Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1501 - 1520 of 1571 Posts

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
528 Posts
Finished Adding AFR wideband, CIS Control pressure gauge, USB, voltmeter and mic for phone. Tried to make it look like it all belonged instead of hanging on dash or sitting on dash. The zebrano wood piece was a PITA to get right. I had replaced the panel for the shift lever several years ago. It was much more red than the center original finish on climate control area. After removing the ash tray and making new piece it was really not matching. I redid the center piece for the climate control so they now are close to the same color.
The view angle from driver seat is not great on the fuel pressure but with the digital readouts it is fine.
Technology Gas Electronic device Electric blue Machine

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,618 Posts
I lost a set of keys including my 107 and 123 keys. Never did find them. A local locksmith who has been here for eons, had both blanks in stock and cut me new keys to match my spare set. Didn't charge me much. (Just checked - C$14 for two)

Found the previous thread:
(includes some tip on getting replacements)

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
1,297 Posts
I got mine on amazon but there are multiple retailers. Also multiple styles. Just google Mercedes wheel keychain.

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
528 Posts
Made a new back plate to hold my AFR and Control pressure gauge to angle up so they are easier to read from the driver's perspective. I got these because they are blue backlit and match the radio and also have a digital readout. The issue was the dial face is set back so they were hard to read being 90 deg from the base. It looks better now since it's now at about the same angle as the panel above it.
Next project will be a zebra wood cup holder.
Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,513 ·
I agree, looks very neat and creative @JHTx.
How are you tapping into the AFR and Control Pressures?

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
528 Posts
The AFR is a wide band O2 sensor in the exhaust replacing the narrow band O2. I set the Frequency valve to a constant 60/40 so it would stop leaning the mixture when accelerating. It works more like earlier models now instead of fighting the WUR or in my case the digital WUR which is set to enhance the fuel mixture with manifold pressure. I get the normal 14.5 AFR setting for cruse and idle with the ability to get temporary rich mixture when accelerating. The stock setting only goes to 60/40 with wide open throttle. With the digital WUR I set an enrichment curve with manifold pressure which the Lambda would interfere with if left enabled.
The control pressure is tapped from the WUR with a tiny ring fitting that replaces the copper washer. I got this from Unwired tools, They use it for their control pressure gauge. The tubing is PTFE which is rated 150 PSI working pressure and 500 Deg F temp rating. It comes which the 1/8 inch fitting which mates with the fitting for the pressure transducer.
I just bought the $45 pressure gauge and replaced the gauge with the transducer for the fuel pressure gauge.
Now I can easily set the fuel mixture correctly which was not possible without this. I can also see if the air filter is clean and if and how well the fuel pressure holds after shut down. Any small leak in the fuel system can be detected by turning on the ignition after a brief period. After an hour of so I will still see a small pressure before starting.

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,468 Posts
Dropped my throttle body off at my friends machine shop to get an adapter made for the Ford throttle position sensor I’m using.
I really need to get the tank pulled and cleaned of the old gas.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,519 ·
Nice. BTW, I've started using Meguair's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and it really brings out the shine. Easier to use than wax. Used it on both my red and ivory R107s, black color Lexus, white Land Cruiser, and white Camry.

I also applied Forever Black trim dye on the door handles, and all the rubber and it really made it pop. That was 6 years ago and still looks good.

I bet after you Clay Bar, it will really look good.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,039 Posts
Nice. BTW, I've started using Meguair's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and it really brings out the shine. Easier to use than wax. Used it on both my red and ivory R107s, black color Lexus, white Land Cruiser, and white Camry.

I also applied Forever Black trim dye on the door handles, and all the rubber and it really made it pop. That was 6 years ago and still looks good.

I bet after you Clay Bar, it will really look good.
Forever black is great stuff, last a long time. I just did the rubber around the mirror with it. The rest of the car was gone about 3 years ago. Will be doing some touch up. I haven't tried Ceramic hybrid yet. Im going to finish up with Meguair's NXT wax.

1501 - 1520 of 1571 Posts