Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1146 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,940 Posts
This thread is supposed to be about what we have done to our 107 today.
It has been derailed. Let's get back on track.

Today, I noticed a "flap" about 1"×3/8" in the paint on passenger side rear fender. That area had been repaired about 2 years ago when I scraped it on garage door frame. Poor adhesion to primer. I cut the loose paint out, beveled the edge, sanded and applied first coat of touch up paint. Will need 1 or 2 more to build up to level of surrounding paint. Repair won't be perfect 🤫ì

As an aside - the touch up paint shop gave me 2 yrs ago was in a small plastic bottle. It was now just a hard lump! I still had paint in steel can that I got with the car over 30 yrs ago. It was still fine!

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,084 Posts
New shockers, front and back. Standard Bilsteins
It rode reasonably well before, but I just felt it could be better. Certainly is better now, compression is much more controlled

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550,1977 450 SL, 1980 450 SL, 2016GLE AMG
578 Posts
I painted the clear surrounds around the headlights. Gotta say , I impressed myself. Two primer coats, three paint coats and four clear. I sanded off the embossed lettering off the plastic surrounds first. Now for the 560 front air dams in. The ignition switch is in and the exhaust is in. The soft top is waiting to be installed, the cold air induction is in . Now ready for the 560 radiator, but first the lower bracket that I cut off a doner must be installed for the radiator, three days work , more coming this Monday

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,084 Posts
Oh, and new(ish) steering wheel, from Bulgaria of all places. They did a really nice job on new leather and a rejuvenation
This was what I had that the previous owner had installed, it worked and looked ok, just looked wrong when you know these cars
20200812_170824.jpg

And this is the replacement. Looks way better. Both steering wheels are 400mm
20210521_133519.jpg

·
Registered
1984 380SL
140 Posts
Spot on, It's an Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider 2.0 from 1990 in mint condition that I've also had since it was new with 55.000 km driven including a trip to the Mille Miglia in 2013.
Realized that you all like pictures so here are a few even though it's off topic and I hope nobody gets offended.
Regarding off topic and comments about women and 107:s that sort of drowned my question about my 380.

Doesn't anybody have an idea what could be causing this:
Also after changing the steering damper the steering wheel is nice and steady but when driving it i feel all small bumps and gravel etc on the road transplanting all the way to the steering wheel. It doesn't feel like the tires are out of balance just that you feel the structure of the road a little to well.
Are there any rubber things somewhere in the front that hardened in the last 37 years that i should change or any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,084 Posts
I'm sure I came across an Alfa just like this at a clients place recently @ed9msi, yours looks very similar . He said his biggest problem with it, and why he doesn't take it out as much as he used to, was other drivers kept bumping into his car because it was so low. And I can't help you with your 'road feel' other than when I first got my 107 I changed ALL rubbers, bushes etc in the front suspension when I first got the car. Did make a big difference. But very nice looking car, always loved the older Alfas for their raw driving feel

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,088 ·
Personally I like the banter between us guys. It keeps the reading material fun and less dry.

Many, perhaps most guys, just talk a little "risque" when we are amongst similar mindsets.
We in no way want to offend anyone and we love and respect our wives and daughters and honor and respect women entirely.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,364 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
409 Posts
Here is something I did recently. My 450sl was missing door pockets and had loose interior handles.

I bought two used panels on ebay and they were ALSO crappy and broken!! I had to cut up a license plate and fabricate new "tabs" for each door pocket. I attached using JB weld and clamps.

Oh and also I had to patch each panel using fiberglass. I really, really dislike 107 door panels...took about 5 hrs

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
409 Posts
nice, does that mat actually make a difference coming from the trunk? I have a box laying around from when I did my VW bus.

·
Registered
1981 380SL
28 Posts
nice, does that mat actually make a difference coming from the trunk? I have a box laying around from when I did my VW bus.
It does stop the popping of the metal if you push on it and does stop the dinging from tapping on it. The car doesn't run yet so its as quiet as it can be. I figured I'd put it on since I had it and had it all taken apart. The carpet is off the other side in the trunk so I'll probably slap it on that side to. I only drove it once or twice with the top up, but the windows are rotted out so its a little noisier than normal. Anything would help with the floor and back being thin sheet metal. Plus it was relaxing, like putting a puzzle together.

·
Premium Member
74 450SL "Morgana" 73 280SE "Brutus"
1,149 Posts
After a hiatus took the car out. Installed Pertronix. New brake booster and brake brake booster line. Oh, and new transmission cooler lines. No rhyme or reason, it was just a domino effect.

And as far as etiquette goes, I was terrified of joining a board with no car repair experience. Just an interest in learning. But the members here have always been welcoming and supportive. Made some of my best friends here. So a big thank you to you all.

My journey continues and I’m blessed to have your sage advice and jokes. Makes it fun for me otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
140 Posts
I'm sure I came across an Alfa just like this at a clients place recently @ed9msi, yours looks very similar . He said his biggest problem with it, and why he doesn't take it out as much as he used to, was other drivers kept bumping into his car because it was so low. And I can't help you with your 'road feel' other than when I first got my 107 I changed ALL rubbers, bushes etc in the front suspension when I first got the car. Did make a big difference. But very nice looking car, always loved the older Alfas for their raw driving feel
I understand what you mean since all other cars are almost twice the height today (I drive a miata NA as a winter car and that's even lower), so I'm very careful when passing other cars but I must say the Alfa creates a lot of reactions, positive that is. One of my neighbors is a school 1st to 6th grade and a lot of children, mostly boys wave and smile and comment, like wow what a car etc. Some year ago I almost ran a lady down that just jumped in front of the car at a gas station just to tell me what a beautiful car it is and wondered what brand it was and if it was new, well she couldn't believe it was 25 years old at that time.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
140 Posts
Tires for a start.
Shock absorbers.

Nice car, by the way. Love those cars.
Thanks nobby, new shock absorbers have been ordered so we'll see, have to check how old the tires are. By the way is there any instruction on how to change the shock absorbers?

Was also thinking about whether this subframe mount kit from Kent would resolve the issue with the roadfeel in the steering wheel, anybody done it?

All R107 C107 Chassis Complete Front Subframe Mount Kit
Store > Suspension Products > MercedesSource Kits
This is a MUST DO replacement if you want the original feel of a tight front end on your 107. Also fits all W114 and W115 chassis

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,429 Posts
After a hiatus took the car out. Installed Pertronix. New brake booster and brake brake booster line. Oh, and new transmission cooler lines. No rhyme or reason, it was just a domino effect.

And as far as etiquette goes, I was terrified of joining a board with no car repair experience. Just an interest in learning. But the members here have always been welcoming and supportive. Made some of my best friends here. So a big thank you to you all.

My journey continues and I’m blessed to have your sage advice and jokes. Makes it fun for me otherwise I wouldn’t bother.
You're always welcome here. Glad you like us.

·
Registered
1988 560SL Currently, 1972 350SL (RIP)
403 Posts
Replaced resistor plugs with some NGK BP5EY plugs and while it’s slight it did seem to run smoother. Probably more about them being new plugs rather than non resistor but I’m very pleased with the outcome. Have new wires but after looking at the ones on the car they actually look in great shape so i’ll just save these for later down the road.

Next up is chasing down the popping sound I am almost positive is coming from the front sway bar. The bolt thread is stripped and no matter how much you torque it down it just slips and won’t get any tighter and I can feel it’s slightly loose. I drive my car harder than I probably should so it’s needed for sure.

So close to having a car I’m really proud to drive, just gotta get rid of these embarrassing popping sounds and improve the warm up as it starts really rough until it gets warm and then runs perfectly afterwards.

·
Registered
44 Posts
(Yesterday) we took the hard top off for the first time and deployed the soft top. To my surprise it's in like-new shape. The vinyl windows just need cleaning. I added some carpet to my custom cart (see previous page) to avoid scratches, and set the hard top down onto the cart, with my partner's help. There's no play or rattling. The build quality on these things is stupendous.

While doing all that I found the source of the leak into the spare well (see previous page). The seals need replacing. All I can find online are Uro parts. Does MB or Bosch sell seal kits?

1081 - 1100 of 1146 Posts