Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1042 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 ·
Beautiful day. Got up this morning to wash my 1983 380SL.
Noted that only the front wheels needed cleaning - brake dust.
So, I washed the wheels, put the top down for the first time this year, and took "Angel" for a morning spin.

IMG_20210408_081326351_HDR.jpg

Reactions: benztag and Hijak

·
Registered
1985 380SL
67 Posts
I’ve had old blue out for the past couple of days just tooling around town. It’s close to 70 degrees and sunny, but haven’t put the top down just yet. I cleaned the engine bay today, and will have to put her away for a couple of weeks, but look forward to driving her again soon.

I have a coolant leak, but am not sure from where. There’s been a small spot underneath the car after it’s been parked overnight. I suspect the pump, but won’t know for sure till I can spend some time underneath. I need to replace the hoses anyway, but am not too keen on the idea of replacing the pump. And so it goes...

·
Registered
w108 & w107
210 Posts
I re installed my rear axles and began re assembly. I'm glad i reconditioned my original axles, and didn't buy new ones. Feels nice to fix and put back original components on the car. I'm not sure why they need to be held in place with bolts and clips - those things were a pain in the %#% to get out.
Just need to reinstall shocks, wheels and interior trim and she's back on the road 20210407_180412.jpg rear axles installed before diff cover installed 20210408_184424.jpg new rear diff support and rear diff cover installed

·
Registered
1988 560sl
260 Posts
I decided to look into the central locking system which has been non-functional since I bought the car. It was a surprisingly easy fix! I found a nick in one of the vacuum tubes only a few inches away from the vacuum pump. Until I get the proper diameter vacuum line for a proper replacement, a robust application of electrical tape is doing the job for now. All three lock cylinders (2 doors and trunk) actuate all four locks (including the gas cover). Man - is that nice. I was tired of accidentally setting off the alarm because I'd lock the trunk, go away, come back to the car, and open an unlocked drivers door.

Next gremlin, if I choose to attack it, is going to be the ACC. I pulled out the glove box liner to replace the foam tube but didn't find anything else obviously amiss back there. None of the air location controls work and I either get full cold or full hot. Not sure if the latter problem is related to this loose wire I found under the glove box liner, which I think is a line for a temp sensor somewhere but I've got no idea where this one is supposed to plug in..

2021-04-10 11.49.41.jpg 2021-04-10 11.49.43.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
2021-04-10 11.57.34.jpg

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,594 Posts
I decided to look into the central locking system which has been non-functional since I bought the car. It was a surprisingly easy fix! I found a nick in one of the vacuum tubes only a few inches away from the vacuum pump.
Learn something every day. I didn't realize that any of the 107s had a vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
899 Posts
My 87 Euro 300SL has a vacuum pump in the boot (trunk) for the locking system
Sits in a black rubber cover inside the right rear quarter panel, with the jack

20200816_085205.jpg 20200817_204831.jpg

·
Registered
1988 560sl
260 Posts
My 87 Euro 300SL has a vacuum pump in the boot (trunk) for the locking system
Sits in a black rubber cover inside the right rear quarter panel, with the jack

View attachment 2685584 View attachment 2685585
That picture actually helps me! The plastic part was loose and I thought it was a cover. Now I can see it is loose AND broken - because it is supposed to be a holder for the pump! I don't think mine has the part with the screw hole any longer.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,797 Posts
Learn something every day. I didn't realize that any of the 107s had a vacuum pump.
Same here Graham, my 1979 Eleanor doesn't have one in the trunk like the later models 🤔 luckily all works still well!

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
975 Posts
Woohoo! Central locking is now working! I have ordered the pod and parts for the gas flap so just that bit to do.

Something must be out of alignment at the back of my car because I had to 3D print a 1/2" extension for the rod attached to the vacuum pod for the trunk lock. Maybe there is an adjustment but I couldn't see one. STL file is attached (remove ".txt" extension).

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 380SL
132 Posts
I decided to look into the central locking system which has been non-functional since I bought the car. It was a surprisingly easy fix! I found a nick in one of the vacuum tubes only a few inches away from the vacuum pump. Until I get the proper diameter vacuum line for a proper replacement, a robust application of electrical tape is doing the job for now. All three lock cylinders (2 doors and trunk) actuate all four locks (including the gas cover). Man - is that nice. I was tired of accidentally setting off the alarm because I'd lock the trunk, go away, come back to the car, and open an unlocked drivers door.

Next gremlin, if I choose to attack it, is going to be the ACC. I pulled out the glove box liner to replace the foam tube but didn't find anything else obviously amiss back there. None of the air location controls work and I either get full cold or full hot. Not sure if the latter problem is related to this loose wire I found under the glove box liner, which I think is a line for a temp sensor somewhere but I've got no idea where this one is supposed to plug in..

View attachment 2685568 View attachment 2685569 View attachment 2685570
Is there some complete "wiring" schema for the central locking system? Reason for asking is that i had an alarm system added with electric solenoids for the doors and the company installing it disconnected something somewhere so the vacuum system stopped working and the company doesn't exist anymore so i can't ask them what they did.
My guess is that they disconnected something in the doors while they were in there but not sure since i don't know how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
975 Posts
Found this "historical artefact" under the cruise control amplifier. Looks like it's been there a long time. I'll add it to the $0.50 I found under the seat a few months ago. Treasure! :D

Andy

·
Registered
1987 300SL
899 Posts
Heh, it sounds like spring is in the air worldwide as everyone is pulling their SL from under the duvet and getting back on the road 🍀 🌞🚗:cool:
Better talk to CousinMB and Aussie about that :D
Yeah/na
Autumn/fall is here. Popped Molly in for her last list to the indy, hardtop on when she gets back
Thankfully the Germans do heaters well

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,594 Posts
You need heaters is Aus?

·
Registered
1984 380SL
132 Posts
Drove it to a MB expert for evaluation since it was 10 year ago i got a "historical" car insurance for it and the value has changed since then. 10 years ago the estimate was around 26.000 EUR, this time he was very unsure since he mentioned that there are nice 380 SL's and very nice ones but none of them is as nice as mine. He concluded it was in the same shape as when it left the factory 37 years ago. He said he would value it to at least 60.000 EUR today. What does the pricing look like, does anybody know?

981 - 1000 of 1042 Posts