should help fix the problem. I have not yet run a compression or a leakdown test, however I am not getting oil mist in the air filter housing from the EGR loop, the engine passes Kent Bergsma's famous oil cap dance test, and there are no gross leaks.

In other news, I crawled under the car and replaced the rear shocks and did one of the 2 shift bushings. The old shocks were Bilstiens made in Western Germany, were completely blown, and were leaking.

Also noticed that the rear muffler is completely shot.

Protip for people replacing shift bushings. Don't bother using grease or sunroof paste as a lubricant, get some silicone spray, it works 10x better, especially if you have Kent's shift bushing tool.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts
About this Discussion
183 Replies
48 Participants
DHartman66
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing