Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
140 Posts
Yesterday, I took the door cards off to get started on a couple of items on the list. The driver's side door pull has been unattached from one spot. Haven't fixed that yet, but should be easy to remedy.

What took up the most time was diagnosing a problem with the passenger door not opening from the outside. The SLC has been like this since I bought it, and it's one of those items that drives me bonkers having to open the door from the inside.

After pulling the door card and getting familiar with the handle and latch operations, I noticed through the peep hole that the handle was not engaging the latch. After some persuasion, I got the two lined up and in sync with each other. Of course, it was not enough to get the latch mechanism to operate from the "door closed" position when pulling on the handle. It could not be that simple of a fix.

I then pulled the latch mechanism to inspect it to make sure it was working correctly. All good there, so I put it back in. I went through a few series of testing the latch, the handle, and the door lock to see what I was missing. At one point, the latch opened from the "door closed" position with the door handle being pulled. I still could not tell why and kept going through the tests.

I finally figured out that the position of the latch with the door being in the "unlocked" position was not being pushed far enough, and an arm within the latch would not engage correctly. I took the latch mechanism back out, attempted to bend that arm just a pinch, straightened what looked like a very slight bend in another part of the latch, reinstalled it, and am now able to open the passenger door from the outside.

A lot of drama for making such a small tolerance adjustment. 😉
I still have the same problem with the passenger door that it doesn't open from the outside but a different cause. Seems the locking button on the inside of the door is to loose so after closing the door a couple of times it moves halfway and becomes locked from the outside. The solution is that i got used to always pull on the lock button every time as a precaution.

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550,1977 450 SL, 1980 450 SL, 2016GLE AMG
578 Posts
BAB85,
And you were surprised? That’s the way we like it to be, tight and responsive.

·
Registered
1988 560SL Currently, 1972 350SL (RIP)
403 Posts
Was just surprised at how much better it felt and how much it affected not only body roll but my steering. My sway bar bushings weren’t even that bad, just a little loose but feels like after the new bushings like I never even had a sway bar before this.

·
Registered
1973 450SL
144 Posts
Today we fixed the passenger side (LHD) power window.
Installed windshield wipers
Looked at power steering & coolant leaks
Installed new windshield/door rubbers. Real pain to do...
Continued to remove interior to replace carpeting...

Reactions: Ctskip

·
Registered
578 Posts
with little to no room in the doors is my problem.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
12,087 Posts
Balanced the wheels on Delilah. Was hot today so I took both Samson and Delilah for a spin to test out the AC. All is well, but Samson Need upper control arms. $$$$$

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,127 ·
Balanced the wheels on Delilah. Was hot today so I took both Samson and Delilah for a spin to test out the AC. All is well, but Samson Need upper control arms. $$$$$
Hey John, tell us what were the symptoms of Upper Control Arms failing, and how did you check them?
Is it visual inspection, wiggling wheel?

·
Registered
1987 560SL w/41k miles 1986 560SL w/17k miles
302 Posts
Replaced the antenna grommet on my 500 SL. Next up, replace the tail lights with NOS European tail light lenses from my stash.
Antenna.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
Showing my ignorance here, what’s the difference between The NA lights and the EU lights? Please enlighten us😊

·
Registered
302 Posts
Showing my ignorance here, what’s the difference between The NA lights and the EU lights? Please enlighten us😊
US DOT requires red reflectors and illumination near the rear corner on each side, just as they require amber reflectors and illumination at/near the front corners. Thus, US-spec SLs have a red reflector and side marker lamp built into the tail light housing (that wraps around the side) and the headlamp assemblies have a reflector and side marker lamp in the "wing" of the front corner lenses. Neither of these are on the Euro spec assemblies. In this tail light lens, you can see that it's amber all the way to the edge that wraps around the side. There is no reflector and no side marker lamp (see my owner's manual for bulb identification.)
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0731a.JPG

·
Registered
578 Posts
US DOT requires red reflectors and illumination near the rear corner on each side, just as they require amber reflectors and illumination at/near the front corners. Thus, US-spec SLs have a red reflector and side marker lamp built into the tail light housing (that wraps around the side) and the headlamp assemblies have a reflector and side marker lamp in the "wing" of the front corner lenses. Neither of these are on the Euro spec assemblies. In this tail light lens, you can see that it's amber all the way to the edge that wraps around the side. There is no reflector and no side marker lamp (see my owner's manual for bulb identification.) View attachment 2696216 View attachment 2696217
Very interesting. Thanks

Reactions: KentsCars

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cleaned up the Euro headlamp units and fitted NOS Bosch glass lens and NOS Bosch "wing" lens. "Correcting" the Federalized turn signal situation by deleting the US DOT rectangular under-bumper turn signal housing and patching the wiring to operate the turn signal in the "wing" lens, as it should be.
IMG_0736.JPG
9.jpg
IMG_0661a.JPG

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks nice, Did younleave the JC Whitney signal lights active?

·
Premium Member
74 450SL "Morgana" 73 280SE "Brutus"
1,149 Posts
I installed a new coil, tinkered with idle adjustment and ECU mixture knob.

Do I have ANY expertise to do this, of course not. It was a Saturday. And a beautiful day. So why not try?!?

😂

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,137 ·
I installed a new coil, tinkered with idle adjustment and ECU mixture knob.

Do I have ANY expertise to do this, of course not. It was a Saturday. And a beautiful day. So why not try?!?

😂
You seem to have an Adventurer personality type - very inquisitive and not constrained :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
:ROFLMAO: Heavens NO! I removed that nonsense 😁
Where do you drive the 107?
:ROFLMAO: Heavens NO! I removed that nonsense 😁
my question would be, is there a way to not only have a front signal, to appease DOT and incorporate not only a side light, which I like, but also put a signal in the front sidelight lens while keeping the required front reflector? I understood the reason for the JCWhitney signal is the original European side signal light wasn’t addiquite for NA regulations?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is there a way to not only have a front signal, to appease DOT and incorporate not only a side light, which I like, but also put a signal in the front sidelight lens while keeping the required front reflector? I understood the reason for the JCWhitney signal is the original European side signal light wasn’t addiquite for NA regulations?
There is no front reflector requirement, only rear end (red reflectors) and side marker reflectors (amber = front and red = rear). The European "wing" lens wraps around to the front a little where it meets the glass headlamp lens. Thus, the turn signal is visible from both the front and side of the car. While the Euro amber lens has a subtle "reflector effect" via the little dimples all over the lens, it does not have a true reflector, per se. (Be careful with to look closely at the amber "wing" lenses as some are smooth both inside and out with only a small strip of those little dimples.) On US-spec cars the reflector is not incorporated into the actual lens; rather it's a separate piece (see my photos below). I do not know if it will directly fit the Euro lenses, but it seems that with clever ingenuity it could be retrofitted. While the European spec units do no provide any side marker illumination from the "wing" lens (it serves only as a turn signal that's visible from both the front and side), it IS possible to re-work the wing lamp to function both as side marker light and turn signal. This will require replacing the bulb socket with a dual filament bulb socket and strategic wire splicing. Perhaps there's already a thread on how to do this. If not, I have pics of the harness plug block and headlamp wires and I can produce some illustrations for such a re-wire.
107 Front Side Reflector for Wing Lens 2.jpg
107 Front Side Reflector for Wing Lens.jpg

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,084 Posts
Euro spec turn signals are very visible from the front, and still from a fair angle across the car
US twin head lights didn't leave much room for front visible turn lights, hence the additional turn lights under the bumpers

20201019_171831(0).jpg 20201019_171807.jpg

1121 - 1140 of 1147 Posts