Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1541 - 1560 of 1571 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450SL
38 Posts
Today the weather was great in eastern Okla so I tackled tie rods and steering dampener
My steering has always had some play and the rod ends were a bit ragged. I figured the dampener was shot and it was quite sloppy.
After putting it all back together without event, time for a test drive, I opened the garrage door put it in reverse and nothing! It’s stuck! And oh the what the hell could I have possibly screwed up??? Oh remove the blocks dumb ass!!
Fortunately the test drive was great and drivability improved greatly and I wish I had done this long ago. $42 2 bolts and 10 minutes for drastic improvement only problem now is my wife is more comfortable driving it 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,775 Posts
And oh the what the hell could I have possibly screwed up??? Oh remove the blocks dumb ass!!
I'll bet $10 that everyone on this forum has done that at least once. :)

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,618 Posts
When a 107 is properly tuned, it won't let wheel blocks stop it. At least that has been my experience a number of times 🤭

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,712 Posts
I'll bet $10 that everyone on this forum has done that at least once. :)
Nope, lost your 10 bucks nobby
But I will stick my hand up for a month ago
Caught up with a few people down the surf coast, we realised we meant to park 100 metres down the other car park
Went to re start Molly, nothing
Ignition lights come on, but nothing
10 things went through my head but I had to catch up with the others, so locked Molly and walked to the other car park
Came back an hour later expecting to call a tow, got in the car, keys in the ignition, automatically checked the gear stick, still in drive :rolleyes:
Put it in to park, away she went
Bloody dufus
Mates still remind me :p

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,550 ·
If I knew it would organize my shop I'd buy one to. Seems any flat surface ends up with something placed on top of it.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,618 Posts
If I knew it would organize my shop I'd buy one to. Seems any flat surface ends up with something placed on top of it.
I have one of those and what you say is true. I have 6 or 7 sockets sets of different types and sizes piled on to of mine. Need a bigger workshop. It has got out of hand.

·
Premium Member
'86 560SL Black-on-Black
47 Posts
Well... not just today. Playing a little catch-up.
Let's start off a year ago one week before Thanksgiving.
Took the "Ole Girl" out for a spin and barely got out of the neighborhood and limped back home. Turned off (died really). Opened the hood and could not figure out where the smoke was coming from. Looked under the car and the heavily flooded engine was leaking gas out of the first donut gasket and was on fire! Put out with a hose and let her cool down for several hours. Started back up and pulled into the garage mosquito fogging the garage and half the neighborhood. From the smell of the exhaust, I feared a blown head gasket. Checked compression and all cylinders at 180-190PSI. Whew, dodged a HUGE job there…

From that point on, I could barely get her started and always ended up severely flooded. So much so, I changed the oil twice over the next several months when the level went up well past the full mark on the dipstick from gas passing by the cylinder rings.

Fast forward to July of 2021. After hours reading MANY threads and posts and I decided I needed to examine the fuel distributor. What I found was obvious damage likely from ethanol fuel sitting too long several times over the past 9 years I’ve had her.
Finger Material property Wood Jewellery Thumb
Watch Wood Sculpture Jewellery Personal protective equipment

Ordered the rebuild kit from Precision Machinery and jumped in. As I reassembled it, I found one injector port cylinder adjustment screw was .006” different than the mean of the others. I adjusted it to match. I wish I had pictures of the process but basically I took a measurement from the milled surface to each screw and all were within .002” once complete.
Temperature gauge is from a rack of ribs on the smoker. multi-tasking...
Table Tableware Tool Brush Paint

When rebuilding the fuel distributor, the original control plunger nut gap was +0.6mm.
Light Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Gas Electronic device

That was off from the recommended starting point of -0.6mm below the jam nut. I assembled to -0.6mm and back on the engine she went. Adjusted airflow meter. Got her started but was way too rich still. It was very very hard stating hot or cold… more flooding. I decided to go ALL-IN and replace injectors, seals, nozzles, fuel pumps, filter, accumulator and all hoses.
Circuit component Hand tool Passive circuit component Tool Metalworking hand tool

Emptied remaining few gallons of gas to eliminate that variable. In goes 5 gals of non-ethanol premium, started her up and still too rich but at least she starts easier.

Now what? I went back to the control plunger gap I decided to set at -.6mm.
Off with the disti. Adjusted control plunger nut CCW (1-1/2 turns) to +.6mm (original position, duh). Adjusted airflow meter.

Viola! She runs… but now too lean from the overheating to 100°C+ and won’t idle. Ran her long enough to clean up exhaust and burn off residual fuel from multiple runs too rich.

Hmmm… too rich… not enough fuel… the control plunger isn’t moving far enough to let the correct amount of fuel to the injectors… even enough to idle.
Off with the disti… AGAIN. Adjusted control plunger nut CW ½ turn to +.2mm. Adjusted the airflow meter… AGAIN.

Now she starts hot or cold. Took her for multiple runs of 5 – 30 miles. Now to start and run multiple times and let the ECU do its thing. I’ll adjust the duty cycle and other more fine tuning once I feel comfortable with it’s regular hot and cold starting regularity.

More to do and update...
I’m planning a 2,700-mile round trip to Santa Barbara from Houston to visit my Dad’s memorial on what would be his 90th birthday, January 12th, 2022. I inherited this beauty from him after he passed in 2012. He bought her new and was his pride and joy. I’m sure he’ll love ‘seeing’ her again.

Benz Regards,
BruceBenzNut

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,555 ·
@Brucebenznut ... that was a great writeup. I enjoyed reading it.
To clarify, when you stated "Adjusted control plunger nut CW ½ turn to +.2mm", in the below photo that I pulled from your post are you saying that the control plunger is what the red arrow points to? And you found that it runs great when that control plunger rises above the flat surface by +0.2mm?

Like I said this was interesting and the reason I no longer run Ethanol gasoline in my two R107s.

Light Audio equipment Gas Auto part Technology

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,775 Posts

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
1,297 Posts
KJets aren't complicated if you send the components out for rebuild:):)
K jet distributors should last pretty much indefinitely assuming you take care of them. Doesn’t matter if it’s complicated if it never has to be serviced. Send to CIS Flowtech and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
'86 560SL Black-on-Black
47 Posts
@Brucebenznut ... that was a great writeup. I enjoyed reading it.
To clarify, when you stated "Adjusted control plunger nut CW ½ turn to +.2mm", in the below photo that I pulled from your post are you saying that the control plunger is what the red arrow points to? And you found that it runs great when that control plunger rises above the flat surface by +0.2mm?

Like I said this was interesting and the reason I no longer run Ethanol gasoline in my two R107s.

View attachment 2724761
@cwmoser, If I over 'benzsplain' here, I apologize... Pic is disti upside down so the center with your arrow is the control plunger. It's position upside down is static. In it's normal position, it would protrude out (below) the level in the pic. The adjustments I made were to the slotted nut which changes the position of the control plunger at various throttle positions (air flow meter positions) varying the amount of fuel getting to the injectors. Too far in below the jam nut, too rich. Too far out, too lean.

·
Premium Member
'86 560SL Black-on-Black
47 Posts
K jet distributors should last pretty much indefinitely assuming you take care of them. Doesn’t matter if it’s complicated if it never has to be serviced. Send to CIS Flowtech and be done with it.
For the time being, I have the time to tinker with it. It's my refuge from my 40hrs a week on the phone and in front of 2 monitors, keyboard and mouse. ;)

1541 - 1560 of 1571 Posts